how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TSR_Rick

join:2011-09-10

1 edit

Arris TG862g and Xbox Live

Been doing a search online for this issue to see if anyone else found a fix. WoW seems to have been using this modem longer than anyone else, so maybe someone here can help.

I work for a different cable company, and we just started getting these Arris MTA/Gateways. We are having issues with what appears to be the newer Xbox360 Slims with built in wireless getting connected wirelessly to these gateways, they refuse to grap an IP, and give a generic error saying the Wireless passphrase maybe incorrect.

We use the modems with WPA2 security. Any other info you need, ask and I can look I have one on my own home account and unlike our customers I can gain access to the router's configs.

EDIT: Wired connections work just fine on either system, and I had a customer who had no isseus with the Older xbox and an external wifi adapter. SO it almost has to be an issue with something Microsoft changed.

willseeeee

@wideopenwest.com
This is also an issue with wow at the moment. Not sure why but it is only the slim models like you already stated. No fix for these yet that I know of. Maybe wow dan will chime in let us know if they have fixed this yet.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to TSR_Rick
Well, sometimes wireless driver problem do happen, nothing any of us can really do about it. Here is a a real, real long shot here of a possible problem you could troubleshoot. Once in a while you hear about problems where older network gear has problems with newer mac addresses. Like there is some bug that gets uncovered because a newer device will have a mac address that doesn't begin with 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx or some other global mac address range and instead starts with 0A:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx or some other one in the local range. Take a look at the mac addresses of wireless clients that do work and don't work. See if you notice anything about the first two digits. Try changing the mac address on a working wireless client to be the mac address of a device that isn't working. Does it also not work now?

»www.mynetwatchman.com/pckidiot/e ··· rnet.htm

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:40
reply to TSR_Rick
said by TSR_Rick:

Been doing a search online for this issue to see if anyone else found a fix. WoW seems to have been using this modem longer than anyone else, so maybe someone here can help.

I work for a different cable company, and we just started getting these Arris MTA/Gateways. We are having issues with what appears to be the newer Xbox360 Slims with built in wireless getting connected wirelessly to these gateways, they refuse to grap an IP, and give a generic error saying the Wireless passphrase maybe incorrect.

We use the modems with WPA2 security. Any other info you need, ask and I can look I have one on my own home account and unlike our customers I can gain access to the router's configs.

EDIT: Wired connections work just fine on either system, and I had a customer who had no isseus with the Older xbox and an external wifi adapter. SO it almost has to be an issue with something Microsoft changed.

There is some new firmware that is supposed to correct this issue. I believe we may have received it recently, but it's still in testing before we roll it out. If you are looking for help with this issue, I recommend contacting Arris, as they know of this issue. They may be able to supply you with a new firmware version.
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

Suavemike

@wideopenwest.com
Is this still an issue with WOW? I'm getting Ultra TV tomorrow. I WAS pretty excited about it but I have a slim 360 and I play games on it everyday. If I come home tomorrow to no xbox live, I am not going to be a happy camper.

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
said by suavemike:

Is this still an issue with WOW? I'm getting Ultra TV tomorrow. I WAS pretty excited about it but I have a slim 360 and I play games on it everyday. If I come home tomorrow to no xbox live, I am not going to be a happy camper.

This problem is only affecting the TG862 modems. Ultra TV works fine with Xbox, as long as you're using AES or TKIP/AES for your wireless encryption (TKIP/AES preferred).
--
Dan Della Terza
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone
Network Operations Center

Chopkins

@wideopenwest.com
I'm really hoping that someone can help me out - we just got Ultra TV and I cannot get the XBox to connect to the wireless network. I tried with the original encryption setting (TKIP/AES) and then switched to AES but no matter what I try the XBox won't connect to the network (let alone to the Internet or to XBox Live). Does anyone have any tips that they can share?

Chopkins

@wideopenwest.com
One other thing to mention - before our upgrade to Ultra TV, I had set up a Cisco Valet and gotten the XBox 360 to work with that. Interestingly enough, it still works using the Valet, just not through the Arris box. I'm probably missing something ridiculously easy...

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to TSR_Rick
The only setting I know that has an affect on the Xbox is the TKIP/AES. The slim Xboxes require use AES only. Do other devices connect to your network without issue?