Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JakeSherlock

join:2011-11-09
Calgary, AB

[AB] D-Link DSL-520B and Actiontec V1000H

So. My issue is using windows remote desktop...

So I bought my own modem (D-Link DSL-520B). I then added a switch (Cisco-Linksys SE2500) to connect my own network and the Actiontec to. All is well in Windows remote desktop land.

However. The issue created with Optik is the constant pixilation. It rarely skips a beat with sound but video every 30 seconds. I am guessing it is the D-Link because...

I then stripped the connection to my PVR down. First removed the switch (Modem>Actiontec>PVR). Still glitchy. Then I removed the Actiontec (Modem>PVR). It works! and still glitchy....

I have read a ton on QoS and how Actiontec has special rules and maybe its Telus QoS and maybe it's LAN over power and maybe its my neighbours HAM radio and really all I know is that my pcs internet bandwidth is never affected by Optik but Optik is affected by my modem... Blah blah blah. I know for a fact the D-Link causes my solution and problem at the same time. What deep dark secret is it that Telus is hiding to enable a flawless connection with MY OWN modem?

Please help.

Oh and if it is the modems QoS, I would need help deciphering the user interface for setup. I'm not totally illiterate, just need some guidance.

-Jake

parallel_jay
Former TELUS employee, current P.I.T.A.

join:2006-02-08
Edmonton, AB
According to Dlink's product page, that modem is ADSL2+. Are you sure your port is ADSL2+, as Optik TV in most of the major areas is VDSL?

JakeSherlock

Calgary, AB
So your suggestion is that it is incapable of handling the bandwidth required? Seems plausible. I don't know the bandwidth requirements for Optik TV service?

-Jake

fuzzmania

join:2003-08-19
New Westminster, BC
reply to JakeSherlock
I'm curious to know why would you buy your own modem to use WITH the actiontec?
Expand your moderator at work

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to JakeSherlock

Re: [AB] D-Link DSL-520B and Actiontec V1000H

said by JakeSherlock:

So your suggestion is that it is incapable of handling the bandwidth required? Seems plausible. I don't know the bandwidth requirements for Optik TV service?

-Jake

Has nothing to do with bandwidth. VDSL is a different protocol than ADSL2+. Eventually Telus will be moving all TV ports to VDSL and once that happens your Dlink will cease to function because it doesn't support the newer protocol / speed / technology.

As for the glitches, does your Dlink even support multicast? The modem page and documentation do not mention it anywhere. If it doesn't support it, your TV will be glitchy with NO way to fix it. As a test have you ever tried just the Actiontec + the PVR?

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
said by nss_tech:

As for the glitches, does your Dlink even support multicast? The modem page and documentation do not mention it anywhere. If it doesn't support it, your TV will be glitchy with NO way to fix it. As a test have you ever tried just the Actiontec + the PVR?

I think it's because he is missing QoS for upstream bits with CS5 set. The modem only needs to act as a bridge and pass traffic, which the DLink does.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

JakeSherlock

Calgary, AB
reply to JakeSherlock
So here is what I have. The Actiontec now has Actiontec firmware and magically the Windows Remote desktop works. And the TV glitches rarely. It is strange however that the connection type is listed as ADSL2+ within the Actiontec (based on auto setting). QoS is on but not set to anything custom.

I agree with the statement that the D-Link passes info. Although I am tech savy, I am not modem tech savy and am not sure what implications any specifics would have on services such as using a D-Link in ADSL2+ or an Actiontec in ADSL2+? Seems to me the D-Link should be just as well equipped, baring moving to VDSL at some point.

We have tried Actiontec>PVR and it works although that was with Telus firmware and thus port forwarding didn't work.

I dont think I am out of the woods yet as I am sure QoS could be more defined. I'm not entirely sure what other settings I could benefit from having defined in a more refined way, if you know what I mean..? I don't know what exactly Telus had set custom otherwise I would set it all the same.

Thanks for your responses. Glad to know there are those who know what they are doing out there.

-Jake

JakeSherlock

Calgary, AB
New findings, again.

Actiontec>Ethernet Computer = max speed test at 7Mbps

Actiontec>Wi-Fi Computer = max speed test at 3.6Mbps

D-Link Modem>Ethernet Computer = max speed test at 14Mbps

Not a single thing was plugged in other than what I have listed (No STBs). Can't wait for Telus to upgrade their infrastructure.

-Jake

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
said by JakeSherlock:

Not a single thing was plugged in other than what I have listed (No STBs). Can't wait for Telus to upgrade their infrastructure.

Sounds to me more like your network is broken, the Actiontec can handle 100 Mbit/s of traffic no problem.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

JakeSherlock

Calgary, AB
It does, doesn't it? And I agree that there should be no issues. Using just the Actiontec would be great. There probably is something that I am missing as I am uneducated in this area..

-Jake

JakeSherlock

Calgary, AB

1 edit
reply to JakeSherlock
YAHHH! more free info. Just learned something new...

The telus rep I just spoke to explained that the Standard Optik service is based on an ADSL2+ service offering a maximum 15Mbps down. I just upgraded to the 25Mbps Turbo service which in turn utilizes a VDSL2 connection.

We will see how it goes..

-Jake