uniqs
share rss forum feed

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Lansing, MI

Hostgator versus Liquid Web

I am looking to move to a VPS and wonder if any of you can tell me anything about your experience with either of these companies. I have used Host Gator for a number of years now and I am not unhappy with them. At issue is the fact that wish to be as little of an admin as possible and there are differences between the VPS offerings at these too companies beyond cost. I would hope to avoid relying on marketing babble.

In case it matters and it usually does, I am looking at Level 3 with Hostgator and the 1GB Smart Server with Liquidweb.

Any thoughts are appreciated, any shared experience is valued.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
Are you limiting yourself with just those two options? RapidVPS has been fantastic for us for the past 5 years or so. The specs for your level 3 VPS with host gator seem a little lean for the price I think.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium
Lansing, MI
The answer to that is rather simple. HG is familiar, LW is local.

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium
Lansing, MI
reply to tao
The specs are the specs, RapidVPS does not offer anything remarkably different. The main dif with HG and LW is bandwidth and disk space. My main question is being unclear on the managed aspect of each service. HG has peer support forums, LQ does not offer peer support, but does offer fully managed (partially hampered) service. HG offers a choice of Cpanel with Plesk optional and free for one year for server management. I don't know crap about Plesk, but am familiar with Cpanel.

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium
Lansing, MI
reply to tao
My effort here is driven by the fact that my reseller account is a shared server will no gzip, and page loads at 5.5 seconds according to loads.in. Google Pagespeed says I needs to use lossely images or gzip the png files. Going with .jpg files is a design nightmare at this point due to having to: 1. create an image background hex keyed to today's site color and mod hundreds of images and remod at each background color change. So to use transparent image backgrounds, .png files, I need gzip and that means a different hosting account.

johnner

@teksavvy.com
I have been using a storm server (see www.stormondemand.com) part of liquidweb with slightly different setup and their support is bar none the best i have ever had far superior to hostgator.

tao
Frazzlebats
Premium
Lansing, MI
Nice suggestion. When you ordered, was bandwidth included in the price? Doesn't look like it today. Looking at Knownhost.com at the moment.
Expand your moderator at work