how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jayray2k

join:2012-03-14
Gill, MA

[Wired] Advice on a wired router or modem/router

My house is hard wired with CAT-6. Every room terminates in the basement at the electrical panel, where my cable modem is mounted. My current network needs are:
one desktop in the dining room, running Vista. This is going to be my media server.
3 laptops running wirelessly, or hard wired if I plug in somewhere.
My son's room's Xbox 360.
The living room, with a Linksys E1000 wireless router hardwired, and the Sony SMP-N100 Network media player and another Xbox 360 connected to the E1000.

Current situation:
I have an Arris 602 CT modem (that I rent).
A Linksys SE2800 8-port Gigabit switch, with the Arris plugged into Jack 1.
The livingroom E1000/NMP/Xbox are plugged into Jack 2. (WORKING)
The desktop plugged into Jack 3 (NOT WORKING)
My son's Xbox plugged into Jack 4 (NOT WORKING)

From what I can gather, the modem is not a router, so the switch is not really the right piece of equipment. Why does Jack 2 work?

If that is the case, I need a simple router to put between the modem and the switch? or a modem with a router? (that Comcast approves)

Any suggestions? I am not locked in on any piece of equipment...the E1000 is old, and will be upgraded at some point. The SE2800 switch was just bought (mistake). The modem is rented and I want to buy one anyway.

The ultimate goal of this project is to get rid of my cable. I will be keeping my collection of blu-ray discs on the hard drive of my desktop. I want to stream them to my TV via the SMP-N100 player. I will replace my telephone with Magic Jack. I will also have Xbox live, Netflix, Amazon Prime, MLB Live and PlayOn. That ought to cover it...

Thanks in advance for the thoughts!

Jason

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

I think you should have the e1000 internet port connected to the arris modem and connect the se2800 to a e1000 lan port

jayray2k

Gill, MA

I've thought about that...If I do, how can I split my Xbox and Sony NMP from the same jack? Won't I need another switch there?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

What is the physical location of the
arris modem
se2800
e1000

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to jayray2k

Basically the arris will go into the e1000's wan port, lan port 1 should connect to the se2800 which has 8 ports. lan port 2 should connect to the sony smp-n100, lan port 3 should connect to the xbox 360, lan port 4 should connect to the desktop.

then from there everything else should branch off the se2800. that should leave you with 7 extra ports. the laptops can connect wirelessly to the e1000, and connect wired to the se2800 if neccessary.

without a doubt you defintely must connect the arris to the router's wan port. the router will give anything attached to it an IP address with its built in DHCP addressing.

you have a very nice network and it is important that we get it working properly.

jayray2k

Gill, MA

Mike,
Thanks for the response. There is only one catch. The SMP-N100 and the XBox are at the same location, with one CAT-6 jack available. Is there another way to split this line?

I just ordered a Netgear FVS318G, and I plan to attach that to the arris, remove the 8-port switch and return, and keep the e1000 at the site where the xbox and smp are and attach them to the e1000, and attach everything else to the netgear downstairs. What do you think?

I just ordered these last night...From what I understand the Netgear's performance is pretty poor...

Jason

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

If the SMP-N100 and the xbox are in the samem location, and you have no other use for the switch, then use the switch in that location, that way you will have room to expand. The FVS318G seems like an expensive switch and firewall and not a router, so attaching it to the modem really wouldn't geat you anywhere because it doesn't have a DHCP server. The most important thing is to make sure that the modem attaches to the router, and everything feeds off the router or the switch attached to the router. What kills me is that if I were more local I would do this all for you for free.

Modem --> Router --> everything else.

If you have Skype, we could discuss this in more detail and in real time if you want.