spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Happyswitch

@shawcable.net

[AB] Just switched to shaw!

Hey all i just switch to shaw from telus. So happy i did!
For everyone saying switch to telus you are crazy.
Yes i cant go any faster than 350kb on torrents but if you use torrents your a sucker.
Telus is slow and gives you crap equipment. Downloading anywhere near top speed i couldnt open google nor access the router it self.
Now downloading at 3.2MB/sec on shaw i can still use any deivce in my house and browse the web.
Happy first week(lol) customer very happy about his 8x (6 to 50) speed gain for an extra 17 bucks a month.

PS. I get 48mbps from some of my linux mirrors here in AB SICK!!!

HappySwitch

@shawcable.net

Should add i have no problems with disconnects over here by the mall. I seen all those post before i called shaw.

Expand your moderator at work

tablo

join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB

1 edit
reply to Happyswitch

Re: [AB] Just switched to shaw!

hmm, I was almost thinking about switching because of the 10/10/10 deal they have.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Happyswitch

To be fair I found telus' speed consistent. When I lived in Edmonton it ran at a very solid 25/3. In Victoria a very solid 15/1.

The problem with telus is they haven't upgrade alot of areas. My brother lives in an area where they can only give him 1.5 down. ugh.

so with telus its all about where you live. Shaw's technology definitely works better to service larger areas.

HappySwitch

@shawcable.net

Yea everytime i call telus there talking about ports. How annoying!
So i called shaw and they came the next day.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to Happyswitch

said by Happyswitch :

Yes i cant go any faster than 350kb on torrents but if you use torrents your a sucker.
Telus is slow and gives you crap equipment. Downloading anywhere near top speed i couldnt open google nor access the router it self.
Now downloading at 3.2MB/sec on shaw i can still use any deivce in my house and browse the web.
Happy first week(lol) customer very happy about his 8x (6 to 50) speed gain for an extra 17 bucks a month.

Not to mention you can watch TV on dozens of screens while using your internet at that speed.

To be honest about network topologies, Telus' VDSL2+ technology uses a Star topology while cable uses a Bus toplogy.

When Telus moves customers to GPON they are moving them to a shared Bus topology just like cable/DOCSIS. I think this speaks to which Topology and Technology is the winner for residential broadband.

DOCSIS still has large legs. Manufacturers have testing bonding many more channels in their labs than are currently being used right now, meaning that DOCSIS can continue to grow available speed while node sizes shrink.

xDSL technologies are looking at bonding a second 'pair' of wires to the customer's home (where more than 1 pair is available). This will double their speed, but they don't have too many more tricks up their sleeves (maybe one more doubling).

DSL has about a 5 MHz pipe available, which cable is usually between 650 Mhz to 1 GHz (depending on equipment in the area).

I don't want to express my personal bias here, so much as point out that the residential broadband industry has shown a bias to moving to the Bus type topology that DOCSIS is using. That info is more useful for consideration than my own preference. Having said that, I don't think I could go back to less than 50 mbps again. :P

SIOYGYG

join:2011-01-08
Charlotte, NC
reply to Happyswitch

you should get bt guard

ratatouille5

@your-server.de
reply to ravenchilde

said by ravenchilde:

said by Happyswitch :

Not to mention you can watch TV on dozens of screens while using your internet at that speed.

To be honest about network topologies, Telus' VDSL2+ technology uses a Star topology while cable uses a Bus toplogy.

When Telus moves customers to GPON they are moving them to a shared Bus topology just like cable/DOCSIS. I think this speaks to which Topology and Technology is the winner for residential broadband.

DOCSIS still has large legs. Manufacturers have testing bonding many more channels in their labs than are currently being used right now, meaning that DOCSIS can continue to grow available speed while node sizes shrink.

xDSL technologies are looking at bonding a second 'pair' of wires to the customer's home (where more than 1 pair is available). This will double their speed, but they don't have too many more tricks up their sleeves (maybe one more doubling).

DSL has about a 5 MHz pipe available, which cable is usually between 650 Mhz to 1 GHz (depending on equipment in the area).

I don't want to express my personal bias here, so much as point out that the residential broadband industry has shown a bias to moving to the Bus type topology that DOCSIS is using. That info is more useful for consideration than my own preference. Having said that, I don't think I could go back to less than 50 mbps again. :P

I'm sure xDSL still has large legs. The worldwide xDSL market is quite bigger than the cable market, since cable infrastructure is largely a phenomenon in North America. This means it is in the best interest for major equipment vendors like Alcatel-Lucent, Huawei to continue to innovate xDSL technologies, if they want to maximize the earning potential of the residential broadband market. Plus, they have the financial backing of big telecom customers such as ATT, Vodafone, British Telecom, NTT, China Telecom.

It's reassuring to know that the technology you use is part of a global ecosystem of vendor and telecom heavyweights, all of which depend on it and have vested interest for it to succeed.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by ratatouille5 :

said by ravenchilde:

said by Happyswitch :

I'm sure xDSL still has large legs. The worldwide xDSL market is quite bigger than the cable market, since cable infrastructure is largely a phenomenon in North America. This means it is in the best interest for major equipment vendors like Alcatel-Lucent, Huawei to continue to innovate xDSL technologies, if they want to maximize the earning potential of the residential broadband market. Plus, they have the financial backing of big telecom customers such as ATT, Vodafone, British Telecom, NTT, China Telecom.

It's reassuring to know that the technology you use is part of a global ecosystem of vendor and telecom heavyweights, all of which depend on it and have vested interest for it to succeed.

One of the reason DSL is big worldwide is because alot of is new wiring. The 3rd world countries in development are just laying out their infrastructure now which means they're using fresh wiring and no old infrastructure like in north america. DSL might have a bigger shelf life abroad because of that.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to ratatouille5

said by ratatouille5 :

It *would* be nice to think that. All my research leads to no. Vendors seem to be talking about a couple, or maybe 3 more speed doublings (100 Mbps or so ATM). On very short loops. This means deploying more DSLAMs in neighborhood environmental enclosures, which some neighborhoods are fighting (in the USA anyways).
»sf.streetsblog.org/2011/04/25/ne···t-boxes/

In 2011 the CEO of AT&T, one of the worlds large xDSL providers declared "to chase comcast we built dsl, it is obsolete now"
»AT&T CEO Calls DSL 'Obsolete'

When you only have ~5MHz of bandwidth, there is only so much magic you can do. I know they are looking at expanding that bandwidth, but as Cable is already at 250, and DSL is not looking at a 10x gain in bandwidth, the CEO of AT&T could very well be right.