uniqs

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to DataDoc

Premium Member

to DataDoc

Re: Anyone Ever Used Fast 2K To Install A Fence Post?

That was pretty shallow. We have to go down 48" here.

mix
join:2002-03-19
Romeo, MI
GL.iNet GL-B1300
Netgear CM500

mix

Yeah here too. Something tells me this guy hasn't had an inspector out to his home to OK the fence. Get ready for a nightmare if you are installing fence and a neighbor calls the city on you. They will make you rip it down and do it right if the footings are wrong or you don't have a modern 2000's era land survey showing your property lines.
DanB7
join:2002-10-05
Marietta, GA

DanB7 to NullQwerty9

to NullQwerty9
Not sure how long a run, but isnt the general rule that only corners and gate posts need to be installed with concrete?
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

The examples of that Fast 2K video show 2 bags being used per post. So it can get expensive.

However, I can see why utilities might go for that it it means that they don't need to bring in a cement mixer etc, (which would likely require different employees to handle the concrete). So the higher cost of the product may be offset by lower employee costs.

Also, you do less damage to the grass since you don't need to being in a cement mixer.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to DataDoc

Premium Member

to DataDoc
said by DataDoc:

(youtube clip)

Those aren't fence posts here.

But I used a back hoe and it yanked them out.
mityfowl

mityfowl to DanB7

Premium Member

to DanB7
said by DanB7:

Not sure how long a run, but isnt the general rule that only corners and gate posts need to be installed with concrete?

Where did you here that?

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to NullQwerty9

Premium Member

to NullQwerty9
High density expanding foam.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to DanB7

MVM

to DanB7
said by DanB7:

Sure, if it doesn't bother you to have something that ends up looking like this.

fluffy
@teksavvy.com

fluffy to mityfowl

Anon

to mityfowl
you can easily do 6 fence posts a day with no help.
i just mixed the bags in an old wheelbarrow. just mix it by hand with a shovel.
concrete is easy to mix. you need a dust mask and some manual labor.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to NullQwerty9

Premium Member

to NullQwerty9
Why so complicated fence?

I live on clay so everything is constantly moving.

In my case down hill.

jkj860
The Final Frontier
join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

jkj860 to NullQwerty9

to NullQwerty9
Rent a mixer and buy some fast set concrete in a bag. Its usually about $4/5 a bag as opposed to the cheap stuff. It will set up in about an hour but it still takes around 30 days to cure fully. Make sure you go to or below your local frostline or else it will sag eventually.
neonturbo
join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI

neonturbo to NullQwerty9

to NullQwerty9
When I built my tall wood fence for my hot tub 7 years ago, I dug the holes to the correct depth, put the post in place, and dumped a 40lb bag of dry Quickcrete in each hole. I watered it good, then backfilled with the clay soil I have around here. The fence is perfectly level, and doesn't move one bit even in very windy days.

That is the way it was recommended I do it, and digging the hole was the hardest part about the whole thing. I did 10 more of them this way 2 years ago, and another 10 last year. I have 20 more to go to finish the whole yard. I don't see the need to mix the concrete before setting the post, unless there is an unusual condition.

iknow
@optonline.net

iknow to NullQwerty9

Anon

to NullQwerty9
said by NullQwerty9:

I'll head over to a fence forum and see if I can find any installers that might have used it. I know I have alternatives, and I know the alternatives might be cheaper, but I'm interested in finding out about this product specifically.

Thanks for everyone's help!

it'll be interesting to see how 6lbs. of that in dirt could possibly hold a pole in place in a strong wind.
NullQwerty9
join:2008-12-18
united state

NullQwerty9 to mix

to mix
said by mix:

Something tells me this guy hasn't had an inspector out to his home to OK the fence. Get ready for a nightmare if you are installing fence and a neighbor calls the city on you. They will make you rip it down and do it right if the footings are wrong or you don't have a modern 2000's era land survey showing your property lines.

Well that something that told you that was wrong. Not only do I have a permit with inspection and all the regulations fully given and gone over, but I also had a survey done.

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug to NullQwerty9

Anon

to NullQwerty9
Why not use a fence post spike?

To me that is the easiest way to go.

See:
»www.homedepot.ca/product ··· e/971856

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to NullQwerty9

MVM

to NullQwerty9
I have ACTUALLY used this (or a similar) product from the same manufacturer (Chemque). It does work. It sets fast. Once cured, it's the same as concrete.
I wasn't aware of the cost (I wasn't footing the bill, the company I worked for was). But it seems reasonable considering the amount of labor and time you'll save.
This just looks like a smaller version of what the utilities and mudjackers use.

