»browseryoulovedtohate.com/
Snapped 2012-03-18 13:57:05

»browseryoulovedtohate.com/learn
Snapped 2012-03-18 14:15:38

»browseryoulovedtohate.com/tagged/testimonial
Snapped 2012-03-18 14:19:24

quote:
About
Some people are trying the new Internet Explorer and actually liking it. Not that they would say that out loud. Curious? It's a new browser.

More @ »browseryoulovedtohate.com/
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
My guess: those coming off the AOL browser?
Expand your moderator at work

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to dvd536

Re: [IE] Internet Explorer: The Browser You Loved To Hate

Note: that site is owned and operated by Microsoft.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to Gone Fishing
For a browser that only runs on Windows they treat it like a pr issue.

Maybe they should fix those cookie leaks which last I checked had not been fixed in any major version for years.

Edit: I booted into Win 8 Customer Preview with IE 10, and yes when it still leaks 1st party cookies to 3rd party sites. Microsoft has been informed about this issue, and still fails to address it.
»www.grc.com/cookies/forensics.htm

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29

1 edit
reply to Gone Fishing

Microsoft pitches IE9 as the browser for reaching 'a few sites'

quote:
Microsoft pitches IE9 as the browser for reaching 'a few sites'

Touting IE9 to Firefox, Chrome users, IE marketing chief says, 'You don't need to ditch your current browser'

By Gregg Keizer
March 19, 2012 09:44 AM ET

Computerworld - Microsoft has kicked off a new marketing campaign for Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) that urges users of rival browsers to run it, even if only sparingly for "a few sites that you go to everyday."

The unusual approach, which Microsoft launched last week on browseryoulovedtohate.com, a domain it registered last month, is part of Microsoft's continued campaign to convince Windows users to stick with IE9, or if they've switched browsers, to give it another try.

"One of the more interesting trends these days is the number of Chrome and Firefox enthusiasts who have 'added' Internet Explorer 9 into their browsing mix," said Roger Capriotti, the director of IE marketing, in a blog post last week. "You don't need to ditch your current browser, but there are probably a few sites you go to each day like Facebook that you can pin with IE9."

More @ »www.computerworld.com/s/article/···myId=211

Related:
Exploring IE
Comebacks come in many shapes and sizes – Internet Explorer 9
»windowsteamblog.com/ie/b/ie/arch···r-9.aspx
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

Re: Microsoft pitches IE9 as the browser for reaching 'a few sit

quote:
In the year since IE9's launch, the total usage share of IE has fallen 5.5 percentage points, a loss that represents about 9.4% of IE's March 2011 share, according to Web measurement company Net Applications. During that same period, Chrome grew by 56.5%, adding 6.8 percentage points.
Eight years ago, when I first became a web developer, IE had 95% market share. They've lost half of that. There's always a reason such things happen. More informed users.

Wily_One
Premium
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by howardfine:

Eight years ago, when I first became a web developer, IE had 95% market share. They've lost half of that. There's always a reason such things happen. More informed users.

Well being informed does you no good if there are not viable alternatives. 8 years ago what was the alternative to IE - Netscape Navigator? And other than hatred for Microsoft what was the compelling reason to run it?

The difference between now and then is now we have real competition from viable alternatives, with different browsers that actually provide better security, functionality, compatibility, etc.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to Gone Fishing

If you want me to run IE9 - make it portable. So I could run it on any computer without installation. That's the way I currently use Iron/Chrome and Firefox. From the other side, if you don't want me to run it - put a restriction to run only on Vista+ OS... But if you put that restrictions deliberately - accept what you're getting with this shortsighted policy. You get what you wanted. .
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to Wily_One

said by Wily_One:

And other than hatred for Microsoft what was the compelling reason to run it?

Scottrade brokerage would have told you then to run Netscape because it worked correctly.
quote:
[now we have] different browsers that actually provide better security, functionality, compatibility, etc.

And THAT is what I meant by users who are better informed about that.

Back then I was running FF v0.8 to the howls of laughter from others, including people on this board which is why I left for many years.

handwritten

join:2004-09-06
wednesday
reply to Wily_One
said by Wily_One :
Well being informed does you no good if there are not viable alternatives. 8 years ago what was the alternative to IE - Netscape Navigator? And other than hatred for Microsoft what was the compelling reason to run it?

The difference between now and then is now we have real competition from viable alternatives, with different browsers that actually provide better security, functionality, compatibility, etc.

Pretty much this. I kept trying Opera and Mozilla back in the early 00's but kept going back to IE because they really weren't any better. Once Firebird came out though I never looked back.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
said by handwritten:

said by Wily_One :

Pretty much this. I kept trying Opera and Mozilla back in the early 00's but kept going back to IE because they really weren't any better. Once Firebird came out though I never looked back.

Does opera still have java problems?

