share rss forum feed

Pjr
Don't Panic

join:2005-12-11
UK
reply to CylonRed

Re: [Auto] 2012 F1 season begins....

said by CylonRed:

Agreed - what the hell is going on with Button and now Lewis????

When Button's struggling there's a slight problem with the car. When Hamilton's struggling the car has a major problem.

The development of the McLaren must have gone in the wrong direction; it was a good car at the start of the season.
--
Overflow error in /dev/null

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

For Button they keep saying that the front tires can't get heat in them. He is easy on the tires in general but Lewis seems to have been able to get heat in them. Lewis did well in practice - ok in qual (everyone was guessing on setup) - maybe both of them opted for higher down force expecting rain?

Or they are at opposite ends of the spectrum- Button is too easy and Lewis is too hard - especially trying to opt for a 2 stopper?
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
reply to Pjr

said by Pjr:

Which suggests she hit the throttle.

I agree, I've seen and heard of F1 cars losing brakes, never ever, unintentional accelerating.

Pjr
Don't Panic

UK

2 edits
reply to CylonRed

Button couldn't heat the tires up last year either but Hamilton can this year as well as last. Their driving styles are completely different and development seems to have moved more in Hamilton's favour than Button's but because they are both having trouble suggests that it is a problem with the car rather than the drivers.

»www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18763403

Both Button and Hamilton say the car needs to improve dramatically if they are going to contend for either championship. I don't know if the video will play outside of the UK and I can't find it on youtube.

Interviewer: Where do you think McLaren are in comparison with Red Bull?
LH: A long way away.
I: A long way behind?
LH: Yeah. We'll keep working at it.

JB: Our car doesn't feel too bad but everyone else's must feel really good because they are a lot faster than us ... racing the Williams and Saubers out there you see areas where they are able to put the car and get away with it... and make mistakes... I don't understand how they are able to get away with that.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Warzau

There have been several instances in a race of a brake exploding. Can't imagine that in straight line tests it would explode but.. Gotta wonder if this is just CYA for the team. No one is likely to absolutely know though as she probably won't have any memory of it.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Pjr
Don't Panic

UK

If she did accelerate, which I find hard to believe, it ought to have been recorded. If they weren't getting any data from the car what was the point in the test?
--

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK
reply to CylonRed

McLaren set pit stop world record

McLaren may have missed out on victory in the German Grand Prix on Sunday, but the team was still left with something to celebrate after the race: a world record pit stop.

Jenson Button's pit crew changed his tyres and got him going again in an amazing 2.3 seconds, some 0.3 seconds quicker than the previous best recorded.

»uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/mcla···670.html

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

They (McLaren) are talking about doing a pit stop in 2 seconds by the end of the year. They go from being pit stop chumps for the last 2 years to being better than the last 3-4 years when they were one of the very best.
--
Brian

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL

I still wish they brought back refueling pit stops

Pjr
Don't Panic

UK
reply to CylonRed

Marussia driver Maria de Villota leaves Spain hospital.

Maria de Villota has been released from hospital after it was established she had suffered no neurological damage from her testing crash.

Some good news
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Indeed - I am not going to be seeing qual till Sunday and I am not sure I am going to be watching the race Sunday - maybe doing that on Monday....
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to CylonRed

Spa, Spa, Spa.....

Was going to be an interesting qual since they did not have dry running in practice. What a mess on Friday to say the least.

Final practice - some teams did not worry about qual and worked on race and tire degradation - maybe the cause of the unlikely grid????

Kobi, Maldonado, in send and third??? Perez on 5th? Rosberg out in Q1? Schui, Massa, and Vettel out in Q2???? Webber starts back in 12th due to transmission change.

Wonder if Hamilton worked more on race than qual - he was fast early but Button got his car together after complaining in Q1 about understeer.
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

What a cluster.... Grojean get s ban for next week due to the abject stupidity of his move. Probably a little strong penalty - he has had good races and a lot of bad luck early in the season.

But - I can't believe the ENTIRE field taking a nap on the start - no one moved and Maldonado stated his hand slipped off the hand clutch.

Other than that - fantastic races from Button, Vettel, Hulkenburg, even Scheui who lost 6th gear late on the race. Even Massa seemed to finally get it together in the latter half of the race.

Nice to see Button finally get his car together - hopefully last longer than one race...
--
Brian

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
join:2000-02-11
Hamilton, OH

It sure looked like Maldonado jumped the start, but when Speed went back and showed the lights going out and them him starting, it looked OK. I'll trust that the FIA's electronics were correct in saying he jumped.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Pjr
Don't Panic

UK
reply to CylonRed

It was a stupid move and Grosjean deserved all he got. This is his seventh first lap crash in twelve races which suggests that he does need to take less risks. He and Maldonado don't seem to appreciate just how dangerous this sport is; one takes silly risks and the other uses his car as a weapon when he gets angry.

