join:2007-10-02
Newcastle, ON
Asus XT8
Asus RT-AX92U
Nokia XS-010X-Q

shwatkin to nfixit2004

Premium Member

to nfixit2004

Re: What usenet service everyone using now?

Usenet.net - $9.99 (Giganews backbone)
»www.usenet.net/usenet-deals/

Newshosting - $9.99 (Highwinds backbone)
»www.newshosting.com/partners/

Ngroups.NET - $9.99 (Readnews backbone)
»ngroups.net/external/ngr/

GIBInews - 3,50€ (Unknown backbone)
»gibinews.eu/

All of these providers are over 1200 days retention and under $10 a month. GIBInews is under $5.
Bark
join:2006-03-19
Grand Junction, CO

Bark

^ It looks like you're spending $35/month but I'm afraid to ask why.
unoriginal
Premium Member
join:2000-07-12
San Diego, CA

1 edit

unoriginal

Premium Member

said by Bark:

I would disagree. I think that shwatkin is merely pointing out cheap deals and the company that they resell. Since only Astraweb and Giganews actually own and run their servers. Everyone else is merely a reseller of those two, Highwinds or Readnews.

shwatkin
Premium Member
join:2007-10-02
Newcastle, ON
Asus XT8
Asus RT-AX92U
Nokia XS-010X-Q

shwatkin to Bark

Premium Member

to Bark
said by Bark:

As unoriginal already stated, I was merely pointing out some good deals for people. I personally use Ngroups.NET as my primary usenet provider and have GIBInews as a cheap backup service.

I know lots of people have preferences of one provider over another but I personally think that any provider on a good backbone (resold or not) will serve you well. Doesn't matter if its Giganews, Highwinds, Readnews or Astraweb. Pick the one that gives you the best deal and stick with them. When I signed up for Ngroups over 5 years ago they had 100 days of retention. Over the years I have been rewarded for my patience with great service and expanded features. Retention is now well over 1000 days (CRAZY!), they offer free unlimited online storage, free VPN access, free SSL and 30 connections for under $10. Pretty hard to beat. There was a time when SSL wasn't always free and connections were usually limited to 5-8 connections. I have seen them switch from Highwinds to Readnews and I honestly don't see the difference. I've used Supernews, Newshosting, Newsdemon, Easynews, Ngroups.NET, Giganews and Astraweb at one time or another but 5 years ago I got a great deal from Ngroups.NET and stuck with it.

Today we are honestly spoiled for choice of great providers offering service for less than $10 a month. Supernews, Newsdemon, Newshosting, UsenetServer, Easynews, Ngroups.NET, Usenet.net and probably many others. There is seriously, no wrong choice. These are all major players running off huge redundant backbones and offering 20 or more connections with free SSL and over 1000 days retention. Just pick one and stick with it. If you don't like it, switch, its that easy. The only reason I ever switched was for a better price, I never found the actual service from any provider to be lacking. I would honestly recommend every service I have used, they are all awesome for the money. Supernews, Newsdemon, Ngroups, GIBInews, Newshosting, all of them, great.