All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
NullQwerty9
join:2008-12-18
united state

NullQwerty9

Anyone Ever Used Fast 2K To Install A Fence Post?

Hey folks,

Has anyone here ever used Fast 2K to install a fence post? It's this product here:
»www.chemque.com/pages.ph ··· =Fast_2K

They say a 3lb bag is equal to 100lb bag of concrete. Naturally I'm skeptical, but if the claims are true I'm quite interested. Anyone here use it? If so does it work? Or does it fail?

Thanks

Ken
MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

Ken

MVM

said by NullQwerty9:

They say a 3lb bag is equal to 100lb bag of concrete.

3lb bag = $18.69, 100lbs of concrete = $6.00. I'm going with the concrete.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Ken:

said by NullQwerty9:

They say a 3lb bag is equal to 100lb bag of concrete.

3lb bag = $18.69, 100lbs of concrete = $6.00. I'm going with the concrete.

Good Grief $19.00 per post? I'll stay with concrete too.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to NullQwerty9

MVM

to NullQwerty9
If it sounds too good to be true.....

Their biggest claim is that it cures faster than concrete. Of course, are catalyst materials to make concrete cure faster, if that is the goal.
NullQwerty9
united state

NullQwerty9

Yeah, it's definitely be more expensive. But it'll also save me from having to haul around all of those 80 lb bags of concrete, not to mention the time and effort to mix it all and the cost and hassle of renting a mixer.

They claim it's used for utility poles. If true, it seems like their claims could me true.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939 to NullQwerty9

Premium Member

to NullQwerty9
Reminds me of "Quickrete" or hydraulic cement. The cost per bag is too high for it to be practical in a large application (ie your whole yard), but it works decently for small installs or patchwork.

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to NullQwerty9

Premium Member

to NullQwerty9
They have/had something at HD called Instant post cement or something like that. I think it was a quickcrete product. It set in like 20 minutes. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly. I used it to do a bunch of posts at our old house. Worked great and I think it was about $7 or $8 bucks a bag. You need one bag per post though.

Also, you didn't mix it. Pour the bag into the hole around the post, dump in a bucket of water (2 Gal I think) and that's it.
NullQwerty9
united state

NullQwerty9

The fast setting aspect isn't that big a deal. It's more the weight and convenience and not dealing with mixing, etc. Also, if I need to reset a post in the future, or even take out the fence, it seems like it would be a heck of a lot easier. But, I don't want to end up with a crooked fence (from wind) either because I used this product.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

How many posts do you need to put in? At 20 bucks a bag you might be able to get a pumper truck out there for the same or less.
Not sure what those cost though

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

They charge by yard (the trucks) and carry about 10 yards worth of concrete (270 sq. feet), and generally charges ~$60/yard.
NullQwerty9
united state

NullQwerty9 to Jon5

to Jon5
About 30. Problem with the truck is that I don't think I could get them to hang around while I install the fence, which could take a few days at least.

I can get this product for $15, no tax
80 lb bag of concrete is about $4 with tax

Total for this product is $450
Total for concrete with mixer rental for a few days is about $250.

So for an extra $200 I can save my back, my energy, my time, and I get the added bonus of being able to easily remove/adjust the post in the future. That's a no-brainer to me. Well worth it.

But the question is, does is work?

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to NullQwerty9

Premium Member

to NullQwerty9
Why don't you hire a neighbor kid and do it the old fashion way? Give the kid the difference.

I'm sure some young guy will move the bags for $30/hour.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by mityfowl:

Why don't you hire a neighbor kid and do it the old fashion way? Give the kid the difference.

I'm sure some young guy will move the bags for $30/hour.

+1 Any of the local high school-ers would love that kind of pay. Heck, they would probably be willing to install the fence for you.
NullQwerty9
united state

NullQwerty9 to mityfowl

to mityfowl
If I knew of one I would. I've looked.

It's not that I can't do it. I'm 32 and in good shape. I've just done so much of it the last 2 years (built a deck with 8 4' deep 12" wide footings and a 800 sq foot paver patio where I moved all the base material by hand, not to mention raising my yard by 3' 1/2 of it by shovel and barrow). So I can do it, at this point though...I just really prefer to avoid it if I can.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to NullQwerty9

Premium Member

to NullQwerty9
said by NullQwerty9:

About 30. Problem with the truck is that I don't think I could get them to hang around while I install the fence, which could take a few days at least.

