Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to RR Conductor

Re: [Connectivity] Legacy IPv6 support

You are going to really like that router......That is also a very good price.
I use both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz bands for the iPad, laptop, Apple TV and wireless printer and can't slow it down.
It also has excellent range and runs very cool.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to RR Conductor
Just be careful. »www.networkworld.com/news/2011/0···ers.html

According to the review I linked below, aside from 8 MB of flash vs. 16 MB in the E4200, different antennas and firmware, the Netgear WNDR4000 and original Linksys E4200 are kissin' cousins.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Mike Wolf
Thanks for the feedback Wayne and Mike! Mike-It looks like there are still few bugs to be worked out with IPv6 in home networking products, but hopefully they'll get it all sorted out by the time Comcast goes IPv6 this summer. Wayne-I'm glad to hear it is fast and has great range, I always worry when changing equipment, but it sounds like the Netgear will easily match my Asus, and maybe even exceed it.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

3 edits
reply to Mike Wolf
For others looking for routers, I'd give some thought to the Linksys E4200v2 $199.99 ($149.99 refurbished on Cisco.com site), or any of the new EA line (various prices but less then the E4200v2) which are soon to be released. The Netgear WNDR3800 $129.99 which has support for TiVo Storage and time machine and more »www.netgear.com/home/products/wi···800.aspx and the WNDR4500 $179.99 which does 450Mbps/450Mbps symmetrically (which is good for the future when that speed becomes standard) and more »www.netgear.com/home/products/wi···500.aspx
And of course the Netgear WNDR4000 as RR Conductor mentioned.

Here is a review of the WNDR4500: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···reviewed

Here is a review of the E4200v2: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···reviewed

Here is a review of the WNDR3800: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···reviewed

Here is a review of the WNDR4000: »www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···reviewed

The EA line is still new to the market but here is some assessments I made »Re: [Wireless] Linksys EA4500 router?

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
Great info, thanks Mike! I looked at the E4200v2, but at 199 bucks it was just too much. The refurbed one on Cisco's site comes out to 160 with taxes and shipping, so still more than I wanted to pay.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

true. I was gonna give you a coupon for 20% off plus it has free shipping lol anyway no problem
did you check the reviews?

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Thanks for the offer anyway! I got the N750 all set up and running, should I enable IPv6 or leave it disabled for now? I don't think they're running it in our area yet. There are several settings under it-

Disabled
Auto Detect
6to4 Tunnel
Pass Through
Fixed
DHCP
PPPoE
Auto Config

I know PPPoE is for DSL, so we can throw that guy out.

Edit-This is interesting-

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 internet access.

I got that after running the tests at »test-ipv6.comcast.net/

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 recommendation

Well it would depend on two factors, if you want to use an IPv6 tunnel like I'm doiing, or if you don't and just want to wait for Comcast to get around to sending out the IPv6 data sometime late this year. I use Hurricane Electric »tunnelbroker.net/

Well we know that the usual internet connection type setting on routers for cable service is DHCP since the router is given an address from the modem. I'm not familiar with what the difference is between Auto Config and Auto Detect. I would try Auto Config, Auto Detect, Pass Through, and DHCP and see what results you get. Here is something I found on the Netgear site. »forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=60511

Yeah it's wierd, I'm seeing the same results when I do the tests as well. I feel like either someone told us why this was occurring but I don't remember what the answer was sorry.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

4 edits
Wow, lots of good info, thanks! I may do the HE Tunnel, I set up an account, now to create a tunnel.

»ipv6.he.net/certification/faq.php

How to create a 6in4 tunnel (also known as a configured tunnel):

1. Visit our tunnelbroker.net site and log in.
2. Once you log into the site, click "Create Regular Tunnel" and provide your IPv4 endpoint address and choose a preferable tunnel server location. (Note: Your IPv4 endpoint address should be displayed on the tunnel creation page)
3. After you successfully create a tunnel, visit your account's detail page and choose your OS type to get example configuration commands.
4. Use the commands to configure your machine. Please remember, you must have 'administrator' privilege to configure your machine.
5. Once you configure your machine, please browse sites like »ipv6.google.com or »kame.net to test your IPv6 connectivity.

