spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Curious1
@coxfiber.net

Curious1

Anon

[PvP] Hunter Question ?

I have a lvl 85 hunter and have been pvping with BM, but of late i have been wondering of either going MM or SV for pvp, which one of those specs would you folks recommend for pvp and what would a typical rotation look like?.Also i have gone for straight agil gems is this a bad choice while gemming for pvp or is it ok ?

Toon name : BoneHuntah
Real: Stormrage
Faction: horde(undead)

Skittles
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31

Skittles

Premium Member

Oh captain, my captain....

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to Curious1

Premium Member

to Curious1
BG or arena? As a hunter, you aren't gonna power-solo peeps... your job is to provide control and apply pressure... so kiting, silencing, disorienting, freezing, slowing, sleeping... so don't look for a rotation, look for strats against certain classes. Know when to use your disengage, master's call, feign death, pvp trinket... and how to force your opponents to blow theirs.

Noah1982
@va.gov

Noah1982 to Curious1

Anon

to Curious1
I dabble in pvp every now and then on my hunter and if you are already BM have you used the Chimaera pet? I have had a couple good runs with that particular pet.

MM has aimed shot which is an nice opener if your opponent has not seen you yet or they are distracted by some of your team mates, also your chimera shot heals you.

I have not played SV since the beginning of cata but it has the mirrored blades talent which is nice and the traps are a little more powerful.

Its ultimately what feels right to you. I love BM spec but it always seems a little less powerful than the others.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Curious1

Premium Member

to Curious1
Spec: MM. Use BM only if you're attempting a specific comp like "Beast Cleave" which ultimately is broken now anyways.

Gem for agility, ignore socket bonuses but make sure you activate your meta. (Which should be 2 red gems anyways).

CpnObvious
join:2010-05-05
Alexandria, VA

CpnObvious to Curious1

to Curious1
MM's the most common arena pvp spec, primarily because of silencing shot, readiness and the burst available to aimed/chimera. It also has more flexibility and consistency in its damage application (SV's too dependent on LnL and dispellable debuffs; BM's too dependent on being able to fully utilize TBW.) BM's role in arena is primarily as burst on certain 2's and 3's all dps comps, or as a freedom/spirit beast heal boat in some niche comps.

If you're talking non-arena PvP.. unrated BGs, w/e, do whatever you have fun with. Rated BGs, whatever your team wants.

Agi gemming is correct, though using one stormy (spell pen) gem and and the spell pen cloak enchant is not a horrible idea.

BM pvp "rotation" consists of maintaining high focus until you want to burst, then hitting BW and dumping an insane number of arcane shots into your target (along with kill commands). It's not really a rotation. If you have the 2 piece t13, you can afford to arcane a lot more outside of TBW without fear of being caught low during your burst phase.

MM pvp rotation is mostly about playing conservatively (ie, steady shotting a lot) until your teammate is ready to apply pressure and you're ready to lock out a healer. Then your teammate pops his CDs, you lock out the healer, and you unload with your chimera-aimed-rapid fire. Again, not really a rotation. Similarly to BM, if you have 2 piece t13 you can apply much more constant pressure outside of this "burst" period without as much fear of being caught at low focus at a bad time.

Hunter popularity is much higher than usual this season (it's still one of the bottom 3 classes at high rankings, but it's not at the absolute bottom, so that's a vast improvement), and it's almost entirely because the 2 piece t13 pve bonus allows hunters to actually generate on-demand focus more easily than at any time this expansion. No matter how else you gem or gear, I highly recommend getting the 2 piece t13 and making up your resilience elsewhere.

Disclaimer: I pvp very little this season. Observations about this season's stats and t13 utility are 2nd hand.

The0_o
join:2011-06-15
Silver Spring, MD

The0_o

Cpn How long have you played a Hunter?

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain

said by Ultraxion :

I am the BEGINNING and the END, mortals!!!

CpnObvious
join:2010-05-05
Alexandria, VA

CpnObvious to The0_o

to The0_o
I missed vanilla launch by a couple of months because I was out of the country on business. So, since 2 months after launch, whenever that was.
26364814 (banned)
join:2012-06-03
Richmond, VA

26364814 (banned)

Either does not do, must do can own do greatly diligently, the endeavour achieves well.

Suniojii
join:2009-10-31
Lakeside, CA

Suniojii

A Necro walks among us...

Caelharrad
join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO

Caelharrad to Curious1

to Curious1
"Either does not do, must do can own do greatly diligently, the endeavour achieves well."

That sounds like a fortune cookie written by Yoda. Color me confuzzled.
As to the OP's question, it's already been answered pretty thoroughly, but I'll chime in to agree that MM is generally accepted as the best PvP spec due to silencing shot and readiness. You're not going to be able to own a BG or arena all by yourself - you're more of a support role with good CC, that can apply pretty high burst DPS over a 20-30 second period.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium Member
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI

Snuffbox to Suniojii

Premium Member

to Suniojii
said by Suniojii:

A Necro walks among us...