uniqs

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

[washing machine] Whirlpool Cabrio damaged by coins twice!

I seems strange after 5 years, my Whirlpool Cabrio high efficiency washer's drain pump died from coins. The blades were worn down to uniform short rounded blades and the housing developed a crack and started to leak.

$300 later the serviceman had replaced the pump, having removed coins, and all was well for a few months and deja-vue! Even more unbelievable! They say they can cut us a deal this time for around $200.

Is there not something intended to trap coins and protect a machine that's worth $900 to replace? A course drain catch or something. This last time, a nickle and two pennies were found. One of the blades were gone and the housing was again cracked.

Are there He washers that properly protect? The serviceman told my wife, the front loading washers are worse for coins. Cabrio is a top loading appliance.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Removing the coins from the clothes before putting them in the washer would save a lot of money.

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn to usa2k

Anon

to usa2k
How can coins get beyond the basket? I have the Kenmore equivalent of your machine, and the holes in the basket are only 3/16" in diameter. Any kids in the house, even just visitors?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH

tschmidt to usa2k

MVM

to usa2k
That is strange every washing machine we have used, had a strainer to keep big stuff out of the drain.

/tom

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

I remember in the past seeing a coin or two; even a button, and it did not look like coins should get through. Googling mostly gave me mostly self repair tips, and cautions about coins.

»www.ehow.com/how_1219155 ··· her.html

»www.washerhelp.co.uk/was ··· e_3.html

»www.rd.com/home/how-to-r ··· liances/

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

1 recommendation

nunya to usa2k

MVM

to usa2k
I always find the coins in the bottom of my good old cheapazz $400 washer. I get to keep whatever I find.

Everybody leaves something in their pockets on occasion. You can't find it all.
FWIW, coins ruining the washer seems to be a VERY common complaint with your model. Based on the volume of complaints for the same issue, there obviously is a design flaw that's not your fault.

"Do Not Buy, Poor Design
Jul 07 '09
Pros: Makes laundry room look like UFO hangar.
Cons: Coins destroy the washer, soak your house, expensive washer repair.

Summary: We owned the Cabrio washer for less than a year. One day washer dumps entire load of water on our second floor laundry room floor. Repairmen comes out, dumps about $5 in coins out from the water pump removed from the bottom of the unit. ..."

"My Whirlpool Cabrio washer has some coins trapped in the inside of the machine. I need to find out how to remove the agitator to check inside for more coins."

"We need to replace the water pump in our cabrio washer. Coins got caught in it and now is leaking. Do we have to buy the whole pump or can we buy the plastic housing that is leaking. The motor to the pump is still working?"

"Despite all efforts coins get stuck in or near the pump water drain. I have removed the coins but last time we punctured the pump water drain. I am going to replace the pump water drain.
Has anyone done this and is it difficult?
Other than grilling my family, is there a way to keep the coins from clogging my washer?"

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

2 recommendations

KrK

Premium Member

No washer should be destroyed or heavily damaged because items that commonly end up in a washer (like coins or buttons) do accidentally end up in the machine.

That's just a serious design flaw. Manufacturer should have to recall and fix or replace the washers for free.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to usa2k

Premium Member

to usa2k
The Cabrio is a Fisher Pakel design that Whirlpool "improved" with a larger diameter tub impeller.
The washer uses the pump to drain the tub, and also uses the pump to recirculate water in the washer.
There is a plastic loop across the opening to the pump that is supposed to block objects like coins but they can obviously still get through at an angle eventually.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK
said by KrK:

No washer should be destroyed or heavily damaged because items that commonly end up in a washer (like coins or buttons) do accidentally end up in the machine.

That's just a serious design flaw. Manufacturer should have to recall and fix or replace the washers for free.

At my house now and when I was growing up the checking of pockets and removing anything in them was part of the washing procedure. Neither my mom's or my washers have ever experienced any damage from objects left in pockets and no we never dug out any coins or other metal objects that didn't cause damage.

I don't see how it's a design flaw when objects other than clothing are placed in the machine.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

1 recommendation

KrK

Premium Member

It's a design flaw. Such items are common in clothing. It is to be expected. Items even come off the clothes themselves, I have found loose buttons and zippers in the machine before.

It's something that is reasonable to expect to occur.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Jack_in_VA

MVM

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

I don't see how it's a design flaw when objects other than clothing are placed in the machine.

