how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Travis299

join:2004-08-03
Cary, NC

Airave question?

I have Sprint Airave installed in my home & it has a GPS function BUT it does not give 9-1-1 my exact location but a general area of where I am calling from. My question is what is the GPS used for? Thanks

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
It is used to make sure you are within an area allowed to broadcast sprint signal. Mainly to see if you took the unit outside of the country. They probably have other metrics they use the information for but without gps lock the unit will not function.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

seginus

join:2008-01-30
Worcester, MA
reply to Travis299
It could also be that it doesn't get a good enough signal. If you are not using the extension antennae cable attached to a window, that could explain the lack of precise coordinates.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

1 edit
reply to Travis299
said by Travis299:

My question is what is the GPS used for? Thanks

My understanding was it was there to meet the FCC location requirements for E911... move the gps antenna towards a window so it can see the GPS birds

Travis299

Cary, NC
I have the GPS antenna attached to the window and I am getting a good GPS signal. The problem is that the PSAP, (9-1-1 operator), does not have anyway to decipher the GPS coordinates into an address. That is what I thought that the GPS was used for.

seginus

join:2008-01-30
Worcester, MA
Huh. Sounds like it may be more of an issue with emergency services than with your Airave.

dib22

join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO
reply to Travis299
said by Travis299:

The problem is that the PSAP, (9-1-1 operator), does not have anyway to decipher the GPS coordinates into an address.

Tell the operator to google the coordinates

I agree with seginus... sounds like your 911 isn't E911 ready yet... of it is there is some malfunction between sprint and your 911 center.

Have your 911 center contact sprint's law enforcement contact center to get it worked out if they are indeed E911 ready!

Travis299

Cary, NC
»transition.fcc.gov/pshs/services···ome.html

Enhanced 9-1-1 - Wireless Services
The FCC's wireless Enhanced 9-1-1 (E9-1-1) rules seek to improve the effectiveness and reliability of wireless 9-1-1 services by providing 9-1-1 dispatchers with additional information on wireless 9-1-1 calls. The FCC's wireless E9-1-1 rules apply to all wireless licensees, broadband Personal Communications Service (PCS) licensees, and certain Specialized Mobile Radio (SMR) licensees.
The FCC has divided its wireless E9-1-1 program into two parts - Phase I and Phase II. Under Phase I, the FCC requires carriers, within six months of a valid request by a local Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP), to provide the PSAP with the telephone number of the originator of a wireless 9-1-1 call and the location of the cell site or base station transmitting the call.
Under Phase II, the FCC requires wireless carriers, within six months of a valid request by a PSAP, to begin providing information that is more precise to PSAPs, specifically, the latitude and longitude of the caller. This information must meet FCC accuracy standards, generally to within 50 to 300 meters, depending on the type of technology used. The deployment of E9-1-1 requires the development of new technologies and upgrades to local 9-1-1 PSAPs, as well as coordination among public safety agencies, wireless carriers, technology vendors, equipment manufacturers, and local wireline carriers.