spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Merc37
@184.20.129.x

Merc37

Anon

[Exede] Linking exede modem - cat 5 hub - wireless router

What is the recommended configuration to connect an exede modem - Cat 5 hub and a wireless router? In the past I connect the satellite modem to the Cat 5 switch, all computers via cat 5 to the switch and the wireless router to the Cat 5 switch. Since installing the exede modem the wireless router can not see the internet. Is this a problem of DHCP assignment of IP addresses?

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg

Did you give the router the new WAN address? From what I've read, it's 192.168.100.1
But I'm not understanding what purpose the hub may serve.

//greg//

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman to Merc37

MVM

to Merc37
I am with Greg in the lack of understanding. It is extremely unusual, and normally never recommended, to use a hub or switch immediately behind any modem. The normal scenario is modem, then router, then whatever distribution is required. In most common cases the wireless router is also a wired router with 4 or more ports - if more than that are required then a switch is ganged behind the built-in switch in the router.

If you have a "router" that only has wireless then that is effectively a wireless access point, and would normally be placed behind a separate wired router.

Your system will work only if the Exede modem can issue multiple IP addresses. Other Exede customers will have to answer that one.

Even if it can I wouldn't use it that way for a number of reasons, including the limitations it places on network topography.

Merc37
@184.20.129.x

Merc37

Anon

The wireless router has 4 ports plus an internet port. The swtch is on the network to accommodate multiple computers, networked printers, etc. filling a total of 10 ports.

So, do I understand, the preferred configuration would be to go from the Exede modem to the wireless router then to the switch?

In the past with a HN modem I had it going to the switch, with a connection from there to the wireless router (which only served wi-fi) with everything else hung off from the switch. That worked okay with HN but won't work with Exede.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by Merc37 :

The wireless router has 4 ports plus an internet port. The swtch is on the network to accommodate multiple computers, networked printers, etc. filling a total of 10 ports.

So, do I understand, the preferred configuration would be to go from the Exede modem to the wireless router then to the switch?

In the past with a HN modem I had it going to the switch, with a connection from there to the wireless router (which only served wi-fi) with everything else hung off from the switch. That worked okay with HN but won't work with Exede.

Yes, a Hughes modem can distribute many IPs, so it would work. Nobody has chimed in yet to say if an Exede modem can do that. However, the way you had it before, the WiFi clients were on a different subnet than the wired ones, not something I would personally want. By putting the router first, all machines whether wired or wireless will be on the same subnet.

DrStrangLov
@wildblue.net

DrStrangLov

Anon

said by dbirdman:

Nobody has chimed in yet to say if an Exede modem can do that.

With Wildblue, one is given a single public IP address, and with Exede, one is given at least one private IP address.

Discussion was brought up recently:

»Exede installed . . great speed - but home network stopped

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief
join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

grohgreg to Merc37

to Merc37
said by Merc37 :

10 wired devices? I ask, because you refer to it as a wireless router. Or are you adding the wired and wireless devices to arrive at a total of 10?. Because that limitation of 4 ports, is only for wired connectivity. Pretty sure you can dedicate all 4 LAN ports, and still have up to 252 more wireless devices connected (total of 256 addresses)

My wireless-N router for example has 1 WAN port and 4 LAN ports. Yet it supports eight wired/wireless addresses; a desktop, a laptop, two network printers, a NAS box, a HDTV, a DVR, and an Ethernet extension to my workshop.

//greg//
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth to Merc37

to Merc37
As no one has mentioned it yet, I'll take the the time....

Your configuration should be modem > router > switch.
I doubt you have a hub but if you do, its time to toss it. Switches will give far better throughput and better reliability.

Now as to why you need the router between the modem and switch is because it greatly improves your security. You do need to make sure that ipv6 is turned OFF on all the devices connected to it so that there is no tunneling.

Nat Routers throw out all incoming packets that are not specifically addressed to a device on your network. This means that random pinging and port mapping is not going to work to discover machines on your network.