The design should be such that common mistakes should not have dire consequences especially if it it is easy to prevent as is this case.

/tom

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by tschmidt:

said by Jack_in_VA:

The design should be such that common mistakes should not have dire consequences especially if it it is easy to prevent as is this case.

/tom

I agree but people should still try to check especially if they've already had a problem once.

Radio Active
My pappy's a pistol
Premium Member
join:2003-01-31
Fullerton, CA

1 recommendation

Radio Active to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

I always find the coins in the bottom of my good old cheapazz $400 washer. I get to keep whatever I find.

Everybody leaves something in their pockets on occasion. You can't find it all.

OT (sorry).

When I was a kid, I used to "supplement" my weekly allowance ($5.00) by collecting coins from the top-load washers at the local laundromat. Just unscrew the nut, lift the agitator, and collect everything you find.

I was up to about $20/30 per week; BIG for a eighth-grader in the 70's... Eventually, the owner got wise and locked 'em down.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to usa2k

Premium Member

to usa2k
said by usa2k:

I seems strange after 5 years, my Whirlpool Cabrio high efficiency washer's drain pump died from coins. The blades were worn down to uniform short rounded blades and the housing developed a crack and started to leak.

$300 later the serviceman had replaced the pump, having removed coins, and all was well for a few months and deja-vue! Even more unbelievable! They say they can cut us a deal this time for around $200.

It is strange as I've never seen any coins in my washer. All pockets are checked before washing. This also prevents crayons or markers or pens in the dryer (if you have kids) or anything else at all when you prevent anything but empty clothing in the washer. Then it is still empty clothing when it hits the drier. Maybe a better practice would be checking all pockets as you load each clothing item into the washing machine?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by Doctor Olds:

said by usa2k:

It is strange as I've never seen any coins in my washer. All pockets are checked before washing. This also prevents crayons or markers or pens in the dryer (if you have kids) or anything else at all when you prevent anything but empty clothing in the washer. Then it is still empty clothing when it hits the drier. Maybe a better practice would be checking all pockets as you load each clothing item into the washing machine?

That's what I said earlier. The machine should not allow coins to get to the pump but I was taught early by my mother to check pockets before putting clothes in the washer. This has served me very well for about 60 years now.

I do know however if I had spent $300 on one pump replacement I would be sure to check so that it would not happen again or buy a different washer.

Nuckfuts
Premium Member
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

Nuckfuts to usa2k

Premium Member

to usa2k
I have a top load Cabrio bought in '07 and something got in the pump once and I took it the drain hose off the pump but nothing every came out and the noise went away eventually with no damage luckily. Once i awhile I find a coin in the basket and they can fall thru the basket which sucks but I guess the only solution is to make sure there are no coins in your pants pockets. My wife uses are machine ALOT and it has been running strong for almost 5 years so I am gonna go knock on some wood now=) BTW, I only paid $700 for mine.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

said by Nuckfuts:

... it has been running strong for almost 5 years so I am gonna go knock on some wood now=)

I wish you luck! I hope its not more susceptible with age, but I'm beginning to believe it is.

My youngest brings laundry regularly. My wife does laundry, and I do laundry. It gets a good regular workout.

I'm beginning to suspect the inner drum must flex more in some way to allow coins to get through. It spins up to high speeds, and is really good at balancing uneven loads. In spite of how careful one can be, it can happen now and then.

Looking at the inner drum, there are no obvious openings. It should stop such things.

So nobody has seen any adds from washing machine manufacturers that boast about any traps/technology to safeguard against coin damage? Such companies would move up on my list when considering a new purchase.

Somedo
@apexcovantage.com

Somedo

Anon

said by usa2k:

So nobody has seen any adds from washing machine manufacturers that boast about any traps/technology to safeguard against coin damage? Such companies would move up on my list when considering a new purchase.

LG front loaders have a filter before the pump (and a manual drain if you ever need to drain it) It's behind the little access door on the front. They call it a lint filter but obviously if it can trap lint it can trap bigger objects like coins.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· RtJLds6g

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

1 edit

usa2k

MVM

Thanks!

WOW! This was a informative, but tedious video of replacing the LG pump, but at least you are not trying to get at things from beneath the washer.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Lk_IXLLI