*Two important notes:
1. Your IPv4 endpoint address must be reachable via ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol).
2. If you are using a NAT (Network Address Translation) appliance, please make sure it allows and forwards protocol 41.
What is Protocol 41?
Protocol 41 is one of the Internet Protocol numbers. Within the IPv4 header, the IPv4 Protocol field is set to 41 to indicate an encapsulated IPv6 packet.
**Useful references:
1. Video Tutorials: »ipv6.he.net/presentations.php
2. Tunnel Broker Forums: »tunnelbroker.net/forums/

It looks like waiting for Comcast might be the simplest way to get this going, though this is a great learning experience on tunneling and IPv6. A lot to digest, I think I'll leave it for tomorrow.

Edit-Since that is a 6to4 Tunnel, I would guess I select that in my router's IPv6 settings.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit
Click for full size
I just followed these instructions. »www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/inde···c=1850.0

Here is an excerpt from my own setup.

The client IPv4 address is the IP address I get from Comcast.
I set my router to 6RD manual.
I put into my router the Prefix which is 2001:470:1f07:46
the Prefix length which is 64
the Boarder Relay which is 209.51.161.14
and the IPv4 Address Mask Length which is 32

Some more reading for you. »www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/inde···c=1561.0
»forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63195

If you have any questions please let me know so I can help

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
Click for full size
Thanks mi amigo! I don't see any settings for "6RD manual", just the options I listed, any ideas? The only setting I can enter that data is under "Fixed", and even then it doesn't have places for boarder relay or mask length.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to Mike Wolf
There is a place to put in the relay under 6to4, but not mask length.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit
try 6to4 and not do the mask length and see if that works?
I wish I had money to go out and buy routers to play with themj that way I could be more profissiant. I haven't worked with Netgear routers for years, I found myself having an affinity for Cisco. I'm kinda suprised and a little upset that none of the new Linksys routers have the options you mentioned. All I have is IPv6 automatic, 6rd manual configuration, 6rd automatic cofiguration, and 6rd disabled.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

1 edit
Will I need to configure each machine to work, or just my main PC? I have several devices. If so, I will have to hold off until later today, or I'll have some mad people in the house when they go to try and access the web in the morning.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Ideally once you setup the router, the router is suppose to automatically configure all the other devices, just like how your devices get an IP address now with the DHCP server built into the router. Now keep in mind if your devices don't support IPv6, they won't be able to use it.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

1 edit
Well, I have three pc's, all running windows 7 SP1, a Laptop running Windows 7 SP 1, 2 Sony Bravia TV's, an Android Tablet (Acer A200 running ICS), an Android Smartphone (running Gingerbread 2.3.6), Sony PS3, Xbox 360 and an Epson nx430. By connection-

1.1 PC, 1 Xbox 360, 1 PS3, 1 Bravia TV-Ethernet
2.2 PC's, 1 Laptop, 1 Bravia TV, Android Smartphone, Android Tablet, Epson Printer-Wireless.

Edit-If they can't use IPv6, will they default to IPv4?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
Its my understanding that comcast will be doing dual stack thus 4 and 6 would both be active.

if the device is 4 only it'll still need port forwarding done on the router if it currently needs it.

But ipv6 devices shoudn't need port forwarding to achev needed communications.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to RR Conductor
If they can't handle IPv6, they'll still be recieving an IPv4 address from the router. I'm pretty sure the PS3, Xbox 360, the Bravia televisions, tablet and smartphone can't handle IPv6, I know my PS3 currently doesn't, and I'm not sure about the Epson printer depending on how old it is.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
for the gaming systems I'd guess its not so much can't as doesn't yet.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
mmm well i think a software upgrade to both gaming devices would solve that problem in my opinion.

