spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tuesday

join:2012-03-13

Fairpoint Unexplained Technician Visit Killed my

I had Fairpoint DSL 1.5 mpbs for a year trial, soon coming to it's end. I had good connect speeds consistently 1.5, and latency only in the 60ms range.

Then some tech scheduled on my account, and came to my house and left a flyer on my door that they moved me "down the road".

Since then, my connection is completely shot. Disconnecting every 5 minutes most of the evening, with my ip address changing each time, any service Im logged in with that requires a consistent IP logs me out and latencies in the 200 ms ping range and connect speeds 200-300kpbs

I've pleaded with Fairpoint to undo whatever they did. I get no explanations or responses of any substance. The tech support line simply doesn't know. Ticket remains open and unresponded to.

It's going on now for almost 3 weeks of constant disconnects. (I just got disconnected while writing this note)

I have no idea why they did this to my line and I have no other decent choices in the area that I know of, other than paying a cable company over a thousand dollars to run fiber to my house from the main road.

Dolgan
Premium
join:2005-10-01
Sun Prairie, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
From your brief description, they either moved your service to another RT/DSLAM, or changed the pair of copper wires that you were on. There should be an account history that shows any pair swaps that would have been necessary for either to occur. If you have phone service you should be able to check with POTS repair who should have access to that info. If you are on a dry loop would have the DSL support look into that information as well.

Good luck.

Tuesday

1 edit
Thanks Dolgan, I'll copy your message down and I'll call repair on Monday. I did call repair before, because another side problem that happened at the same time that I forgot to mention, is that anyone who tries to call me gets a fax signal (I dont have a fax, but I can call out ok) they checked the line and claimed I have a short on my line, but knowing this all began when the technician came out, plus the fact the line to my modem is directly connected to the network interface box, I didn't risk them coming out to check on that and not finding anything outside. I am hoping when they resolve the first problem it will fix the second.

I just did a speed test and I'm back up to 1.5 mpbs, the ping still remains rather high at 164.. .I hope at least this lasts, granted I'm probably the only one on the internet right now at 7:48 am.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
reply to Tuesday
Curious a tech would come to your premise without you complaining about Voice or DSL.

Given the POTS line now rings to a Fax I wonder if the tech came to the wrong address?

/tom

Tuesday

I thought it was strange too.

At the time I signed up, I had to fight to stay in line to get one of the last DSL slots lines in my town , my first thought when I saw the flyer on the door that I had been moved "down the road" and the subsequent horrible connection, was that someone else was given mine and I was moved to an inferior node.

I think after my continual calling though, they moved me back to my old node, judging by their code names that tech support gave me, it showed i was moved to a town east of me then back to my original node, but still getting disconnect and latency problems, though not as bad. Definitely not how it was for a year, almost problem free.

No idea about the fax tone, I'll call repair again tomorrow

Dolgan
Premium
Sun Prairie, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Tuesday
Sounds like the line is possibly crossed if you can not receive incoming calls and they go to a fax tone. tschmidt is correct in stating that the tech may have worked on the wrong number/address--that will make the records search difficult. Probably swapped pairs at a pedestal that was "down the road" and crossed the lines. Since you are also having phone trouble this should be handled by POTS repair. Would still recommend plugging a phone in at the NID and calling it to see if you can recreate the issue and ensure{even though I am 99.9% sure as it started after an outside tech did some work}it is an outside issue.

Tuesday

I called cs, I was hoping they would have more on their records, but they actually told me less than tech support did, and they didnt have the same info.

They had that there was only a general "upgrade" in my area and nothing was done to my physical line, even though I told them the engineer put a flyer on my door saying they moved me "down the road", as well as a tech support guy giving me the coding for the dslam I was moved to (which began with the letters of the towns names) then moved back from. She said he was incapable of this.

I'm still at square 1, but am having someone come to check the lines tomorrow from repair dept.

I checked my phones, I tried 2 phones directly from the Network interface box and its not the equipment, the fax noise still occurs on any incoming call (not a problem outgoing). And I'm still being disconnected every 3-5 minutes during peak as well as high pings,
I had none of these problems before they came out here initially.

I'm also told theres no way to know what engineer came here, as that would be the "construction" dept., though Im told any pair swaps or dslam moves would have to have been put on my account, they obviously weren't.

Hopefully they find whatever it is tomorrow.

Tuesday

Re: Fairpoint Unexplained Technician - Update

Found out they had to move my connection, and cant move me bac k. That's when all the trouble began. It's been ongoing. Disconnects during primetime evenings every 5-10 minutes or so.

Changed modems, they changed my provisioning, said the numbers are ok etc... but I'm still getting disconnects even when connected directly to the network interface box (via the rounded dsl cord using a splitter).

I don't think its my equipment, because its mostly ok during the day. Still no concrete answers.

Would posting my firmware's logs prove whether or not it's because of congestion or not ? or whether im too far from the new connection place/noise whatever ?

Dolgan
Premium
Sun Prairie, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
quote:
Found out they had to move my connection, and cant move me back.
Did they swap you to a different pair in the cable, did they move you to a different cable, and/or did they move you to different DSLAM/RT? Any specific reason that they had to move you since you were getting better service before? A field tech can make a cable/pair change in the course of their daily work and it is a very common repair resolution technique.

quote:
I checked my phones, I tried 2 phones directly from the Network interface box and its not the equipment, the fax noise still occurs on any incoming call (not a problem outgoing).
Was this issue resolved, or is it ongoing? If it is ongoing there is outside line trouble that POTS Repair needs to resolve and will also be the source of your DSL trouble. If your phone issue has cleared you may have been moved to a facility that lacks the backhaul capacity of your previous facility, and is congested/overloaded. Good luck in getting it resolved.