how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tnghrvm

join:2012-03-17
San Francisco, CA

Adding DSL Wireless Router to Existing Equipment

I currently have a DSL modem with a wired router connected to it. I want to add a 2Wire wireless DSL modem to the configuration behind the wired router. I do NOT want to replace the existing DSL modem with the 2Wire modem. Can I connect the 2Wire so that it's behind the wired router? It only has a phone jack and 4 ethernet ports--it doesn't have an Internet port like the wired router does. Can I connect a cable from one of the 4 ethernet ports on the 2Wire to the wired router and use "bridge" mode?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting

If I understand what you want to do is simply use the 2Wire unit as an Access Point.

If that is the case simply disable DHCP on the 2Wire and connect one of the LAN ports to your network. Assuming the gear is new enough to support AutoMDX you can use a standard Ethernet cable. If not will need to use a crossover cable.

/tom

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to tnghrvm

as per Ts,
»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

tnghrvm

San Francisco, CA

Thanks! I have it working, but...

The red DSL light won't stop blinking.
When I enable MAC filtering, one of my devices can connect, but others cannot.
Hard-wired connections to the DSL router can access the router config page, but not the Internet.

tnghrvm

San Francisco, CA
reply to tnghrvm

If the 2Wire is powered on after or at the same time as the wired router, the wired computers cannot access the Internet. There is an exclaimation mark on the network icon. If I unplug and replug the wired router everything works until I power down. Can someone explain what's going on?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

said by tnghrvm:

Thanks! I have it working, but...The red DSL light won't stop blinking

You cannot stop the dsl light from blinking........just ignore it
Can you describe in detail what you did to the configuration of the 2wire
Post the full part number and software version of the 2wire

tnghrvm

San Francisco, CA

Model: 2701HG-B
Software: 5.29.109.13
DSL Line Selection: Line 1
ATM Circuit Identifier: VPI:0, VCI 35
ATM Encapsulation: Bridged LLC
ATM PVC Search: Disabled
Connection Type: Direct IP (DHCP or Static)
Private Network:
Configure manually
Router Address: 192.168.1.254
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Advanced - Configure Services
Routing: Disabled

In Internet Connection Settings - Internet Address, I have "Obtain Internet address automatically" checked. Should I manually configure settings? What IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway should I use?

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

Technically - you can do it either way, but I'd recommend have a static address on your WAP (so you always know the address in case you need to get in it and do something). As for what the address should be - that depends on your network layout. You need to look in your DHCP server (router) and see what the range is for your dynamic addresses. Typically I'd use .1 for my router, .2 for a wap, .3 for another wap, etc - but some people do it differently. The subnet mask will be the same for everything in your network.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to tnghrvm

The 2wire is in bridge mode

said by tnghrvm:

In Internet Connection Settings - Internet Address, I have "Obtain Internet address automatically" checked

If the internet connections are for a computer you will not need to specify a ip address, subnet mask or default gateway
said by tnghrvm:

If the 2Wire is powered on after or at the same time as the wired router, the wired computers cannot access the Internet

With the setup you are using you must allow the router and the 2wire to finish the boot up process before you can access the internet