All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Vince_C
join:2007-03-30
Columbia, LA

Vince_C to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt

Re: [Equipment] Help selecting a Verizon Modem?

I initially purchased my UML290 from eBunk and it worked fine for quite a while.

It began having an odd problem, and I received a free replacement after a few calls to technical support. I simply removed the sim and inserted it into the new modem and it works fine. No activation necessary.

As for eBunk, just be vigilant before the purchase. Review the seller's information. They should have at least 98% positive feedback IMO. As I said, be vigilant in seller screening and you should have no problems.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Vince_C Please report if you begin having problems again. There are two classes of modems sold on ebay. Subsidized modems that have not been activated on the Verizon network and those that have and the contract has expired. Verizon expected those modems listed as new and never used, to be activated by Verizon and the purchaser to sign a contract. If a subsidized modem is used by a customer, without signing a contract with a SIM from another device, it is possible that Verizon will take the same action as they did with customers of a voice wireless MVNO using the Verizon network.

The MVNO in question only offered poor quality refurbished handsets. Their customers found they could buy new Verizon Impulse handsets, which Verizon expected to be registered by the customer on the Verizon prepaid network, and have the MVNO register the handsets under the MVNO's prepaid code. Eventually Verizon found out and set out a drag net deactivating Impulse handsets that were not registered by Verizon on the Impulse network. I wonder if enough subsidized modems are purchased for use with an existing SIM, will Verizon deactivate the modem or SIM!

Vince_C
join:2007-03-30
Columbia, LA

Vince_C

I am not having any problems at this time.

I initially purchased a used clear one off eBunk, and I had no troubles with activation.