All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
xQim
join:2003-09-20

xQim

IDSL

Why does unFairpoint not offer IDSL? Is the initial cost too much to implement this technology because they could extend their reach out to 35,000ft with 144Kbps/144Kbps speeds. That is slow, but still broadband, and I would rather have that than satellite, wireless, ISDN, Dual-Bonded Dial Up, or even dial up. They might actually be able to even supply their customers with that speed! Wow, that would be a miracle in itself.

Also, I know this has been mentioned I'm sure, but what was unFairpoint thinking (not thinking) when they purchased the lines off of Verizon? I won't go into depth but an example is my town. The highest tier unFairpoint offers is their 3Mbps/0.768Mbps @ $59.99 without a contract. Timewarner Roadrunner offers 15Mbps/1Mbps @ $69.95 a month without a contract.

Tried Both:
3Mbps/0.768Mbps
unFairpoint actual speeds @ 4500ft to CO = 400Kbps-1500Kbps/700Kbps

15Mbps/1Mbps
Timewarner Roadrunner Turbo actual speeds = 17000Kbps/980Kbps

Who are they competing with? I didn't even mention Comcast either as I've had Comcast before and that smashes unFairpoint's DSL tiers too.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

IDSL is just ISDN for data. That is why it is 144kbps, two 64kbps bearer channels plus the 16kbps control channel. IDSL uses the same signalling as ISDN. It is my understanding that it requires repeaters to cover that distances you mentioned. I assume the cost of repeaters makes the long distance version uncompetitive.

I think G4 communication used to offer ISDN. Just looked at their website and can't tell of it is still available. Try giving them a call. They are a true CLEC and rent copper for FairPoint but colo equipment at the various central offices.

/tom