Just an FYI, concrete isn't necessary for fence posts installed to the proper depth. Packing the dirt in with a breaker bar will do the same thing. It just takes longer and is a PITA. Concrete and products like this streamline the process. All you are trying to do is solidly fill the void between the undisturbed soil and the post.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

said by nunya:

Just an FYI, concrete isn't necessary for fence posts installed to the proper depth. Packing the dirt in with a breaker bar will do the same thing. It just takes longer and is a PITA. Concrete and products like this streamline the process. All you are trying to do is solidly fill the void between the undisturbed soil and the post.

4 men with sledgehammers will also work.

mityfowl
Premium Member
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

I have ACTUALLY used this (or a similar) product from the same manufacturer (Chemque). It does work. It sets fast. Once cured, it's the same as concrete.
I wasn't aware of the cost (I wasn't footing the bill, the company I worked for was). But it seems reasonable considering the amount of labor and time you'll save.
This just looks like a smaller version of what the utilities and mudjackers use.

And you don't need concrete for a houses foundation either.

Just packed dirt. It's just as strong. It's only the labor.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack_in_VA to NullQwerty9

Premium Member

to NullQwerty9
Thank goodness we don't need a permit or inspection to install a fence here. Of course those who don't know where their property line is would need a survey but most of us know from the previous surveys marked with the iron stakes. There aren't that many fences around here though.
NullQwerty9
united state

NullQwerty9 to nunya

to nunya
said by nunya:

Awesome! Thanks for responding! I'm thinking I should order a few bags and just give it a shot. Worst case, I got dig up those holes. But the benefit of this over concrete is, once you dig up the holes, you should be able to easily get the post out rather than dealing with a 100lb boulder that's now in the way.
NullQwerty9

NullQwerty9 to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Thank goodness we don't need a permit or inspection to install a fence here. Of course those who don't know where their property line is would need a survey but most of us know from the previous surveys marked with the iron stakes. There aren't that many fences around here though.

For us, you only need a permit if it's around a pool (which it is for me) or if there are some sections that are 8' tall and greater (also the case for me...in a few sections)
NullQwerty9

NullQwerty9 to Shrug

to Shrug
said by Shrug :

See:

I've read a lot of mixed stuff about them actually. I looked into them first. The fence company I'm buying the material from also discouraged them and said they didn't have good luck with them when they tried it out.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to neonturbo

MVM

to neonturbo
said by neonturbo:

When I built my tall wood fence for my hot tub 7 years ago, I dug the holes to the correct depth, put the post in place, and dumped a 40lb bag of dry Quickcrete in each hole. I watered it good, then backfilled with the clay soil I have around here. The fence is perfectly level, and doesn't move one bit even in very windy days.
I don't see the need to mix the concrete before setting the post, unless there is an unusual condition.

+1 I've installed multiple fences and never have mixed the concrete before dumping it into the hole. And to my knowledge, all those fences are still standing just as they were when they where installed.

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug to NullQwerty9

Anon

to NullQwerty9
said by NullQwerty9:

said by Shrug :

See:

I've read a lot of mixed stuff about them actually. I looked into them first. The fence company I'm buying the material from also discouraged them and said they didn't have good luck with them when they tried it out.

Works just fine here where the front line is 4'. Though I do have one that twisted slightly over the years. But no big deal.
NullQwerty9
united state

1 recommendation

NullQwerty9

Welp, I ordered 15 bags. Figured I'll give it a shot and see what I think. If I do one and hate it, I'll return it. I'll report back and let you know how they were.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to NullQwerty9

Premium Member

to NullQwerty9
I wonder, if you get a lot of rain, and the ground gets waterlogged, would those Fast 2K posts try and "float up" out of the ground?

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

I think it would take a hell of a lot of water and hydrostatic pressure to make fence poles with fence attached float up out of the ground. Hell, the concrete foundation of your home doesn't float up out of the ground from water pressure.

jkj860
The Final Frontier
join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

jkj860 to KrK

to KrK
Set them below the frostline and they will be fine. Otherwise they will eventually work loose and sag. It happens all the time when people try to get by not doing it right.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins to NullQwerty9

Premium Member

to NullQwerty9
Why is everyone renting mixers for fence posts?

Install the post, pour some water in the bottom of the whole, pour in the dry concrete mix, add water on top and use a 4' to 6' long piece of rebar to punch holes in the mix allowing the water penetrate. Keep the post plumb as you're working the mix, finish it with a digging bar.

This will work in most soil conditions. If the soil is very loose like sand then I recommend thoroughly mixing the concrete in the hole before inserting post.

Either way, there is no mixer needed, just a little hard work.
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned) to whizkid3

to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:

Sure, if it doesn't bother you to have something that ends up looking like this.

Ahh just a little wind damage, down here we see it all the time...

Wayne