Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

MBP Random Freezes after SSD Install

Well, I put in a OWC 240GB Mercury Electra 3G inside my MBP 17" 2010. I also have a 750GB standard drive where my super drive was. I did a fresh install of Lion 10.7.3.
I am getting random freezes where I end up holding down the power button to turn off. Once was when I was transferring data from an external drive. Once was when surfing the net.
Prior to the SSD I had Lion 10.7.2 on the standard Apple supplied drive. Everything was fine. So I don't know now if it is Lion 10.7.3 or the SSD.

Any ideas?
I all ready tried reseting PRAM/NVRAM and SMC.
I also sent out a support ticket to OWC.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Can you get to the console before it locks?

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

No, Mouse moves but I can't click anything.
I'm looking at some of the logs around the last time it hung.
Merak75

Merak75

MVM

I just noticed another issue. My mbp won't actually go to sleep. The screen turns off, the secondary hard drive spins down. I get a solid (sleep) light in front of the mbp, never the blinking light. I'll try to press a key to wake the screen but nothing happens.
After some googling I tried disabling safe sleep. It now goes to sleep (where I get the blinking light) and comes out after pressing a key. WTF is going on?

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to Merak75

Premium Member

to Merak75
Have you tried booting off of an external drive or the SuperDrive?

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

I have the original HD in an external case. I will try to boot off that now.
Merak75

Merak75 to BellBoy

MVM

to BellBoy
OK, sleep works just fine booting off my old HD (10.7.2).
So far I have not run into any freezes. I will use it for the rest of the night and see how it goes.
Merak75

Merak75

MVM

OK I have a feeling it might be the SSD. I tried to access through finder and got a beach ball for a minute and then a pop up saying the disk was ejected.
Disk Utility does not see it.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to Merak75

Premium Member

to Merak75
You didnt install trim enabler did you??

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

nope

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by Merak75:

nope

Oh ok, I had the same issues when I installed it..

scooby
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL

scooby to Merak75

Premium Member

to Merak75
10.7.3 is running fine on my mid 2009 15" MBP that I recently installed a Crucial 256G SSD into, so I would assume 10.7.3 is fine.

At work we went through three OWC SSD drives before we got one that has worked for more than a week. The SSD drives would work for 24-92 hours and then disappear from the system. They would stop showing up in DU.

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

I hope I don't have to go through three of them. I am really bumped that this turned into a weekend long event for me. I'll see what OWC has to say tomorrow.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I have probably the same Crucial SSD in a Laptop PC. Works great. If OWC cannot solve the problem (I had a problem with them myself), I would look into returning it and then looking at Crucial or Intel.

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

I booted up from the original drive this morning and DU saw my SSD. I then cloned my original to the SSD. So now my SSD is running 10.7.2. Rebooted from SSD.

So far the mbp is acting fine for sleep/wake. I will run it like this for today and test for freezes and wait for OWC tech support.
Merak75

Merak75

MVM

So, I'm getting a replacement in a few days.
I'm still running the cloned SSD (10.7.2) and no hiccups what so ever. I'm not sure now that it is the hard drive.
Maybe I made a bad install disk. I'll download Lion again and try a different usb flash drive to use as installation.
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

Try using LionDiskMaker to create the Lion Install USB Thumb drive.

I had problems, hit and miss, with using DU to create the Lion install thumb drive from the InstallESD.DMG file. Sometimes it worked and booted the computer correctly. Other times it would boot and then come up with an error about you need to reinstall (that is what I was trying to do).

With the program LionDiskMaker I've created two different USB thumb drives and both work first time, every time.

But as to your problem with the OWC SSD I personally would stay away from those as they are just Re-Branded SSDs. And for the fact they state you don't need and should not enable TRIM. Which as far as I read this is a function that should be enabled on ALL SSDs.
Otherwise why would Apple enable it automatically on their own Apple Branded SSDs.
Just sounds completely silly that OWC says you don't need it on their SSDs.

I've used both Intel 320 series and Kingston SSDNow V200 series drives and have not had any problems with either. And I ways Enable TRIM.

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

I created a couple different installers and get the same result (freezes/sleep issues).
I installed Snow Leopard early this morning. It is running fine. No problems what so ever. This is too weird.
Merak75

Merak75

MVM

OK, after 9 hours of working great, all the problems came back. I'm going to try the new drive they sent me. If it does not work I'll put everythingback the way it was and forget about this upgrade :-(

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-22
Atlanta
Apple AirPort Express (2012)
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
ARRIS SB6183

acadiel to Merak75

Premium Member

to Merak75
Have you tried swapping the drives? I had a lockup issue with an Intel 320 in the hard drive bay on my 2010 MBP (data drive was in the optical bay), and I swapped them to where the SSD was in the Optical bay, and it's been working great.

I did have to disable hibernate, but that's not a deal breaker...

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

I will try that if the replacement drive has same issues, thanks for the tip.

joncellini
join:2001-04-19
Beaverton, OR

joncellini to Merak75

to Merak75
I've been running a 6G Mercury from OWC in my 2011 MBP for about a week now - so far its been stable and speedy on 10.7.3.

Have you checked the firmware on yours?

Merak75
AKA "Vukodlak75"
MVM
Willoughby, OH

Merak75

MVM

I checked and I do have the latest firmware.
Thanks
Merak75

Merak75

MVM

Just put in my new drive. So far sleep is working great. I'll find out about the random freezes in the next couple days.
This drive has the same firmware as last one.
Merak75

1 recommendation

Merak75

MVM

I guess it was the drive. Everything is working great. This mbp is a speed demon.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium Member
join:2002-06-22
Atlanta
Apple AirPort Express (2012)
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)
ARRIS SB6183

acadiel

Premium Member

said by Merak75:

I guess it was the drive. Everything is working great. This mbp is a speed demon.

It's amazing what a SSD will do for performance...

I'm still waiting for the Intel 600GB 320's to drop down below $500... then I'll buy one for my desktop Mini

scooby
Premium Member
join:2001-05-01
Schaumburg, IL

scooby

Premium Member

said by acadiel:

It's amazing what a SSD will do for performance...

I'm still waiting for the Intel 600GB 320's to drop down below $500... then I'll buy one for my desktop Mini

Agreed. My personal mid 2009 MBP is getting old in the teeth compared to my new work core i7 MBP. Throwing the Crucial SSD in did wonders. I actually prefer my personal over my work for normal every day use.