spc
uniqs
booj
join:2011-02-07
Richmond, ON

booj to Sandroid

to Sandroid

Re: Bell to acquire Astral media

That's a giant list of content that will now never make it to Netflix.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

That's OK.

NetFlix is just a convenient method to do something which we already did before in another way.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to booj

to booj
The content industry sure likes to complain about piracy but they sure dont make it easy to obtain content via legal means do they?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

One thing which I find silly is that the 'BIG 4' US networks (CBS, etc) block Canadian IPs from streaming almost all content which originates from their production facilities.

Some of it we can stream thru Canadian networks' websites, such as CTV or Global, but why should CBS etc bother to block our IPs ?

Is it an agreement to support advertising revenue for the Canadian TV networks' streaming sites ?

Or something else ?

p2p was around before decent quality streaming became a reality, and will be around for a long time later.

So if they continue to make it difficult for us to get content the legal way, well....
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX

What I really do not understand is why are the telecoms so protective of the Canadian networks in Canada? I mean all they do is re air programming that isnt original programming . why does ctv city global and others need American programming? when that content is already aired to us on the US stations we subscribe to.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Is it an agreement to support advertising revenue for the Canadian TV networks' streaming sites ?

Or something else ?

International licencing agreements. They don't have the legal ability to make the content directly available to viewers outside of the US. Gotta love copyright law.

What drives me really nuts is when it's an extra-content style clip. Behind the scenes stuff, promo clip, etc, that isn't restricted under those agreements and it's still blocked off.