spc
Search similar:

uniqs

kn
@comcast.net

kn

Anon

Retruning phone modem

I just upgraded to Comcast triple play to get the lower bundled price.
Can I just return the phone modem(tell them I have my own) so I won't be charged for it, and not install/use the phone service?
kn

kn

Anon

I only signed up for the triple play package to get the lower bundled price.

I do not need, do not want, and will never use CDV.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

The triple play price is for having all three sevices. If you return the modem and cancel your other two prices for internet and tv go up.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

OP didn't say they wanted to cancel CDV; just return the modem & not use CDV.

kn
@comcast.net

kn to rody_44

Anon

to rody_44
I would not 'cancel' the CDV/phone service. I would simply tell them I have my own modem(thus avoiding the charge for their modem), and not install the CDV package.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

I can't see why it wouldn't work. When I had CDV, I had their modem for CDV & my own for HSI. They wouldn't care if you don't use CDV.
Return it, provision your own & don't use CDV.

kn
@comcast.net

kn

Anon

What I don't understand:

IF the don't care if I use CDV, why do they send me emails and snail mail advertisements urging me to sign up for triple play.

Triple play is TV, internet, and CDV, at a lower price than I pay for TV and internet.

How is it so much to their advantage that I use CDV, that they are willing to give it to me for free, as well as lowering the prices of the other two services? It just doesn't make sense!

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

The point being per your question: they sell you the Triple Play & you of course have CDV. They don't care if you use the service. They have your money every month. If you never watch cable, surf the internet or make a call via CDV, they don't care.
The marketing aspects of having the 3 services is irrelevent to you if you are saving money.

kn
@comcast.net

kn

Anon

"The point being per your question: they sell you the Triple Play & you of course have CDV. They don't care if you use the service. They have your money every month. If you never watch cable, surf the internet or make a call via CDV, they don't care.
The marketing aspects of having the 3 services is irrelevent to you if you are saving money."

Of course you are correct, 'irrelevent', but curious.

The CDV upgrade package is supposed to arrive here on Friday.
I'll take it to the local office to return it on Monday, and see what results.

Thanks

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Whatever you do, put the receipt for the returned modem in a safe place. Mistakes happen where they continue to charge for a modem you don't have. It happened to me the beginning of this month after returning their CDV modem. I needed to go to my local office to physically show my receipt. The issue was resolved immediately. I will still monitor my account in case the modem lease returns.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

Whatever you do, put the receipt for the returned modem in a safe place...

Yes, and make sure that the safe place is also a dark, cool, dry place. The thermal paper that is sometimes used for the customer's copy of a sales or return receipt can fade into invisibility (or the paper can darken, depending on the type of paper used) if exposed to light, heat, or moisture. Anymore, I make a scanned copy of any receipt that I think might be needed in the future. I had this happen with the sales receipt for a cable modem that I purchased from Staples (that Comcast insisted belonged to someone else after I moved to a different address after about a year). I had not scanned that receipt, but fortunately, Staples was able to reproduce it for me from my credit card records.
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
join:2010-10-30
Chanhassen, MN

AndyDufresne to kn

Premium Member

to kn
They won't do it since the billing system will notice you don't have necessary equipment for cdv. You can purchase your own emta at best buy if you want to avoid rental fee. The emta is not available at all best buys.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

said by AndyDufresne:

They won't do it since the billing system will notice you don't have necessary equipment for cdv.

Are you sure? Support for this claim please.
obckilroy
join:2011-11-16

obckilroy to kn

to kn
said by kn :

How is it so much to their advantage that I use CDV, that they are willing to give it to me for free, as well as lowering the prices of the other two services? It just doesn't make sense!

Because they are counting on you keeping the cdv service after the promotional period expires. You'll notice the rates go up after the first year

jkj860
The Final Frontier
join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN

jkj860 to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by Johkal:

Whatever you do, put the receipt for the returned modem in a safe place...

Yes, and make sure that the safe place is also a dark, cool, dry place. The thermal paper that is sometimes used for the customer's copy of a sales or return receipt can fade into invisibility (or the paper can darken, depending on the type of paper used) if exposed to light, heat, or moisture. Anymore, I make a scanned copy of any receipt that I think might be needed in the future. I had this happen with the sales receipt for a cable modem that I purchased from Staples (that Comcast insisted belonged to someone else after I moved to a different address after about a year). I had not scanned that receipt, but fortunately, Staples was able to reproduce it for me from my credit card records.

