Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude

Re: [IPv6] Deployment of IPv6 Begins

said by whfsdude:

said by Mike Wolf:

How would one know if they are seeing RA's on their own router?

In my case I am using a *nix based router so I can just run tcpdump on the WAN interface.

tcpdump -i em0 -n -vv ip6

I am running DHCPv6 as well on the WAN int. Nothing being handed out to me yet but I wonder if that's because my Zoom modem isn't on their IPv6 list (maybe soon? finger crossed!).

While I don't use Comcast:

#1 Is that command vaild on DD-WRT or Tomato Firmware?

#2 Do I have to use Telnet (OR SSH) OR can I use the web based UI - to issue that command?

Thanks.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by aefstoggaflm:

#1 Is that command vaild on DD-WRT or Tomato Firmware?

I'm not sure if either of those include tcpdump on the default installation. However, it would be pretty easy to find a package or compile it yourself.

#2 Do I have to use Telnet (OR SSH) OR can I use the web based UI - to issue that command?

I don't know of many routers that offer a GUI interface for tcpdump. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is pfsense.

If you're running dd-wrt or tomato, you'll have to use ssh or telnet.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

Click for full size
Tomato doesn't have TCPDUMP on the default install, but it does have a GUI execute box for nix commands like TCPDUMP if installed.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by DocDrew:

Tomato doesn't have TCPDUMP on the default install, but it does have a GUI execute box for nix commands like TCPDUMP if installed.

If you use an interface like that you will want to wrap tcpdump in a bash script that forks the proc, and then kills it after a user defined time period.

Otherwise it'll just hang as the program won't end. Eg. like top.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad

MVM

An article on the Light Reading Cable site this evening:

Cable Giants Get Aggressive on IPv6
Light Reading Cable - March 20, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/doc ··· r_cable&

"Comcast Corp. and Time Warner Cable Inc. both expect to roll out IPv6 to a substantial number of customers this year, though neither is giving out specifics.

John Brzozowski, chief architect for IPv6 at Comcast, told a breakfast audience here that Comcast will have IPv6 deployed in half of its network by the end of the second quarter and is "happily on our way to nationwide IPv6 deployment," some of which spills over into 2013.

Brzozowski also says Comcast will have an IPv6 home networking solution to announce, probably by summer. That becomes more important as content moves to IPv6 and consumers get their hands on newer IPv6-capable devices.

Lee Howard, director of network technology for Time Warner Cable, reiterated that the MSO will have 100,000 customers on IPv6-capable networks by June 6, the new World IPv6 Launch Day, and added today that TWC sees 2012 as a year for substantial IPv6 activity, though that activity will continue into 2013.
:
All three companies have decided to go native dual stack, essentially deploying IPv4 and IPv6 side-by-side throughout their network. This is considered the most graceful solution to deploying IPv6 while continuing to support IPv4, but is often also the most expensive, which has led some carriers to consider transition strategies such as tunneling and Carrier-Grade Network Address Translation.

All three cable technologists say their extensive examination of IPv6 transition options led to the conclusion that native dual-stack is the only approach that isn't a Band-Aid approach, which essentially delays addressing the real problem: getting IPv6 out to the entire customer base.

"I can't say there are not circumstances under which we wouldn't use a different transition strategy," Howard says. "But since native IPv6 is our long-term strategy, anyway, it makes more sense to do that now.""

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Until we see specifics and actual tangible progress being made its just empty promises and words on a screen.

By tangiable process I mean the type of progress we see when World of More or channel bonding or faster speeds or D3 service is being rolled out and people are reporting in area by area, state by state when they got it.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to telcodad

to telcodad

(topic move) [IPv6] Comcast Pulls Back On IPv6 Rollout

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 6 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[IPv6] Comcast Pulls Back On IPv6 Rollout