That crash could have been much more serious. Alonso hurt his back and the doctor was assessing his injury when the Ferrari caught fire. Alonso later claimed he had to be quickly pulled from the car because he couldn't breathe due to the fire extinguisher being sprayed everywhere.

The Tifosi are a little biased; after the race an Italian journalist said the crash was Hamilton's fault
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Not nearly all of those 7 for Grojean were his fault - many of them he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
--
Brian

Pjr
Don't Panic

UK

3 edits

Perhaps. Last year Hamilton caused crashes as well as finding himself in the wrong place at the wrong time but he has managed to return to form. Keeping away from situations that may turn ugly is a skill he needs to learn; I'll admit it's not very easy to do in motor racing, though.

As a side note ex-F1 and Indycar driver, Alex Zanardi, has won gold at the London Paralympics »www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/disability···19493510 Appropriately enough the venue for the handbike event was Brands Hatch. His achievements after his accident are inspiring.
--

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL

Incredible He is truly awe inspiring. I always liked him when he was in F1 too bad Williams was a pig of a car when he drove for them. But he did well in CART.

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH

1 recommendation

Interesting race at Monza, except for Hamilton, who pretty much cruised to the win. Perez was a man on a mission at the end. Alonso did a great job to get on the podium after starting 10th, though he was helped by Vettel's DNF.
--
Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Warzau
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to CylonRed

Wondering how long til Perez wins his first race?

Pjr
Don't Panic

UK

That guy is good. I wonder how long it will be before he takes the championship.
--

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK
reply to CylonRed

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0aM8rgOz40

As Formula 1 drivers get ready for this weekend's Singapore Grand Prix, they will be mentally preparing their post-race press conference comments. Typically in these, stars like Lewis Hamilton, Jensen Button and Fernando Alonso thank the large number of people working behind the scenes.

Computer experts now play a vital role in these teams.

BBC News has been given access to the Marussia team base in Banbury, near the Silverstone race track. The Russian-owned Formula 1 team is one of the youngest on the Grand Prix circuit and wants to start challenging larger rivals like McLaren, Red Bull and Ferrari.

To this end, it has hired veteran engineer Pat Symonds - formerly of Renault F1 - as a technical consultant, and has invested heavily in Information Technology (IT) through sponsor CSC.

Here Pat Symonds explains why aerodynamics research is vital to all F1 teams - and shows the BBC Marussia's "computer brain", one of the UK's most powerful supercomputers which the company hopes will help power it up the grid in time for Russia's inaugural Grand Prix in Sochi, 2014.

»www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19623281

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Pjr

He needs to move to a team that can provide him with a consistently fast car.

Pjr
Don't Panic

UK

3 edits

Sergio Perez joins McLaren from Sauber. Are they consistent enough? I'm certain he will be world champ sooner or later.

And Hamilton moves to Mercedes while Schuey can't make his mind up.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

So much for Hamilton wining a championship for the next 3 years.... So far - Mercedes has yet to show they can be a front runner. Thought Lewis was smarter than that - of course - he might be a lot smarter if his dad was still his manager.
--
Brian

bjf123
We Want... A Shrubbery
Premium
Hamilton, OH

said by CylonRed:

So much for Hamilton wining a championship for the next 3 years.... So far - Mercedes has yet to show they can be a front runner. Thought Lewis was smarter than that - of course - he might be a lot smarter if his dad was still his manager.

Yep. It won't surprise me to see Sergio win more races next year than Lewis.
--

Pjr
Don't Panic

UK

2 edits
reply to CylonRed

I agree with both of you; he has made a bad decision. McLaren have their highs and lows but the lows never last very long. If he is going to contend for a championship in the future I think McLaren would have been his best bet.

I believe Hamilton is still with the management company he joined after sacking his Dad but they have hired Mika Hakkinen's ex manager to look after him.

Edit:
»blogs.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tomc···l-along/

Didier Coton is his manager now.

--

roguesmith

join:2012-09-19
New York, NY
reply to CylonRed

lewis hamilton is going to win again. book my words

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

First Mercedes has to have a car that can finish better than in the front mid-pack... It has to have a better car than Renault and quite frankly - it is going to take a LOT to get Mercedes up there in hte front of the pack to finish first.

Lewis has a lot of years ahead of him - certainly he can win again question is can he win in a Mercedes or will it be after his 3 year tenure?
--
Brian

Pjr
Don't Panic

UK

3 edits
reply to roguesmith

But will it be with Mercedes? Ross Braun, MS, Nico and Mercedes are a very strong line up but have only managed one win in the two or three years they have been together; I can't see how Lewis can turn the team around.

Edit: I now realise that you didn't mean he would win the championship with Mercedes but just the occasional race. A win here and there isn't good enough. Lewis is there to win championships; anything less is worthless to him which begs the question as to why he joined them.
--