oc48fiber
join:2006-05-24
Brooklyn, NY

oc48fiber

Optimum Lightpath Installation

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Our building just got lit up with Optimum Lightpath. Here's the goodies.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

The Cisco switch is that basically how they convert from their Fiber Trunk to a Copper pair? What is the network layout would it go Cable Vision Fiber Trunk to that Cisco to your router?
oc48fiber
Brooklyn, NY

oc48fiber

Yeah the Cisco ME 3400E is their hand-off to copper in the building. It's also more than a switch, Optimum has remote access to the ME 3400E and can provision and monitor the site from that appliance. Right now we have the UPS hooked up to one of the alarm interfaces but it could do much more such as a door alarm, etc.

Yes we're hooking up our router to the ME 3400E. Model has yet to be decided.

jeffmoss26
join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26

OH wow haven't seen that Cablevision logo since they were the cable company here in Cleveland!

visitor
join:2001-07-26
South Windsor, CT

visitor to oc48fiber

to oc48fiber
DC power... geeky! We tend to demarc on our ME switches rather than breaking out to a panel like the westell. It looks like they build east / west out of their ME switch, very nice.

jeffmoss26
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26 to oc48fiber

to oc48fiber
What do you mean by east/west?
Where does the cable plugged into 'alarms' go?
djweis
join:2006-04-02
West Des Moines, IA

djweis

Jeff, the alarm cable goes to the rectifier to notify the carrier if the power goes out and what battery level is. No need taking trouble tickets for a power outage. East and west is the name given to the two diverse routes out of a switch or mux.
oc48fiber
Brooklyn, NY

oc48fiber

Yeah don't know why they did the breakout to the Westell. Although an additional note, our building may have more than 10 retail tenants and the bulk is residential.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to oc48fiber

MVM

to oc48fiber
Thats good stuff!

We have a Cisco ME 3400E at two branch offices for our WAN (not with cablevision though).

We also have a vallerie dc power that goes into a fujitsu flashwave 4100 ES and we have a redundant sonet ring for internet access from big red.

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick to oc48fiber

Premium Member

to oc48fiber
Do they make wallmount UPS units that can provide DC power to equipment such as a network switch?

Problem being i've got a small closet i need to put stuff in with no room for a regular rack and UPS. So I'm wondering if there's a cabinet i can mount to the wall and feed DC out of or even AC.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC

cramer

Premium Member

I know APC does (or did) as TWTC had one hanging in our telco room. However, it's technically not a "UPS" but a battery system.
mikkopel
join:2002-10-25
Haverstraw, NY

mikkopel to oc48fiber

to oc48fiber
Click for full size
Interesting... We have a different switch. But then again we have voice service too, maybe that made the difference?

(The Fortigate is our firewall...)
calvinj
join:2011-08-16
united state

calvinj

Take some pictures of the fortigate .. Always wondered what other people thought of them. We use them at this new job, but have not been given access to them
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

I have access to a FortiWiFi-20C... I am not impressed. In fact, I'm disgusted by their ultra-lame practice of bandwidth limiting the device. (20Mbps WAN-LAN, software limited. The hardware is capable of well over 100Mbps depending on the complexity of your security configuration. A complex setup might not even get the 20 it says on the tin.)

Don't believe most of their marketing drivel; until you get into the much more expensive, higher end systems, they do NOT have ASICs. The -20C has an atheros 8300 series gigabit switch, atheros wifi radio (mini-PCIe), and a FortiNet branded "FortiSoC" processor -- likely an atheros SoC (given the other atheros parts), or a broadcom SoC. Other than flash and ram, that's all that's in there. Also, the sticker claims it's an "a/b/g/n" device when it isn't -- 2.4Ghz only. And it does NOT follow WiFi Alliance requirements for, well, most things. [I found nowhere to set the radio channel, mode, or channel width; all required to put the wifi symbol on the thing.]