I highly recommend turning off "reply to ping" and "remote configuration" in your router configuration as well.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman to grohgreg

MVM

to grohgreg
said by grohgreg:

Pretty sure you can dedicate all 4 LAN ports, and still have up to 252 more wireless devices connected (total of 256 addresses)

I'm reasonably sure, based on what he has said, that he has more than 4 that are wired, although it would be good to hear it spelled out.

Technically a standard router can provide 254 addresses (0 and 255 are broadcast addresses, and not usable by a device), but almost all home routers have a limitation of 20 simultaneous associations on the wireless portion. Some commercial WiFi routers, and many commercial access points, can do as many as 100 simultaneous associations, but the service becomes nearly unusable above 30.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm to Aranarth

Premium Member

to Aranarth
said by Aranarth:

Now as to why you need the router between the modem and switch is because it greatly improves your security.

My network is..

#1 Westell 6100F (in bridge mode) -> Hub/Switch.

#2 Besides a power supply connected to the Hub/Switch, I have two RJ-45 WAN port routers.

#3 The second RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN IP is in the same subnet and outside of the DHCP Range as my primary RJ-45 WAN port router.

For example if..

a) the primary router's LAN IP is 192.168.0.1

b) The Starting DHCP IP Address is 192.168.0.100

c) The Ending DHCP IP Address is 192.168.0.254

..Then my second RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN IP has to be between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.99

#4 The second RJ-45 WAN port router's DHCP Server is disabled.

#5 I added a route to the first RJ-45 WAN port router pointing to the second RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN IP.

#6 The primary and secondary RJ-45 WAN port routers are connected LAN to LAN.

#7 As to why, so that I can get into my modem combo while it is bridge mode.

This info is based upon »Re: Access to modem combo while in bridge mode
said by Aranarth:

I doubt you have a hub but if you do, its time to toss it.

I disagree.

While the user should replace the hub with a switch, it is not time to toss it.

They can keep it and use it only for

#1 Backup (In case their switch fails)

#2 OR quote from »Re: Access to modem combo while in bridge mode
quote:
I use true HUB on the WAN side of the router, it gives me better opportunity to sniff (troubleshoot) WAN traffic..

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

hdman to Merc37

Premium Member

to Merc37
I simply connect the modem to a wired/wireless router then to switches. That way, the NAT and firewalls in the router are the first line of defense for the items you put on the network.

I never use hubs....use switches.....
Aranarth
join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI

Aranarth

And the router (and you) gets to use DHCP to assign ip address...
worstellr
join:2012-04-14
Mexico, MO

worstellr to Merc37

to Merc37
Just got my own network transferred from HughesNet to Exede. Here's what I ran into:

Sequence is 1) Exede modem, 2) Wireless router, 3) Switch(es). Through this, I'm running 5 computers in the house, which takes care of everyone. And allows for expansion with wireless entertainment centers, access through Android Wi-Fi, etc. in the future.

The Exede modem will provide DHCP for a number of pc's if you just hook it straight into the switch. But the won't be on the same subnet necessarily and so it would be a mess to get them to share files, etc. (HughesNet would keep them all on the same subnet and worked fine this way, other than being horribly slow.)

As long as only your router does the DHCP downstream of it, you're fine.

In my case, I had one wireless router feeding another wireless router at the other end of the house. By connecting the incoming ethernet cable into a regular Cat-5 socket on the other (not the Internet or Modem socket), there was no real difficulty in a wireless device logging in at either end of the house and getting a working IP address to surf the web, etc.

Using Exede modem by itself didn't always give a workable IP address, so I had to dig into the conflicts within the two routers and turn one set of DHCP off - the one furthest away and downstream.

After that, they all worked well together. The limit on the Linksys router I am using is able to give only 50 addresses, so daisy-chaining and setting network addresses to additional routers would be necessary. But for a SOHO setup, this above description works fine.