spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Learo

@qwest.net

[CenturyTel] Q1000 setup questions

Well got my service turns on and speeds and signals are great. Come to find out the dslam is right on the corner of my property. Anyways was looking through the menus and there are a lot of options under advanced and broadband. I was wondering if these setting can improve performance and what the settings should be. I searched high and low and could not find a manual or a right up on settings. Any help would be great. Also I have the modem going to my router and turned off nat and dhcp and let the modem handle dhcp. Is there any downside to having the modem handle Dhcp instead of my router? Thanks in advance.

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO

1 edit

Since the Q1000 does everything why have a router behind it ?

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
reply to Learo

There aren't any settings that will improve performance, just security. When it's reset all the default settings are fine but you want to disable WPS, since it's already been hacked, and make sure you are using WPA2 for wireless security. The wi-fi part isn't the greatest though and not all my devices, like my internet radio, will connect so I use a Linksys router running DD-WRT for the wi-fi instead.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Learo

If you set the Modem in "transparent bridge" mode, and use your Router for DHCP, you may be able to tweak the Router's MTU setting for a wired connection, and if wireless, hopefully your Router has settings such as to change the 2.4Ghz channel for a better signal.
--
PR is back in town

Learo

@qwest.net

I am using my own router for wireless and some Ethernet connections and have another switch with more Ethernet connections and a wired AP extending my wireless signal. Right now I turned off nat and DHCP on my router and let the modem do NAT and DHCP and everything seems to be working fine except I can't see my nas. I was wondering if my latency would be better if I set the modem up for transparent mode and let the router handle dhcp. My ping from the router page are is 27ms and from my wireless in the same room is around 70ms. Is the ping test from the modem setup page accurate? Is there something I can look into to get better latency over my setup?

Here are my current WAN Readings. How do these numbers look?
Thanks in advance.

DSL Link Status
Broadband Mode Setting: MULTIMODE
Broadband Mode Detected: VDSL2 - 12A
DSL Link Uptime: 0 Days, 7H:29M:22S
Retrains: 0
Retrains in Last 24 Hours: 0
Loss of Power Link Failures: 0
Loss of Signal Link Failure: 0
Loss of Margin Link Failure: 0
Link Train Errors: 0
Unavailable Seconds: 0
Estimated Loop Length: N/A
Un-Canceled Echo: N/A

Transport Status
VPI: N/A
VCI: N/A
ATM QoS class: N/A
PTM VLAN QoS: 0
MTU Size: 1500
VLAN: PTM 201
Packets Sent: 0
Packets Received: 0
Error Packets Sent: 0
Error Packets Received: 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream: 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream: 0

Channel Status
Channel Type: Interleaved
Near End CRC Errors: 0
Far End CRC: 0
30 Minute Near End CRC: 0
30 Minute Far End CRC: 0
Near End RS FEC: 0
Far End RS FEC: 0
30 Minute Near End FEC: 0
30 Minutes Far End FEC: 0

Levels Downstream Upstream
SNR: 26 dB 30 dB
Attenuation: 8 dB 2 dB
Power: 14.1 dBm 11.8 dBm

Modem Memory
Memory
Status
Total Memory:
58MB RAM
Memory Used:
75%
Memory Status:
OK
Recommended Action:
NONE
Modem Sessions
Session
Status
Maximum Number of Sessions:
LAN TCP Sessions:
LAN UDP Sessions:
Modem Sessions:
Total Open Sessions:
Session Status:
OK
Recommended Action:
NONE

Learo

@qwest.net
reply to lordpuffer

PS how do I figure out my password for my router? Thanks again. Pss I am seeing high 20m down and high 20s up. I signed up for the 40/20 connection. I am impressed with my upload speed but would like to get my download speeds closer to the advertised 40 down.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

Sorry, I cannot really read those numbers that you posted. There are others here who can.

The password for your Router depends upon whether you set one up, and the brand/model of Router. It sounds like you did not set one up, so you should just Google the question of how to sign in with your brand/model Router, and you should have the answer.

Your upload speed sounds great. Because of that, I'm betting that you have a setting that is not correct to have a slow download speed. However, try the "bridge mode" and see if that brings the download speed higher.
--
PR is back in town

Dave651

@qwest.net
reply to Learo

I own this Q1000 not leasing it. What really irritates me, on a whim, CL can update the firmware remotely and you have no freek'n idea what is changed no ability to prevent a auto update, no documentation or how the damn changes effect other internal network infrastructure within your network.

When I originally purchased the Q1000 wireless router there was no damn documentation or user manual / guide so you figured it out by yourself.

Other manufactures like Netgear, Linksys, Cisco, and D-Link include documentation by pdf or print with their router products so you can configure and customize your equipment or network. If these manufactures can budget at least a pdf file why can't Century Link or their licensed OEM's or contractors do the same? So what is the problem?

This is totally ridiculous in this day and age. Talk about kicking the customer in the chops. Document what you make, I'm paying for it and the old rhetoric goes, "The customer is always right!".

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit

Here's the manual. It's been there every since I can remember (of course, it used to be minus the word "centurylink"):

»qwest.centurylink.com/internethe···000.html
--
PR is back in town

Learo

@qwest.net

I was trying to figure out the Ppp password. I didn't set up that part of the modem. I'll call customer service.

TheMayor

join:2002-05-09
reply to Ken1943

To add a router that can track WAN bandwidth activity (so you have a rough guess of how much has been used, since there is a cap now)

said by Ken1943:

Since the Q1000 does everything why have a router behind it ?