NCRGuy

join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to elwoodblues

Re: [Rant] F'n Canada Post

said by elwoodblues:

When one signs a contract or agreement, doesn't that imply you agree to the terms?

Only inasmuch as the terms comply with the law.

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
reply to elwoodblues
Did Canada Post give you an estimate of when the investigation would end ?

Perhaps they have stumbled on some high number of lost letters to the same destination (the GYM) and are investigating some corruption.

Note that Canada Post doesn't do "registered letters" much anymore. People send stuff by expresspost instead.

It is quite possible that your letter was processed as any normal letter and delivered as such with the maiman just delivering a bundle of mail to that location without checking if any of the letters inside required special handling.

In that case, CP will never find the letter since it was delivered.

Have you called the gym to confirm that they processed your cancellation letter ? Don't mention that you don't have proof of delivery, just mention it was sent registered mail and let them assume that you have proof of delivery.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
I was there yesterday, the young women behind the counter don't know anything, and the "Manager" is unavailable.

14 more days and I say buh bye...

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
Shirley the women behind the counter can see your membership's termination date on your file ?

lugnut

@look.ca
said by jfmezei:

Shirley the women behind the counter can see your membership's termination date on your file ?

"Surely you jest."

"Don't call me Shirley..."

micron06
Premium
join:2003-11-19
Kingston
reply to elwoodblues
Coming here to rant on a somewhat similar grounds...Posted a parcel using Air Parcel with tracking & insurance to South Asia on Mar 12. Tracking number shows only 1 line, that it was accepted at the post office, and no other updates.

Called Canada Post on Mar 20th to inquire what the hell is going on. They did the standard practice of opening a ticket with Claims department. It's been 3 weeks now and the item should have reached destination now but alas no such luck.

Called today and was told no update. So I asked whats the expected resolution time....and the answer i got was :drum rolls: 90 days!! Only after that i might be able to claim my insurance value depending on the Claims investigation outcome.

I asked if the parcel is still in my town or within province, I would like to cancel the shipment. Got a reply back saying not possible as it's against the Canadian postal laws.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
we ship most of our items at work through UPS...no, it's not the cheapest, but we have had the fewest shipping issues with them...stuff almost always (like, 99%) arrives on time as scheduled...half the time when we call DHL or Purolator, they don't even bother showing up to pick the packages up for sometimes 1-3 days...we have had issues with FedEx shipments getting delayed at the border, so we mostly ship UPS for urgent shipments...in our case, cost isn't really a concern...on time delivery is far more important, and UPS has been quite good on that.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

1 recommendation

reply to micron06
I'm impressed as hell with FedEx.

Seagate sent me a replacement hard drive, and I missed the delivery (UPS shows up at 5-6 at night), and they left a door knocker.

I called asking for re-delivery , they came back the SAME DAY.
HOLY SHIT.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
Tracking for legacy/conventional services cannot be done. you get a tracking number simply to help identify the package if it is lost.

»www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/persona···cels.jsf

Look at the "Tracking and Delivery Confirmation" column. This really means what it means.

Normal mail processing does not track letters/packages as they go through the system. The machines are not setup for that. Also, when you send international mail as "mail", the receiving postal agency has no obligation to track the package because regular mail is not a trackable service.

The tracking number you got was more of a receipt from Canada Post which makes it easier to initiate an investigation when package is lost.

When you send something express-post, priority post or purolator, then Canada Post negotiates with the receiving postal agency for equivalent service levels. So Express Post in Canada could be mapped to Global Priority (or whatever) in the USA.

Finding the equivalency is not easy to do before the package is sent, but once the tracking info has been sent to Canada Post (for incoming package), they can easily tell what canadian service will be applied to it once it clears customs.

Air Parcel is just general conventional mail. There is no tracking associated to it. Canada Post *may* have some internal tracking up to the gateway city where it boards a flight. But that is not something you would ever see.

Investigations for those services are an educated "looking for a needle in a haystack". They have a general idea of where this package should have gone through and will send messages to all those stations to look for that package in the stack of processed boxes. And once that is done, they then send the message to the receiving mail authority to do the same. This is why it takes time before they can have a conclusive response.