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:80
reply to Mike Wolf
Here is the Comcast settings for 6to4 tunnel: »www.comcast6.net/6to4-config.php

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Excuse me?

NetDog
Premium,VIP
join:2002-03-04
Parker, CO
kudos:80
said by Mike Wolf:

Excuse me?

RR Conductor has 6to4 he can setup..

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
ah ok. i got confused without any context to your post. awesome information and thanks for spreading it

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to Mike Wolf
Thank you guys, lots of good info and help, I really appreciate it!

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to NetDog
said by NetDog:

Here is the Comcast settings for 6to4 tunnel: »www.comcast6.net/6to4-config.php

I followed those instructions, all I had to do was set IPv6 to 6to4, and leave everything else Auto and Auto Config. I went in and made sure IPv6 was enabled on Chrome and IE, and voila! I am IPv6ing

our IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be 67.180.41.0

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be 2002:43b4:2900:e472:10dc:145a:57ad:63df
Your IPv6 service appears to be: 6to4

The World IPv6 Launch day is June 6th, 2012. Good news! Your current browser, on this computer and at this location, are expected to keep working after the Launch. [more info]

Congratulations! You appear to have both IPv4 and IPv6 Internet working. If a publisher publishes to IPv6, your browser will connect using IPv6. Note: Your browser appears to prefer IPv4 over IPv6 when given the choice. This may in the future affect the accuracy of sites who guess at your location.

You appear to be using a public 6to4 gateway; your router may be providing this to you automatically. Such public gateways have no service level agreements; you may see performance problems using such. Better would be to get a native IPv6 address from your ISP. [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.
Your readiness scores
7/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
7/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only
Thanks again Mike and NetDog!

Edit-
When both protocols are available, your browser uses
IPv4
Your internet connection is IPv6 capable
2002:43b4:2900:e472:10dc:145a:57ad:63df
Comcast Cable Communications

Address type is
6to4
6to4 mapping to IPv4 address 67.180.xx.x
Your internet connection is IPv4 capable
c-67-180-41-0.hsd1.ca.comcast.net

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

I mean hell I've yet to find an HP network printer that supports gigabit ethernet.

I've worked on two so far that support gigabit. The first one was a Color LaserJet CP6015xh, the second was a DesignJet T2300. Both aren't exactly cheap though .
--
KI6RIT

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
said by n_w95482:

said by Mike Wolf:

I mean hell I've yet to find an HP network printer that supports gigabit ethernet.

I've worked on two so far that support gigabit. The first one was a Color LaserJet CP6015xh, the second was a DesignJet T2300. Both aren't exactly cheap though .

I'm running my Epson nx430 via wireless, no worries. To answer Mike's question, it was just released late last year, so I would guess it either has or will have IPv6 support.

D LaMonica

@comcast.net
reply to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

Edit-
When both protocols are available, your browser uses
IPv4
Your internet connection is IPv6 capable
2002:43b4:2900:e472:10dc:145a:57ad:63df

Address type is
6to4
6to4 mapping to IPv4 address 67.180.xx.x
Your internet connection is IPv4 capable
c-67-180-41-0.hsd1.ca.comcast.net

You see what is wierd is when I followed Mike's instructions, by using the tunnel I get:

The World IPv6 Launch day is June 6th, 2012. Good news! Your current browser, on this computer and at this location, are expected to keep working after the Launch. [more info]

Congratulations! You appear to have both IPv4 and IPv6 Internet working. If a publisher publishes to IPv6, your browser will connect using IPv6. Your browser prefers IPv6 over IPv4 when given the choice (this is the expected outcome).

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.

Your readiness scores

10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6

10/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

But I've noticed the same results on Vista except that it says my web browser will connect at IPv4 over IPv6 which is wierd. Both my Win 7 and Win Vista are currently using IE9.

What OS are you using?

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
I'm running Windows 7 SP1 on all 3 of my PC's and my Laptop.