Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

1 edit

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

[Excel] Freeze only Header + First Column

With Excel 2007 I am trying to freeze the top row and first column from scrolling. The options available under "view" - "freeze panes" are to freeze the top row or the first column, but not both at the same time. Can this be done by some other method ?

cmcasey79
join:2000-12-10
Allen Park, MI

cmcasey79

Re: [Excel] Freeze Panes

I don't have 2007 installed on my computer, but from »office.microsoft.com/en- ··· 48.aspx:

To lock one row only, click Freeze Top Row.
To lock one column only, click Freeze First Column.
To lock more than one row or column, or to lock both rows and columns at the same time, click Freeze Panes.

So it sounds doable, just click the button instead of doing the drop down menu of choices.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

1 edit

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

Thanks, but that seems to malfunction. When I highlight the first row and column and then select "Freeze Panes", it does freeze them. Unfortunately this operation also freezes the 4 data rows under the header and the first three data columns to the right of the first column. Then only the lower right portion of my data table scrolls which is not what I need.

Edit - row to column.
SipSizzurp

2 edits

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

To freeze the top row and the first column, click and highlight cell # B,2 and then click "Freeze Panes". Go figure.....

»txpress.blogspot.com/200 ··· cel.html

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Who'd have thought it would be that simple ! I've wanted to do this forever (and admittedly didn't look much at all for a solution). I've always been able to freeze a row or freeze a column, but not both together.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to SipSizzurp

Premium Member

to SipSizzurp
said by SipSizzurp:

To freeze the top row and the first column, click and highlight cell # B,2 and then click "Freeze Panes". Go figure...

Unfortunately, I just now read this thread. But I've done it that way 'forever'. The idea is that you highlight a cell as a 'pointer', above and to the left of which you want the rows/columns frozen... then just click "Freeze Panes". This works wherever the cell is highlighted on the screen.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

The thing is, to freeze a column or a row, you highlight the entire column/row. It's a different procedure so it's not as intuitive.

That said, I have a couple of spreadsheets I will be trying this on today !

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by Hall:

The thing is, to freeze a column or a row, you highlight the entire column/row. It's a different procedure so it's not as intuitive. ...

For me, highlighting a cell has worked for that as well. To freeze just a row, you highlight a cell in col A just below the row you want to freeze... the visible rows above the highlighted one get frozen. Correspondingly for freezing just a column. The only freezing that doesn't work by highlighting is if you highlight cell A-1... that creates a row-and-column freeze more or less out in the middle of the display, which probably serves some intended purpose about which I've never bothered to look up. Anyway, my point is that I use this one highlighting method for any row and/or column freezing of any kind on the screen.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

I vaguely remember using Excel's built-in help. On Windows, with Office XP, it says

To freeze a pane, do one of the following:
The top horizontal pane. Select the row below where you want the split to appear.

The left vertical pane. Select the column to the right of where you want the split to appear.

I added the italics.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

said by Hall:

... Excel's built-in help.

Thanks for the reminder to check "Help" ( it would have tied in first place with Google at answing the question in under 20 seconds ).

As Ass-Auckwards as the GUI may be, the help file in Excel 2007 would have saved me.
quote:
On the worksheet, do one of the following:
To lock rows, select the row below where you want the split to appear.

To lock columns, select the column to the right of where you want the split to appear.

To lock both rows and columns, click the cell below and to the right of where you want the split to appear.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

I made to sure to reference "on Windows" because when I dug into this, it was on a Mac. By the way, Office XP help also includes the 3rd reference, i.e. lock both. On the Mac though, with Office 2008, it only has:

Freeze rows and columns
You can prevent important rows or columns from scrolling off the screen by freezing them. For example, you can freeze a top row that contains column headings so that the labels remain visible as you scroll in the sheet.

On the View menu, click Normal.

Do one of the following:

To freeze a

Row: Select a cell in the row below the row that you want to freeze.

Column: Select a cell in the column to the right of the column that you want to freeze.

On the Window menu, click Freeze Panes.

There is NO reference to freezing BOTH. It DOES work though (using the same method given on Windows).