Consider a case where the package was sent surface by mistake. If, at the time you initiate the complaint, your box is in the middle of the pacific on a ship to china, they have to wait any/all shops to arrive at destination and the receiving agency sorting through packages and deliver it to the destination country.

Consider surface mail to vietnam that would be sent on a ship that delivers to shangai, with the chinese post office then sending it by truck to vietnam.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

we ship most of our items at work through UPS...

I won't deal with any company that uses UPS outside Canada.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

When you send something express-post, priority post or purolator, then Canada Post negotiates with the receiving postal agency for equivalent service levels. So Express Post in Canada could be mapped to Global Priority (or whatever) in the USA.

If they do that now, they certainly didn't do it several years ago when I had to send my Intertan Stocks to Wells Fargo in Minneapolis, and I chose Xpresspost. Once it hit the border it was "gone".

I was fortunate to find a sympathetic CP CSR who went out of his way to trace the envelope and find it was delivered. I kept getting a "the website is updated on Friday after 5pm" (when everyone has gone home for the weekend) BS.

My fault for being cheap.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
I'm pretty sure that is new. I use Expedited Parcel USA from time to time, and I do get tracking and delivery confirmation right to the recipient's door. It definitely wasn't like that a few years ago.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
You really need to look at the specs of the product you are buying. (look at the URL I posted it contains a table comparing the various service levels).

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

that's fine for you...but for many business customers where price doesn't matter, many of them prefer UPS...i have dealt with far too many problems with FedEx in the past year with Priority 1 shipments taking 3-4 days than i can remember...DHL and Purolator have cut-off times they need to be called by, whereas the UPS guy stops by our place every day around 4pm whether we have something for him or not (although, we often have at least one box for him)...keep in mind, these aren't $50 car parts where you are going to complain about $100 to ship them UPS RED...these are often items that run over $1000 and are needed to get a line back up and running, so shopping for the lowest carrier isn't important...getting it there is...and yes, we have had people request immediate delivery...chartering a Leer jet, stopover in Denver (?) to fill up with gas, then on to LA to deliver package, then return flight back to Detroit (somewhere around there) was almost $25,000...although, we can often get them to hold off until morning as that involves a TON of work and many customer balk at that price...we have done a fair amount of FedEx Custom Critical though...those guys are pretty good (and often only about $1000-$2000), but it isn't practical to use them outside of Illinois or Indiana...get too far away and it might as well just go UPS RED Early AM.
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to elwoodblues
I'm expecting some laser toner shipped out of Montreal today. Tracking says to expect it tomorrow. I've learned from experience not to hold my breath...

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by peterboro:

...keep in mind, these aren't $50 car parts where you are going to complain about $100 to ship them UPS RED...

No we are talking about a $50.00 car part by normal shipping that they gouge you $50.00 to act as a broker. Every time I order from the US now I ask who they use to ship and if it's UPS or they won't tell me I shop elsewhere.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
UPS charges about $40 to "clear" items through customs...it's not cheap, and certainly not really worth it for personal items...however, for business customers, they just want the items to arrive, so the little extra money is a non-issue.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by dirtyjeffer:

...however, for business customers, they just want the items to arrive, so the little extra money is a non-issue.

If the other shipping companies charge less on brokerage it doesn't sound like a sound business decision to go with UPS.

dirtyjeffer
Premium
London, ON
said by peterboro:

said by dirtyjeffer:

...however, for business customers, they just want the items to arrive, so the little extra money is a non-issue.

If the other shipping companies charge less on brokerage it doesn't sound like a sound business decision to go with UPS.

FedEx is comparable in price, but we have dealt with so many issues with them we don't use them...Purolator doesn't deliver cross border (they hand off) and DHL doesn't operate domestically in the US either...it's FedEx or UPS...and no, "mail" isn't an option.
--

- George Orwell

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to peterboro
You mean USPS the us postal service

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
No I meant UPS. I usually request USPS on smaller items as brokerage never seems to be an issue.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
I was wondering, because you were going on about $50 brokerage fees on a $50 car part so I figured you mixed them up.