SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

DocDrew to Chubbysumo

Premium Member

to Chubbysumo

Re: Borderline-illegal search hijacking is back.

said by Chubbysumo:

said by DocDrew:

Just use Charter's DNS and opt out of the redirects.

the opt out does not stay, and is cookie based, so if you clear your cookies on a regular basis, its pointless to opt out. just use different DNS servers, and the problem goes away.

Disabling the DNS redirects is not cookie based. It's based on modem MAC address. Go read their site: »search.charter.net/prefs.php

Cookies are used for some of the web based filtering options, such as "typo correction" and "adult filtering", if you leave the redirect service enabled.

Using non-ISP DNS servers often causes issues such as slow speeds and buffering with video and other sites using CDN services. Since the CDN servers have regional locations and often have direct links to ISP peering points, changing DNS servers frequently redirects requests to non-optimized CDN servers which may not be directly linked to your ISPs network.

TWC's DNS redirect worked the same way.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN

Chubbysumo

then why do I have to go and reset this every time I clear my cache and cookies? It says its modem MAC based, but every damn time I clear my cookies, I lose the settings and end up back at the charter/yahoo web search for bad addresses.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by Chubbysumo:

then why do I have to go and reset this every time I clear my cache and cookies? It says its modem MAC based, but every damn time I clear my cookies, I lose the settings and end up back at the charter/yahoo web search for bad addresses.

Don't know, but I don't have that problem and I clear all my cookies when I shut down my browser.

Although make sure after you opt-out to give it a few minutes (up a hour) for the settings to propagate through the ISPs servers, then reset your modem, release/renew your IP lease, and/or reset your router (since some don't properly clear old IP leases correctly).

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 edit

cork1958 to Chubbysumo

Premium Member

to Chubbysumo
said by technologiq:

As others have said, I would definitely consider moving AWAY from Charters DNS servers.

You can go with Google DNS or any other but I suggest running NameBench (»code.google.com/p/namebench/) or something similar to figure out which will get you the best performance.

Note that some of these providers also do hijacking but you can tell namebench not to bother with those.

I'd recommend making sure your internet connection is idle for the most part before running this test as it has yielded different results for me depending on my usage.

Almost exactly what I would suggest except I'd suggest NOT using Googles DNS just because it's Google and everybody thinks it's the greatest thing since the invention of the internet!

On ANY connection/ISP I've ever tested using »www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm Google hasn't been any where near the top in the results. For that matter, neither has OpenDNS and I don't use either!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects ··· amonkey/
said by Chubbysumo:

If you're using IE and have CrapCleaner, do you have CC set to clean cookies AND index .dat files?

If using Firefox or some other browser that has the option for cleaning Site Preferences, do you have that checked to do so? If so, uncheck that.

I'm fairly sure you know of those things though?
said by DocDrew:

said by Chubbysumo:

Don't know, but I don't have that problem and I clear all my cookies when I shut down my browser.

Although make sure after you opt-out to give it a few minutes (up a hour) for the settings to propagate through the ISPs servers, then reset your modem, release/renew your IP lease, and/or reset your router (since some don't properly clear old IP leases correctly).

Man! All that over cookies, huh?

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15 to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew
Thanks so much! Always new you could opt out back in the day but it was cookie based. I had no idea this pages even existed. I think Charter is keeping it on the down low or not telling customers about it? Since it gives them extra revenue?
said by DocDrew:

said by Chubbysumo:

said by DocDrew:

Just use Charter's DNS and opt out of the redirects.

the opt out does not stay, and is cookie based, so if you clear your cookies on a regular basis, its pointless to opt out. just use different DNS servers, and the problem goes away.

Disabling the DNS redirects is not cookie based. It's based on modem MAC address. Go read their site: »search.charter.net/prefs.php
[att=1]
Cookies are used for some of the web based filtering options, such as "typo correction" and "adult filtering", if you leave the redirect service enabled.

Using non-ISP DNS servers often causes issues such as slow speeds and buffering with video and other sites using CDN services. Since the CDN servers have regional locations and often have direct links to ISP peering points, changing DNS servers frequently redirects requests to non-optimized CDN servers which may not be directly linked to your ISPs network.

TWC's DNS redirect worked the same way.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

3 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by KoRnGtL15:

Thanks so much! Always new you could opt out back in the day but it was cookie based. I had no idea this pages even existed. I think Charter is keeping it on the down low or not telling customers about it? Since it gives them extra revenue?

Even back in the day it was modem MAC address based, not cookie based. It's the same Yahoo based system now as it was then. It's the same basic system also used by TWC and a few other ISPs.

The first time Charter did it, the config/opt-out address was at »wwww11.charter.net

That address was also on every redirect results page, just like the current config/opt-out address.

[edit] I know it's not cookie based because if I change the settings on my one computer; the Wii, Nooks, iPhone, Blackberry, XP laptop, Mac laptop, iMac, and other devices in the house I haven't set anything on stop getting the redirects. Also the non-browser based tools that don't do anything with cookies like ping, traceroute, dig, lft, mtr, and nslookup won't show signs of redirection.