Very good point! For any major purchases also.
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
Chanhassen, MN
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ERPro8
Netgear R7000

AndyDufresne to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal
No sure what support you are looking for.That is the way the CSG billing system is setup regarding CDV. This of course depends if this OP happens to be in a Comcast market that uses the CSG billing system. Not sure if Comtrac markets have same default option for areas that Comcast uses that billing system.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to kn

Premium Member

to kn
You can buy the phone modem at certain Best Buy locations. It sells for $149.99 and it's the Arris TM 722G, which is DOCSIS 3.0

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

The OP doesn't want to use the CDV. Why buy a modem as such?
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
Chanhassen, MN

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

He avoids the monthly emta rental fee.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

No need to spend the money for the emta modem if Comcast doesn't have requirements. Waiting for substantiation that Comcast will have exception to returning the CDV leased modem & use a non-emta owned modem.

kn
@comcast.net

kn

Anon

Andy,

I am not being sarcastic, but you make it sound like CSG is an autonomous system(HAL ?) that cannot be controlled by input from Comcast.

If Comcast enters an instruction not to charge for an emta modem that should be the end of it.

Can CSG ignore input from Comcast? Can the software(billing company?) overrule its master?
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
Chanhassen, MN

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

Kn, The billing system is setup to catch error like missing equipment. If a rep tries to add a service without the proper equipment it give an error message "more equipment needed" and does not let the order complete . What market/State are you in?

kn
@comcast.net

kn

Anon

Bolingbrook, IL.

I can't believe that I'm the only Comcast customer doing CDV with my own modem(Wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I dont know anything about what he is talking about. But i will say comcast is real stingy about letting anyone change anything about the system. What i mean is sure computers programs can be changed. But comcast is real stingy about giving anyone the access needed to make any changes at all. if the sytem doesnt allow it. It wont be allowed. Again tho i have no clue if that billing system is set up that way or not. If it is tho it wont be changed by anyone you talk to. they just wont have the administration access to do it.

Dee
@comcast.net

Dee to kn

Anon

to kn
If your modem is not an eMTA, then the previous poster is right, you won't be able to use it on the account for CDV.

IL is a CSG market, so it is unlikely that the modem swap that you are describing will be able to be done.
knestle
join:2012-04-04
Bolingbrook, IL

knestle

After waiting two weeks for the new eMTA modem to arrive I called Comcast to ask about the delay.

I don't really care since they have already changed my billing, and I now have a $79 credit on my account, I just enjoy bugging them.

They told me that my e911 registration had failed and that it needed to be redone. It only took five phone calls, over two days, and about three hours of my time, to get the e911 business straightened out. All of that for something I don't want and will never use.

At various times during the five phone calls I was told that my new monthly bill would be $114/$116/$120/$126, down from $152. I can't imagine how any of those numbers would result in a $79 credit.

So my new eMTA modem package arrived today.
I'm just going to park the box in a corner and forget about it, see if Comcast prompts me to install it.
AndyDufresne
Premium Member
Chanhassen, MN

AndyDufresne

Premium Member

You won't get prompted since you are paying for it. So I take it you gave up on trying to return emta and stay with triple play credit?
knestle
join:2012-04-04
Bolingbrook, IL

knestle

As long as they are giving me the Triple Play discounted price, and don't hassel me about hooking up a phone, I'll just let things ride.

Even if they charge me a monthly fee for the eMTA modem, I'm still $30 a month ahead.

If the billing gets too weird, or if they don't like the setup I'm using, I'll deal with that when it comes up.

kknestle
@comcast.net

kknestle

Anon

As I anticipated, the problems have begun.

I tried to log into my Comcast account today, wanted to see what they were doing with the billing.

I can't enter my account until I get a PIN number and choose a 'secret question' and answer, FCC regulations for a new phone hookup.

I was told that a PIN number is not assigned until a phone connection is activated(a $10 fee for activation).

It's beginning to look like they will force me to install the new router/modem and a phone.
kknestle

kknestle

Anon

and the $79.+ credit that showed on my account last week has now shrunk to $20.+. WTF!