how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

crockweit

join:2012-03-19
Wilsonville, OR

Netgear Product Number For Westell 7550

Frontier just installed a Netgear 7550. There wasn't a user manual with it. I can't find any product with the number 7550 in it on the Netgear site and I need that number in order to download the appropriate user manual. Any help appreciatted.

Thanks

jud87b

@frontiernet.net
netgear bought westell. try searching for westell 7500

jimcfs1

join:2008-03-19
Athens, WV
reply to crockweit
Click for full size
downloadNetgear_7550···uide.pdf 3,245,374 bytes
Netgear 7550 installer guide
Plain and simple... Frontier did NOT include an end user manual with the 7550. There is no idea whether one even exists. I cannot get any answers from management. My tech contacts in Rochester have no idea why either... but they agree this is a totally bad move. Apparently they have an idiot suit who is making bad decisions about what users need.

Now, I did obtain a copy of their "installers" manual, and it is attached. I doubt it will help you, but it's the only doc that seems to exist.

rpelzer9

join:2005-02-08
Eastpointe, MI
When I tried to download the manual, it stopped at 855 k or 3.1mb and said the pdf was corrupt and could not be repaired.
Whoops... sorry... it completed on a 5th try.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

1 edit
The PDF loads up just fine here. Try loading it again. If not, I've got a copy of it I can upload elsewhere for you if you really want it. It's nothing more than an installer's manual though, so it's not really a user's guide. Essentially, setting up Static IP, setting up service, what-if's should things not work correctly, and configuring Wireless. Not a whole lot else from what I see in a quick skim.

rpelzer9

join:2005-02-08
Eastpointe, MI
Yes, I see that - bummer.... I also see there's a link on the first page for dynamic setups, but that frontiercorp.com link doesn't appear to work for the outside world.

mkrasz

join:2000-03-06
Rochester, NY
reply to jimcfs1
Son of a gun. I wrote that guide.
We requested a full 7550 user guide from Netgear some time ago. Still waiting on it.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
mkrasz - That is interesting that you are the one who wrote the installers guide. I spent several years running a laboratory where we tested new equipment coming into our organization. We required all vendors to provide complete and thorough documentation otherwise their equipment would not be accepted by our organization. I find it interesting that Frontier accepts equipment and fields it without having all the pertinent documentation. Surely Frontier received some documentation for this equipment that they do not want to release to their customers.

jimcfs1

Athens, WV
reply to mkrasz
mkrasz... Since you are the resident Frontier "expert" on this POS...

Having some issues with the 7550 which are keeping me from deploying it (sticking with the trusty 5930 because of it). Perhaps you can help, as others I've spoke to at tech support have no clue.

I have biz class, static IP. When I hook in the 7550, I cannot resolve anything in house with using IP only. For example, when I try to do »www.localdomain.com it does not resolve. I cannot check email inhouse because of this also as Eudora can't find the mail server. Any idea what the problem is? I should not have to run in-house DNS just to resolve things in-house. Have never had a problem with any other Frontier modem like this.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
reply to crockweit
If someone wishes to ship a Netgear 7550 from Frontier to me or ask a local tech from my CO to drop one off, I can write up a guide and create the FAQ for the 7500 and 7550 in one shot. I'll also set it up in such a place to really take the firmware for a run for it's money as far as stability goes (Think a possibility of >70 devices connected to it at once).

mkrasz

Rochester, NY
reply to jimcfs1
Jim - Did I read correctly you can not resolve domain names to IPs? When installed for a static service (LAN block of public address/s) the 7550 doesn't have a DHCP server on the Public LAN (the 5930 did). in-house devices will require manual assignment of IPs and a DNS address. The manually assigned DNS address can be the 7550's Public LAN interface address to use Frontier's DNS, or just another DNS address.

If you wish the 7550 to behave more like the 5930 (hand out the public and DNS addresses), the DHCP server can be enabled on the 7550's Public LAN. This will remove the DHCP server from the Private LAN (192.168.254.0/24).

Or did I miss the point of your post?

mkrasz

Rochester, NY

1 edit
reply to Hank
said by Hank:

Surely Frontier received some documentation for this equipment that they do not want to release to their customers.

To my knowledge there is no such document being tucked away.

jimcfs1

Athens, WV
reply to mkrasz
said by mkrasz:

Jim - Did I read correctly you can not resolve domain names to IPs? When installed for a static service (LAN block of public address/s) the 7550 doesn't have a DHCP server on the Public LAN (the 5930 did). in-house devices will require manual assignment of IPs and a DNS address. The manually assigned DNS address can be the 7550's Public LAN interface address to use Frontier's DNS, or just another DNS address.

If you wish the 7550 to behave more like the 5930 (hand out the public and DNS addresses), the DHCP server can be enabled on the 7550's Public LAN. This will remove the DHCP server from the Private LAN (192.168.254.0/24).

Or did I miss the point of your post?

I don't know if you missed it or I didn't explain it well.

I can hit any domain that is not hosted inside the 7550's LAN... i.e. www.frontier.com and www.google.com resolve just fine. Frontier's new (sucky and slow) DNS servers were put in as DNS. However, any of the domains hosted on boxes inside the 7550's LAN do not resolve within the LAN by name. (remember, I have a static IP). They resolve fine on their in-house 192.168.200.x IP's, but when I try to use their domains, they can't be found. It doesn't matter if I'm doing it on my laptop behind the other wireless router or if I'm doing it off one of the servers connected directly to the 7550. Port forwarding is configured and appears to be working fine... email gets sent to the mail server, outside world requests hit the right box with the right domains. Does that make better sense?

BTW, the new 74.40.74.40 and 41 DNS servers really suck. I ended up putting google's DNS server as my primary DNS on the wireless router I have as it resolves faster than the Frontier ones and has as good if not better ping times while being more reliable than those new servers. Is Frontier trying to consolidate DNS instead of having many local ones? IMHO, that is a mistake as it takes more hops (thus more time) to resolve DNS hits.

mkrasz

Rochester, NY
Jim - The DNS server on the 7500/7550 appears to be linked to the private LAN only. The device names are learned by the network scanning that is enabled by default on the private LAN. If it can be made to work on the public LAN, I don't know it.

Perhaps disabling the private lan and adding a DNS entry for the 7550's public LAN interface could trigger the LAN scanning on the public LAN to add machine names automatically (long shot). Or you may be able to manually "Add DNS Entry" the public LAN machine names in the 7550's DNS server settings (Advanced>DNS Server).

jimcfs1

Athens, WV
I will give this a look when I can make time to swap routers and play.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to mkrasz
said by mkrasz:

Jim - The DNS server on the 7500/7550 appears to be linked to the private LAN only

The dhcp server can be configured to allocate private or public ip addresses
said by mkrasz:

However, any of the domains hosted on boxes inside the 7550's LAN do not resolve within the LAN by name

This is very normal for most routers