BAINCH
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2003-04-02
Blooming Grove, NY
kudos:11

1 edit

2 recommendations

Changes for Mediacom Online

I wanted to highlight a number of changes we are making around the Mediacom Online family of products. It is our hope that these changes will improve the experience our customers have with Mediacom.

1. Effective immediately we have adjusted our provisioned tiers of service to exceed the "advertised" performance. While there are still a number of factors that can impact overall performance, any enforced caps on the modems will exceed the advertised speed.

2. We've enable SpeedBoost to all tiers of service except Mediacom Access.

3. All tiers of service will allow bonding on multiple channels if a) available in the market and b) the customer is using a supported DOCSIS 3.0 compliant modem.

4. All DOCSIS 2.0 modems will now be "directed" to less-congested channels in markets with multiple channels (75% of Mediacom and growing.) This load-balancing is automatic and adjusts as load may change on each channel.

It should be noted that not all changes will be available in all markets immediately. For at least 75% of our customers all the changes have already been made however (although may require a cablemodem reboot to enable.)

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11

excellent news!

ltsnow
Premium
join:2006-04-08
Valdosta, GA
kudos:1
reply to BAINCH

Thanks Bainch. It's exceeding my expectations here. Love it.

caseywor

join:2004-04-19
Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Charter
·Mediacom
reply to BAINCH

Thanks BAINCH!!! I just got connected in early February, and was really nervous about leaving U-Verse for Mediacom. So far, I have been glad I did, the service has been really good so far, the internet especially blows AT&T U-verse away, lower latency and higher speeds.

IowaMan
Premium
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to BAINCH

Looks great here

Lazy Senior

join:2012-01-10
Cobden, IL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to BAINCH

said by BAINCH:

products. It is our hope that these changes will improve the experience our customers have with Mediacom.

1. Effective immediately we have adjusted our provisioned tiers of service to exceed the "advertised" performance.

2. We've enable SpeedBoost to all tiers of service except Mediacom Access.

Can it be true? Mediacom treating customers like they actually want them to be satisfied. Amazzing.

I am a very unhappy past customer who after 6 years decided to try Mediacom once again, against my better sense. I have to say that so far the experience has been much much better. Speeds exceeding what I expected and so far - reliable. Kudos to employees like MediacomChad and others who make the Mediacom experience worth the $$$.

Now could someone tell me what Speedboost is and should I care?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:103

Lazy Senior, thank you for the kind words. We boosted the speeds among all internet service levels for 75% of our customers so far. You should see an increase in speed over the advertised speeds for each level.

caseywor

Orlando, FL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Charter
·Mediacom

Hi Chad, or others who may want to answer...Although Mediacom is going to be using load balancing for DOCSIS 2.0 modems like the Motorola SB5100 I have now, would there be a significant benefit for me to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem since "All tiers of service will allow bonding on multiple channels?" I know it probably won't affect my speed overall based on my service tier, 15Mbps, but will it possibly help diminish the chance of peak usage slowdowns?

Just curious, still learning all I can about DOCSIS.

Thanks!

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

It may but we cannot guarantee it will for service levels 20 mb/s under. Docsis 2.0 should suffice.

caseywor

Orlando, FL

Gotcha.....Thanks for your advice! I am happy stay with a 2.0 and not spend on a new one.

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

You're very welcome

jpatton

join:2010-04-07
Stillwater, OK
reply to BAINCH

Thanks for the news BAINCH See Profile! Curious if the D2 channel switching/load balancing can and will happen automatically without requiring modem reboots? Also, is there any way to tell which features are already implemented in our market?

BAINCH
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2003-04-02
Blooming Grove, NY
kudos:11

1 edit

The D2 Channel switching/load balancing WILL happen automatically and does NOT require modem reboots.

As for the checking on availability of multiple channels that is easiest to see on any D3 modem diagnostic page (which will usually show all bonded channels.) I would assume the D2 diagnostic page would show the current channel frequency and if checked regularly would probably show different channel frequencies from time to time as the load-balancing occurs. I haven't tested that theory however.

CappinHoff

join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom

1 edit
reply to Lazy Senior

said by Lazy Senior See Profile

Now could someone tell me what Speedboost is and should I care?

:

Think of it like a nitrous boost for loading pages, streaming and what not. I'm on the 12/1 package and normally test at 27/2. It's not a sustained boost but a short "to get you going" boost. It's worth it.

bulletsam

join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL
reply to BAINCH

Thank you very much!

Pacoboyd

join:2006-04-10
Dubuque, IA
reply to BAINCH

This is great news! The main thing that I see being able to benefit from now is re-enabling load balancing at my home network level now. Before speeds were so inconsistent that I could not reliably set my load balance caps at my advertised speed and get the performance I expected. Maybe now with more consistent speeds, I can set my internal caps at advertised speed. Thanks again!

caseywor

Orlando, FL
reply to CappinHoff

I like that comparison....Cool way to describe it.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to BAINCH

My contract with Qwest/CenturyLink expires in about 10 days. Looks like I should give Mediacom another try!

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

We would love to have your business. If you wanted to IM me your current phone number I will have a representative give you a call to go over current offers.

Bierboy

join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to BAINCH

Here's what I'm getting now with Max (at an, admittedly, busy time of the day)...

MediacomChad
Premium,VIP
Gulf Breeze, FL

Good looking result!

Bierboy

join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL

I'm a happy camper...of course, I'm paying for it

The Beer
I Love It When A Plan Comes Together
Premium
join:2001-07-24
Atlantic, IA
reply to BAINCH

This would be TOTALLY awesome, I have a DOCSIS 3 modem but it's not multi-bonded... I live in a DOCSIS 3 area I think but this is what I can muster out... 12/1 service

dbqd

@mchsi.com
reply to BAINCH

This is in Dubuque with the 12/1 plan I've always had. Pretty awesome I must say!

Samnang

join:2002-12-07
Columbia, MO
reply to BAINCH

This is so cool. I am using a DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem and it's doing great. So happy.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to BAINCH

Iowa City with all the college students back this week from spring break. My 12/1 account on a Motorola SB5101U

TJFriday

join:2009-06-29
Des Moines, IA
reply to BAINCH

This is great news and makes me happy to continue to be a Mediacom customer!

Soooo... When is 105/10 going to be available in the Des Moines area for Residential Customers? I'm looking forward to it!

Boss302_1970

join:2009-12-11

wonder if there will be a promo for that as well

caseywor

Orlando, FL
reply to BAINCH

It is going well tonight, latency a little higher than other times however:

»www.speedtest.net/result/1848414264.png

skidooy

join:2009-12-15
Iowa City, IA
reply to BAINCH

Not so great here in Iowa City for 12/1...