how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

blue

join:2009-07-24
Magalia, CA

[Bill] Cost of internet without t.v. service

I've heard that the price of Comcast internet is higher if you don't have t.v. service. I currently have economy (1.5 MB) for $30/mo and Digital Starter. I'm thinking of switching to Directv. Would my internet bill increase if I do that, and if so, by how much?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
Economy Plus (3 down 768 up) is $35 a month for internet only for my location.
--
»www.TheExoticFish.com

RokHed

join:2000-09-09
Pennsville, NJ
Depends on your area.I have Direct tv and have had blast from comcast for $29.99 for a few years now.

SauceMaster

join:2004-08-01
Kokomo, IN
reply to blue
said by blue:

I've heard that the price of Comcast internet is higher if you don't have t.v. service. I currently have economy (1.5 MB) for $30/mo and Digital Starter. I'm thinking of switching to Directv. Would my internet bill increase if I do that, and if so, by how much?

Well you can usually get a promo if your a new customer. It can be 19.99 or 29.99 a month for 6 months or sometimes they will do 12 months if you talk nice I actually started on a 6 month promo for internet only and once that ran out I called. I didn't threaten to cancel. I just said I thought 59.99 was ridiculous for just internet only and I'd like to save money.

The rep came back with a even better promo of 12mths at 24.99 service. Sure beats 60 a mth. I have found in my experince with internet only they are more willing to cut you a promo than having tv also.

But to answer your question. Yes , internet only is more expensive without tv service. If you are not on a promotion.

talon_262

join:2005-01-08
Nashville, TN

1 edit
said by blue:

Not only are you going to pay full price on HSI if you're not bundling with TV or CDV, but you're also not eligible for any promotional prices on just HSI itself. Found that out the hard way a few months ago after canceling the Limited Basic service I kept for years just for that purpose (because we used DirecTV for video, never touching the CC video feed) like a bonehead. Wound up dumping DirecTV anyway and bundled Digital Preferred with the HSI; even paying for four extra HD boxes, I still come out ahead for six months and about even after this promotion runs out.
--

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1
reply to blue
Comcast dings you 10 bucks a month for not having their cable tv, we have Directv for our tv service, Comcast's cable here basically stinks and Directv is far superior. We have Blast! (20/4) on Comcast HSI, and pay $72.95 a month, it went up 3 dollars a month on our last bill, with no explanation. I wish they did it like Adelphia (who Comcast took over from here in Mendocino County) did here, you paid the same for HSI regardless of whether you had their tv or not. We can't get DSL in Redwood Valley so Comcast knows they have us in a bind, thankfully their HSI service has been fast, dependable and all around awesome.

Edit-I know your area pretty well, we do work over in Chico and up in Paradise every so often.

RokHed

join:2000-09-09
Pennsville, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to blue
Damn I must live in a choice area.. I pay 29.99 for 25/5 blast. I just keep renewing every 6 months. I have left comcast a few times over the years when they didnt give me what I wanted. After leaving them the last time they musta noted my account because ive payed 29.99 for at least a couple years now. I own my own D3 modem and dont have their Tv.

Thru My wireless router

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
Not a "choice area", but rather you are fortunate. Consider your situation not the "norm".

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to blue
In my neck of the woods [West Clackamas County, Damascus]: HSI only, is $15.00/mo more.

$44.95 with TV or Voice; $55.95 with TV. Doesn't include charge for Modem.

Limited basic TV is $12.75/mo plus taxes and fees. Other parts of the Metro area are different and many times more per month.

Mr Matt

join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·Embarq Now Centu..
·Comcast
·CenturyLink
reply to blue
I advise all of my friends that want to use Comcast for broadband and DBS for TV Entertainment to subscribe to Limited Basic. The cost for performance without TV is $62.00 and with limited basic is $68.00. Last year the difference was only $3.00 and is now $6.00. Unless Comcast gets the waver for encrypting limited basic, any cable ready television can receive all limited basic channels without extra equipment. This can be useful if you have guest rooms where you have TV's and do not want to pay for additional DBS receivers. If you do not need to provide televisions in guest bedrooms then skip the limited basic and save $6.00 per month.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to hortnut
said by hortnut:

In my neck of the woods [West Clackamas County, Damascus]: HSI only, is $15.00/mo more.

$44.95 with TV or Voice; $55.95 with TV. Doesn't include charge for Modem.

Limited basic TV is $12.75/mo plus taxes and fees. Other parts of the Metro area are different and many times more per month.

That would be in Oregon, for those that don't know.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
reply to RR Conductor
"I wish they did it like Adelphia (who Comcast took over from here in Mendocino County) did here, you paid the same for HSI regardless of whether you had their tv or not."

Just wanted to say Hi, and this may be the first good thing you ever said about Adelphia!

Hob
--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
said by hobgoblin:

"I wish they did it like Adelphia (who Comcast took over from here in Mendocino County) did here, you paid the same for HSI regardless of whether you had their tv or not."

Just wanted to say Hi, and this may be the first good thing you ever said about Adelphia!

Hob

Hi back, and not really, I give praise when it's due, and speak out when it's due. It's kind of like tipping, a nice waitress gets a good one, a rude and/or mean one gets little or nothing.

blue

join:2009-07-24
Magalia, CA
reply to blue
Thanks everyone for your input. Since the pricing is regional I guess I'll have to call them.