I can get this product for $15, no tax
80 lb bag of concrete is about $4 with tax

Total for this product is $450
Total for concrete with mixer rental for a few days is about $250.

So for an extra $200 I can save my back, my energy, my time, and I get the added bonus of being able to easily remove/adjust the post in the future. That's a no-brainer to me. Well worth it.

But the question is, does is work?

There is no such thing with a properly installed fence post as "easily adjusted and remove in the future".

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

They charge by yard (the trucks) and carry about 10 yards worth of concrete (270 sq. feet), and generally charges ~$60/yard.

That doesn't seem like a bad price. Do they manage the pumping too or do they make you do it?

Just get all the post holes dug and the posts up and braced and have them come in and fill the holes. I don't know anything about Fast 2K though.

sk1939
Premium Member
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Jon5:

said by sk1939:

That doesn't seem like a bad price. Do they manage the pumping too or do they make you do it?

Just get all the post holes dug and the posts up and braced and have them come in and fill the holes. I don't know anything about Fast 2K though.

My experience is they'll pull up to your house/property, and you haul it from there (wheelbarrow) to wherever you want it.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to NullQwerty9

Premium Member

to NullQwerty9
So Null you got 30 posts 36" deep when I used to live in the hinterland to get below the frost line. Treated or steel?

I grew up in Chicago area.

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium Member
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere

Bink63

Premium Member

said by mityfowl:

So Null you got 30 posts 36" deep when I used to live in the hinterland to get below the frost line. Treated or steel?

An aside...

This "Winter", Chicagoland's Frost Line is somewhere in Canada!

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to sk1939

Premium Member

to sk1939
said by sk1939:

My experience is they'll pull up to your house/property, and you haul it from there (wheelbarrow) to wherever you want it.

I was talking about a pumper though. The ones with the big hose.
NullQwerty9
united state

NullQwerty9 to mityfowl

to mityfowl
said by mityfowl:

Yeah. I've got all the holes dug and ready to go. It's vinyl. Not too big a fan of vinyl but I must have gotten 30 samples before I finally found a company that had a product that was really strong and not at all shiny. They line much of it with metal too to make it extra strong and prevent sagging. It was USAVinyl if anyone is interested.
NullQwerty9

NullQwerty9 to Jon5

to Jon5
said by Jon5:

I got the holes dug but you can't put the posts up all at once. The rails feed into the posts so it wouldn't be possible if both posts were all set. Plus, if your measurement was off by even a 1/2", you'd be left with a gap. Thanks anyway though.

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to NullQwerty9

Premium Member

to NullQwerty9
Cost to much, So for that reason, I'm out!
The hardest part of the job is boring the holes!

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
said by Jon5:

said by sk1939:

I was talking about a pumper though. The ones with the big hose.

The price you gave earlier was only for the cement truck with the concrete (and that was on the low side) a pump truck would be an additional charge of at least that much.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to NullQwerty9

Premium Member

to NullQwerty9
Here in Dallas they have a "yard to go" cement place.

You probably can't install more than 2 yards in a day with the type of fencing you're talking about even with help. And brother you need some help to knock this out. Get those kids some MONEY.

Check it out.
NullQwerty9
united state

NullQwerty9

I'll head over to a fence forum and see if I can find any installers that might have used it. I know I have alternatives, and I know the alternatives might be cheaper, but I'm interested in finding out about this product specifically.

Thanks for everyone's help!

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl

Premium Member

Hey, let us know what happens and what you do.

Good luck.

goofy01
join:2004-02-05
Hammond, IN

goofy01 to NullQwerty9

to NullQwerty9
I had a similar fence put up last year. All the post were up for a month before they came back to do the fence. If it is a little off, they just trimmed a piece to fit, either way. It is all tounge and groove. There was a cover at the ends of each section. Just do all the post and then do the fencing later.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc to mityfowl

Premium Member

to mityfowl

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· rrkdsOyU

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to NullQwerty9

Premium Member

to NullQwerty9
Looks like 2 bags a hole. That's 200lbs of cement.