Otherwise, it does what it claims. Having atheros radio parts, it has exceptional wifi coverage. (24dbm at the lowest power (assuming that slider does anything) vs. a WRT600N (ddwrt) at max power... 48dbm.) It takes very little power, and generates almost no heat. [there are no heatsinks in it.] (esp. compared to the 600N)
aroberti
Sarcastic? Me? Never
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
Norwalk, CT

aroberti

Premium Member

Lots of bad information here -- it does have a 5GHz radio, and you can configure everything you spoke of (and more) if you create a custom profile (WiFi Controller > Managed Access Points > Custom AP Profile and select Create New on 4.0 MR3).

I've never seen a FortiNet device that artificially limits bandwidth, although I think the lowest I've gone is a 40-series device. CPU-limited, absolutely. As soon as anything passes through the firewall you'll take a hit, and a much larger one with IPS/AV/etc. But there's a processor utilization meter right on the dashboard that gives you an idea of how hard you're pushing the device.

I think the devices themselves are pretty nice. I love their subscription model where pretty much everything's included. Their support, on the other hand, leaves quite a bit to be desired.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Current Running Firmware: FWF20C-4.00-build511

That's "v4.0,build0511,120110 (MR3 Patch 4)" on a FortiWiFi-20C. (the free one they give you at training.) There are no such options on this thing. (No "WiFi Controller" in any place through the web interface or command line.) And I know [censored] well it does not have a 5GHz radio in it, despite the stickers on it. (Do they sell them with a/b radios? I don't know, but they certainly can as it's a simple card swap.) I've looked through every line of it's full config and see NOTHING about radio controls. Also, there's nothing in it's documentation about setting the radio channel/mode. This thing DOES limit it's WAN/LAN throughput... no firewall/NAT/nothing, all it has to do is move the packet from WAN to LAN (both GIGABIT interfaces), cpu load is zero, and it's doing almost exactly 20Mbps... an artificial software barrier.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

said by cramer:

an artificial software barrier.

Sort of like Cisco's barrier on the ASA5510/20.
aroberti
Sarcastic? Me? Never
Premium Member
Norwalk, CT

aroberti to cramer

Premium Member

to cramer
Click for full size
Fascinating. Just so you don't think I'm crazy, attached is what I believe you should be seeing. Again, I've never worked on a 20, so I suppose it could be different.

According to their spec sheet here: »www.fortinet.com/sites/d ··· -20C.pdf yours should have 5G.
cramer
Premium Member
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

Click for full size
No WiFi Controller
This -20C does not -- it was a freebie result of a certification class. (I've taken it apart... it does not have a dual band radio.) In the screenshot, you can see there's no "WiFi Controller" menu, and the WiFi interface (a "vap") has no radio options either.
mikkopel
Haverstraw, NY

mikkopel to oc48fiber

to oc48fiber
Click for full size
This Fortinet is 200B, a bit different from 20C. Here are some photos of our Lightpath installation.

jeffmoss26
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26

Nice typewriter :P
What is the Adtran unit for?
mikkopel
Haverstraw, NY

mikkopel

The typewrites is for when the Zombie Apocalypse comes in so we can still invoice our customers.

The Adtran is for voice. We have both internet and voice services through Lightpath.

jeffmoss26
Beachwood, OH

jeffmoss26 to oc48fiber

to oc48fiber
That is what I figured, I see quite a few of those Adtran units around here.
aroberti
Sarcastic? Me? Never
Premium Member
Norwalk, CT

aroberti to mikkopel

Premium Member

to mikkopel
said by mikkopel:

The typewrites is for when the Zombie Apocalypse comes in so we can still invoice our customers.

That's more of a DR plan than some people have...

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to jeffmoss26

to jeffmoss26
It's a TA900 that takes SIP converts it so they can hand off FXS (POTS) PRI or Voice T1s. I manage a large number of those and Cisco IAD2431s in our network.