Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit

[Opera] Some Questions About Opera

I just installed Opera 11.61 on my Mac and I like it. I have 2 questions.

1) How do you delete all of your browsing history, cache, etc? I must just be missing it, and it's right in front of me. - EDIT: Found it! I just need the next question answered.

2) I want to import my Bookmarks into Opera. I only have Safari and Chrome installed. There is a choice to import from Safari, however, when I export Safari's Bookmarks they show up as a Chrome icon and will not import. Chrome is my default browser. Do I need to change Safari to my default browser first to import the bookmarks, or is there another way?

Thanks.
--
PR is back in town

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM

I changed Safari to be my default browser, and the Bookmark icon that I exported now has the Safari logo. However, it still is greyed out when I try to import it into Opera. Any ideas?
--
PR is back in town

bt06437

join:2001-12-03
Carrollton, TX

I don't have Safari or Chrome, however one method
I've used in the past is to export the bookmarks as either text or html from one browser, then import that file into Opera, usually selecting which ever selection (IE) will let the process go forward.
Once you point Opera to the file, it usually completes ok.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by bt06437:

I don't have Safari or Chrome, however one method
I've used in the past is to export the bookmarks as either text or html from one browser, then import that file into Opera, usually selecting which ever selection (IE) will let the process go forward.
Once you point Opera to the file, it usually completes ok.

I did.....I used Safari (which there is an "import from" option in Opera), and exported them to an html file. The file is there on my Desktop, as a Safari html file with Safari as my default browser. That file is still greyed out and will not import into Opera. As a note, I'm running Mac OSX 10.7.3.
--
PR is back in town

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

If it's exported as html, then you should import as html, not Safari. I no longer have a mac to play with, but it should not matter which browser is default.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

These are the choices for importing Bookmarks. There isn't one that just says "Import as html."

The Bookmark file that I'm trying to import was "exported" from Safari as html. For some reason, I cannot use the choice of "Import Safari Bookmarks," even though the file is sitting on my Desktop as html.
--
PR is back in town

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit
reply to sivran

Opera will not import html from Safari, according to this thread:

»my.opera.com/community/forums/to···=1001402

However, I'm looking for the path to the file mentioned in the 4th post in the thread as to how to do it. Lion is a little different where some files are.
--
PR is back in town

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

Hmm. If Firefox (or other Gecko browser) will import from Safari, then--

Import Safari to Firefox
Export Firefox to HTML
Import Firefox (HTML) to Opera.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by sivran:

Hmm. If Firefox (or other Gecko browser) will import from Safari, then--

Import Safari to Firefox
Export Firefox to HTML
Import Firefox (HTML) to Opera.

From what I see from all of the threads I've read, there is really no way to import Bookmarks directly from Safari. I don't have Firefox installed (crashes constantly on my Macs....yuck), so I would have to install it first. I guess that's the only way. Thanks.
--
PR is back in town