share rss forum feed

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
reply to 49528867

Re: Anyone Ever Used Fast 2K To Install A Fence Post?

Look how well the bases held, and they didn't even use concrete to set those!
--
...because I care.

iknow

@optonline.net
said by nunya:

Look how well the bases held, and they didn't even use concrete to set those!

yeah, looks good. »/speak/s···YXJ0PTIw

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Shrug
I do a "hybrid" system - every 5th (give or take) post, plus corners and gates, get cement (quickcrete post-mix - 2 bags to a hole) - everything else is spiked. Seems to work well, and keeps the labour down...

NullQwerty9

join:2008-12-18
united state
kudos:1
reply to NullQwerty9
Alright...so the bags came and I did the first fence post yesterday. Definitely 1000x easier than dealing with concrete. I would most relate it to the foam you use for filling holes in your house. A few hours after I installed, I went and touched it. I was kind of expecting solid rock. But with just a little pressure, my finger poaked right through it. It's possible that it needs a longer cure time though. Or it's possible that that's fine and expected.

The fence post itself seems very solid. Although I have to admit that I'm hesitant to push too hard on it so it hasn't really been through a good test yet. I'm confident enough in it that I'm going to continue using it though.

I ended up using 2.5 bags for this hole. For this size hole, they recommend 1.5 bags but want you to get 3-5" from the top. My hole was probably just a little bigger than it should have been, hence the extra bag, so I can't fault them for that. Even if every hole took 3 bags, I think I'd still recommend the product, just because it will triple the speed and ease the effort of getting the fence done. With other projects piling up, that's huge for me.

I'll do a bunch more next weekend and post back one more time.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NullQwerty9
OK, I did a little research on this stuff. It's highly toxic and harmful to the environment. It is incompatible with many substances found naturally in soils. So my guess is it will deteriorate and fail as a fence post back fill.

Environmental Precautions: Do not empty into drains or discharge into the soil/subsoil.

»www.chemque.com/downloads/253-11···nate.pdf

Let us not destroy the environment for the sake of convenience.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Uh, that's "Part B". When you mix it with "Part A" it becomes a different compound.
--
...because I care.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by nunya:

Uh, that's "Part B". When you mix it with "Part A" it becomes a different compound.

So what's your point?

Here's part A,

»www.chemque.com/downloads/253-11···lyol.pdf

Toxic petroleum distillates that are known carcinogens.
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to dolphins
said by dolphins:

Why is everyone renting mixers for fence posts?

Install the post, pour some water in the bottom of the whole, pour in the dry concrete mix, add water on top and use a 4' to 6' long piece of rebar to punch holes in the mix allowing the water penetrate. Keep the post plumb as you're working the mix, finish it with a digging bar.

This will work in most soil conditions. If the soil is very loose like sand then I recommend thoroughly mixing the concrete in the hole before inserting post.

Either way, there is no mixer needed, just a little hard work.

Problem located.

iknow

@optonline.net
reply to NullQwerty9
said by NullQwerty9:

Alright...so the bags came and I did the first fence post yesterday. Definitely 1000x easier than dealing with concrete. I would most relate it to the foam you use for filling holes in your house. A few hours after I installed, I went and touched it. I was kind of expecting solid rock. But with just a little pressure, my finger poaked right through it. It's possible that it needs a longer cure time though. Or it's possible that that's fine and expected.

The fence post itself seems very solid. Although I have to admit that I'm hesitant to push too hard on it so it hasn't really been through a good test yet. I'm confident enough in it that I'm going to continue using it though.

I ended up using 2.5 bags for this hole. For this size hole, they recommend 1.5 bags but want you to get 3-5" from the top. My hole was probably just a little bigger than it should have been, hence the extra bag, so I can't fault them for that. Even if every hole took 3 bags, I think I'd still recommend the product, just because it will triple the speed and ease the effort of getting the fence done. With other projects piling up, that's huge for me.

I'll do a bunch more next weekend and post back one more time.

as a funded science experiment, ok, but at 3lb bag = $18.69 x2.5 per post, most people would rather save a lot of money, and pay someone to do the whole job at a fraction of the cost of what you payed, but of course they wouldn't have all they scientific data that was collected from this experiment, but most people wouldn't care. i still say 7.5lbs of cement per pole would make it too easy to pull out!.

NullQwerty9

join:2008-12-18
united state

1 recommendation

Welp:
a) I don't care what most people would do or care
b) I see way too many fences around here that are all screwed up and have a professional installer tag on it. Time is money and I think many installers cut corners. Most are probably honest and good, but the few bad ones soured the bunch for me.
c) Despite that I got 3 estimates for getting it professionally installed. Average labor price was $6K. This will cost me 1/6 of that
d) Getting it professionally installed means that I can't choose the product. After getting many samples, I found a product that I found to be far superior than what I would have gotten from a pro installer.
e) It is not the weight that keeps the fence from getting pulled out. In fact Cement doesn't even adhere to vinyl