telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Re: [HD] Get Ready for "Ultra-HDTV"

said by telcodad:

With Comcast compressing the current HD channels at 3:1 per 256QAM carrier, maybe with a more advanced compression scheme, they could get a QFHD channel squeezed into one 256QAM.

Here is a candidate for the compression scheme for UHDTV - "High Efficiency Video Coding" (HEVC), also known as H.265 (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi ··· o_Coding ):

"HEVC aims to substantially improve coding efficiency compared to AVC High Profile, i.e. to reduce bitrate requirements by half with comparable image quality, at the expense of increased computational complexity. Depending on the application requirements, HEVC should be able to trade off computational complexity, compression rate, robustness to errors and processing delay time.

HEVC is targeted at next-generation HDTV displays and content capture systems which feature progressive scanned frame rates and display resolutions from QVGA (320x240) up to 1080p and Ultra HDTV (7680x4320), as well as improved picture quality in terms of noise level, color gamut and dynamic range."

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I want to know when the heck we're going to see this encoding with Comcast.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

I want to know when the heck we're going to see this encoding with Comcast.

It begins candidate testing for "capture" this summer.

»www.itu.int/itu-t/workpr ··· isn=7752

I have posted about JCT-VC's efforts for the past few years. It is a good reason to not waste money on MPEG-4 rollouts. It is a fantastic solution to deliverable streams in tight bandwidth without the horrific side-effects that MPEG-4 demonstrates. HEVC will be a much better digital TV solution than the MPEG-4 joke that was forced upon us.

Things must happen before its delivered in-home:
Source back-haul must be upgraded to a better quality than today (especially Fox!!!)

CPE must be significantly increased to handle the brute computational force needed in smaller form factors and power use

Cost must be lowered with adoption in other areas before source material is prepared (UV discs and pay-IP-streams would help tremendously)

After that, THEN someone like Comcast would receive content with quality and cost adequate enough to encode further for home delivery. DirecTV as well. Press releases are fun, but have no bearing on the fact that the US is 5-10 years away for "live, non-special high paying special" TV. The Superbowl? Olympics? Much sooner than 5-10 years...

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Ok, but when will the new compression technology be made compantibe with current CPE like TiVo and Moxi and HTPC's, or currently deployed DVR's that are rented?
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol to markofmayhem

Premium Member

to markofmayhem
said by markofmayhem:

CPE must be significantly increased to handle the brute computational force needed in smaller form factors and power use

And given that they are still stubbornly handing out 6+year old DVRs and it's nearly impossible to get the newer 2+ year old boxes, I don't see this happening for a long, long time.