spc
uniqs

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to Rayson

to Rayson

Re: [Express] Is Rogers throttling Youtube videos?

way too many people use 8.8.8.8 DNS server from google so you will likely get way worse browsing performance overall since CDNs use your DNS geolocation to determine where you're located.
Rayson
join:2004-01-01
Canada

Rayson

said by jmck:

way too many people use 8.8.8.8 DNS server from google so you will likely get way worse browsing performance overall since CDNs use your DNS geolocation to determine where you're located.

Shouldn't be a big issue - I don't think most sites I deal with sit on CDNs. We usually connect to some frontend web servers that redirect the traffic to the CDNs. But then it is just me - I just need a stable connection so that I can check email and upload code to the web (and cloud computing for everything...)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to jmck

Premium Member

to jmck
said by jmck:

I use Level 3 for my primary (4.2.2.x) and if I'm using IE and see "Canadian" ads (since there is no adblocking software) so I don't think they are using DNS, but rather your IP.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

the big CDNs use your DNS's location to determine where you are so they can feed you the proper IPs the nearest server. showing ads on a page is quite different than CDN geolocation.

yyzlhr
@rogers.com

yyzlhr

Anon

Just spoke to their online chat technical support for fun as I knew it would go no where. I let the guy take control of my computer and he tested several youtube video, many of which completely stopped buffering after a few seconds and I even showed him the activity log in my browser that clearly shows that the video originates from some sort of server that is run by Rogers. He was completely stumped and just kept reiterating that Rogers does not cache youtube videos. Sigh...
aereolis
join:2003-06-12
Brampton, ON

aereolis

said by yyzlhr :

Just spoke to their online chat technical support for fun as I knew it would go no where. I let the guy take control of my computer and he tested several youtube video, many of which completely stopped buffering after a few seconds and I even showed him the activity log in my browser that clearly shows that the video originates from some sort of server that is run by Rogers. He was completely stumped and just kept reiterating that Rogers does not cache youtube videos. Sigh...

This was all covered in a post on the teksavvy forum a few weeks ago. Without looking at much of anything, it's probably because you aern't using your internet providers dns, thus youtube videos don't go to the google cache at rogers. I believe even 4.4.4.4 & 8.8.8.8 may not work properly. Try changing your dns settings to use the ip address for your router, and release/renew your ip address to get the new dns. I had the problem and I was using a google ip if i remember correctly....