« UBB?
This is a sub-selection from Should be Deleted
waldstein
join:2010-07-25
Hoserland

waldstein to bklass

to bklass

Re: Should be Deleted

Perhaps I should have said, "Show me a single case of a Shaw user being CHARGED for excessive usage." I've been aware of that document forever, and I'm also fully aware that my specific program (bb50) carries a nominal monthly limit of 400, (plus 50 since I have three services). I did say "hard" caps and I have yet to see posters on this forum who have been charged for overages on Shaw.

I have been repeatedly informed by Shaw personnel that NO hard caps (ie: excessive use fees) will be in place until at least August, 2012, and possibly well after that.

Insofar as Shaw's potential usage tiers are concerned, they seem eminently reasonable to me, but that is not the point of this correspondence. In any event, enough of this.

Cheers
bklass
Premium Member
join:2012-02-06
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

"‡ The Bump-Up Program will come into effect August of 2012. The Bump-Up Program will temporarily bump you up to the next Broadband Internet package until the end of your current billing cycle if you exceed your current Broadband Internet monthly data allowance.
You will be able to receive a higher data allowance and enjoy faster Internet speeds. All you will have to do is pay the difference, and the first time you go over well give it to you for free!
On the first day of the following billing cycle you will return to your original Broadband package and your Internet data allowance will be restored."

marian22
@shawcable.net

marian22

Anon

His review says 'ubb drains his wallet' which is clearly a lie. Shaw has never charged for going over the usage limit. The Bump-Up program is (tentatively) scheduled for August 2012. That hasn't even happened yet.
Lesaonar
join:2000-07-25
Victoria, BC

Lesaonar to bklass

to bklass
Bump up is not UBB. UBB is a overage cost per unit (usually GB). Bump up is not a per unit charge, you pay the difference between your current tier and the one above it and gain the benefits of increased caps/speed at a minimal cost. UBB was never implemented so no-one has been charged $$$ under the UBB scheme.

The OP was never charged anything under the UBB, as claimed, because it doesn't exist.
bklass
Premium Member
join:2012-02-06
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

Wow. Just, wow. The 2011 UBB decision related to what incumbents could charge to wholesale providers. The CRTC does not regulate retail rates. All major carriers have data caps, hence usage based billing DOES exist and almost all plans offered by major carriers have UBB. Some may or may not charge but "Bump Up" definitely is UBB since if you USE more data you are BILLED more for that use.
« UBB?
This is a sub-selection from Should be Deleted