Jerrie

@sbcglobal.net
reply to howardfine
When my daughter was in college, the school's IT Dept. told them to use FF. She did, and switched back to IE. Browsers such as FF and Opera are not necessarily superior to IE. It is all about what you feel comfortable with. As for IE's share of the market? Well, people have more choices. Look at the car industry. In the old days, GM, chrysler and ford controlled the market in the US. Now, they do not.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
Things changed, Microsoft tried to take over the web with IE, made a deal with Apple to make it the default browser on the mac for example. Then browsers were expected to be free, and opera was still charging money for their browser which didn't support most of the internet sites anymore.

Pheonix/Firebird/Firefox came out, and allowed people to use something other than IE for free. It eventually allowed consumers to take back the web away from proprietary IE, and Opera did nothing at all to help this, even crying like a bitch to the EU for giving away their browser with their operating system "oh no". Opera eventually adapted to the free model, but not until after somebody else did all the work for them.

So basically Microsoft tried to monopolize the internet with their proprietary browser, and failed. Now we have more choices, and from the success of Firefox we have other choices like Chrome.

I won't even get into all of the IE hacktivex/application proxy issues which allowed it to be infected with the most recent patches, and exploits months old with the default configuration.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to Gone Fishing

I love IE9 .... So do hundreds of millions of people. It's faster than any other browser out there and that includes Chrome, Firefox etc.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

3 edits
reply to Jerrie

said by Jerrie :

Browsers such as FF and Opera are not necessarily superior to IE.

Firefox, Opera and Chrome are far, FAR superior to IE. IE can't do certain things at all, such as WebGL or text-shadows or SVG animation, or proper DOM support, or.... technical stuff you aren't aware of. At best, IE9 is two years behind the curve compared to any other browser.
quote:
It is all about what you feel comfortable with.
Absolutely agree! Browser choice, nowadays, is personal preference. All of them are good so you should pick the one you like the most, EXCEPT for IE. IE holds back the web. How? We web developers are unable to use certain functionality available everywhere unless we're willing to spend the time, and our client's money, to write extra code to force IE into compliance. Many developers and clients are unwilling to do this and, therefore, hold back progress.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to mozerd

I went to that site listed above and told them how much i love IE6 and 98se and I explained why

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
said by Dude111:

i love IE6 and 98se and I explained why

IE6 and 98se? Wow! I've never even heard of them.
I'll have to try them for sure!
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
reply to Gone Fishing

All,

According to the below referenced web site (dated Aug., 2010), Internet Explorer (IE) 9 scores 95 out of 100 in the Acid Test 3 for meeting web standards:

»www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsof···ber/2296

The article is not too long, and is a good read for those who are interested in this subject. That is, the subject that IE does not comply with web standards.

Freddy

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

3 edits
said by Freddy:

According to the below referenced web site (dated Aug., 2010), Internet Explorer (IE) 9 scores 95 out of 100 in the Acid Test 3 for meeting web standards

Acid3 test are cute. Good for marketing. But of little value to show compliance with current web standards. Acid3, specifically, only tests up through CSS2.1 and nothing with CSS3, HTML5, current javascript (ecmascript) standards, etc. Acid3 is more than 3 years old.

I've shown other links on this board for years, including the two links above, to show the parts of IE9 that do not work at all, but people choose to ignore them. Acid3 is the worst thing to use. Even Ian Hickson, the author of it, says not to use Acid tests to compare browsers (I'm looking for the link).

IE is still the worst browser on the planet, technically, and always will be.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
Phoenix, AZ
said by howardfine:

IE is still the worst browser on the planet, technically, and always will be.

Its a good moneymaker for AV, AT, AM companies

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Freddy
said by Freddy:

All,

According to the below referenced web site (dated Aug., 2010), Internet Explorer (IE) 9 scores 95 out of 100 in the Acid Test 3 for meeting web standards:

»www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsof···ber/2296

The article is not too long, and is a good read for those who are interested in this subject. That is, the subject that IE does not comply with web standards.

Freddy

A very good read Freddy. Thanks for sharing. I prefer Firefox, but you can bet that I will download IE 9 and give it a try.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
reply to Gone Fishing
Only use IE at work and only for sites that literally don't work with other browsers. WTF is that about? That right there is enough to make NOT use IE whenever possible.

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

I prefer Firefox, but you can bet that I will download IE 9 and give it a try.

When you give it a try, make sure you try it on the links I gave earlier. Then try those same links in any other browser and report back.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by howardfine:

said by Nightfall:

I prefer Firefox, but you can bet that I will download IE 9 and give it a try.

When you give it a try, make sure you try it on the links I gave earlier. Then try those same links in any other browser and report back.

No browser is going to render every website correctly. Sure, we would all love to see it, but so far, it hasn't been a reality.
--

howardfine

Saint Louis, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
said by Nightfall:

No browser is going to render every website correctly. Sure, we would all love to see it, but so far, it hasn't been a reality.

I'm not talking about rendering it correctly. I'm talking being able to render current, standard code at all that EVERY other browser does fine with.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by howardfine:

said by Nightfall:

I'm not talking about rendering it correctly. I'm talking being able to render current, standard code at all that EVERY other browser does fine with.

The issue is that not every site is coded that way. Not trying to be defeatist, but so far, no single browser is able to view every site without an issue.

The issue here is getting all the site code updated to the latest and greatest code.
--