Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[Praise] Good experience with Verizon Wireless

I went shopping in Enfield, Connecticut today and I went to make a call on my Verizon iPhone. I could not make a call at all despite having two or three bars so I was thinking of hunting down a pay phone (which are becoming more difficult to find because of non-use) to call Verizon Wireless and I had power cycled my phone. My mother had left her AT&T phone in the car and she was in Kohl's and I was in Best Buy (my most favorite store) and I used mother's AT&T phone to call VZW. After going through the automated system, it said call volumes are higher than usual so I assumed it was an outage but waited for a rep to confirm it. The rep walked me through the steps to reset the network defaults on my phone and told me to place a test call and my phone came back online. Now that is what I call good customer service. They did not try to play the blame customer equipment game or the trouble ticket game (which means they'll claim to look into the issue and nothing is done).

Kudos to Verizon Wireless for a job well done.
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

So they had you dial their *228 number, and it worked again. Not an uncommon occurrence, and a problem with how their network works.

IowaCowboy
Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by BlitzenZeus:

So they had you dial their *228 number, and it worked again. Not an uncommon occurrence, and a problem with how their network works.

What they actually had me do is go into the "Settings" app on the iPhone, then to general settings then reset and then "reset network settings". And the phone reset itself, and on Power up, placed a test call and it worked.
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

It went right over your head didn't it? They did blame your equipment first, and this performed the same function which fixed the problem.

»support.verizonwireless.com/faqs···ate.html

A large part of Verizon's coverage is not owned by them, but roaming providers, so when you went to a different area you might of had to do this. It's actually quite an annoyance that can cause missed calls.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

IowaCowboy
Want to go back to Iowa
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

What I mean by "blame customer equipment" is where they say "it's not our problem, you'll need to contact Apple" and then you contact Apple and they blame Verizon and they give you the run-around. Not that this is the case as I have had good experiences with Apple Support. On the rant side, Comcast is notorious for denying its their problem. And I once had a CSR at Comcast blame my computer for lost connectivity when the computer worked just fine connected to a cellular data card which verified that the issue was with Comcast and not the computer. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was so angry that I slammed the phone on the hook before a supervisor could come on.
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium

You didn't get past their basic troubleshooting steps.

Verizon is required to support, and even replace your phone when the problem is not physical/water damage not Apple, otherwise support all network issues with your phone even outside of a warranty period. This is common for all wireless carriers, and mandated by their contracts to sell their equipment as the majority of phone manufactures cannot provide direct support for carrier issues.

They will always try to rule out your phone is the problem before blaming their network, and even if there is a reported outage they will still try the troubleshooting steps on your phone. I've worked for a cellular provider.

Verizon wireless can't operate like Comcast, and you are trying to compare two completely different things.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
·Optimum Voice
·Vitelity VOIP
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

A large part of Verizon's coverage is not owned by them, but roaming providers, so when you went to a different area you might of had to do this.

This is true, still, I think that Verizon's coverage is probably the best of any major wireless provider.

Some comparisons:
»nordicgroup.us/ssub/roammap.htm

join:2011-05-03
reply to IowaCowboy

--
Cut your losses short and let your winners run.

NS4683

join:2000-08-25
South Amboy, NJ
reply to PX Eliezer7

said by PX Eliezer7:

This is true, still, I think that Verizon's coverage is probably the best of any major wireless provider.

Some comparisons:
»nordicgroup.us/ssub/roammap.htm

Those maps are horribly outdated.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to PX Eliezer7

Better than ATT coverage wise