uniqs
share rss forum feed

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
reply to Davesnothere

Re: START has a Discussion Forum at DSLR !

Forcing small ISPs to go hide in some obscure unlisted forums is a sure fire way to kill off discussions and prevent them from becoming better known.

My feeling is that unless DSLR is willing to fess up and give those ISPs a real forum, then discussions should continue here.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

This is better access than what we had last year.

So are you including eBox in that observation ?

THEIR forum is starting to pick up speed.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

Forcing small ISPs to go hide in some obscure unlisted forums is a sure fire way to kill off discussions and prevent them from becoming better known.

My feeling is that unless DSLR is willing to fess up and give those ISPs a real forum, then discussions should continue here.

+1 Agrees.
Though I wonder what criteria has to be met to qualify for their own support forum on DSLR.
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.

Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1, Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1, Dupont POI, eXtreme Cable Pr0 28/1:4/4 Unlimited.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

I have to agree completely. The Canadian Broadband forum is the third most popular board on this site. 471 frequent posters and 2,941 members have marked it as a favorite forum. That's a lot of exposure. If I were a smaller (or relatively new or unheard of ISP) this is where I'd want my topics to be.

(Not implying that START is small, just a general statement).

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by state:

said by jfmezei:

I have to agree completely. The Canadian Broadband forum is the third most popular board on this site. 471 frequent posters and 2,941 members have marked it as a favorite forum. That's a lot of exposure. If I were a smaller (or relatively new or unheard of ISP) this is where I'd want my topics to be.

(Not implying that START is small, just a general statement).

Why now to give the forums here an overhaul as well? I feel that it is much needed here... It can be really hard to work with sometimes.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
Purgatory

said by geokilla:

Why now to give the forums here an overhaul as well? I feel that it is much needed here... It can be really hard to work with sometimes.

Could you maybe articulate that a bit? I'm not clear on what you're asking.

geokilla

join:2010-10-04
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by state:

Could you maybe articulate that a bit? I'm not clear on what you're asking.

Quoted the wrong post on my Playbook.

Anyways it was said that there's a board software issue, which causes new ISPs such as Electronic Box and Start to not show up under Canadian. Why not switch to another board entirely, such as VBulletin or phpBB? Out of all the forums I visit, I hate to say it but I hate this forum the most. The layout, posting links, Youtube videos, etc. just feels so hard to work with sometimes compared to other forums.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC

There is no point in discussing this. DSLR owners do as they wish with their BBS system. If they feel that some ISPs should be shoved into some obscure forums that don't appear on the list of canadian ISPs, there is nothing we can do about it.

I feel sad for those ISPs condemned to those obscure forums, having been guilty of getting their 15 seconds of fame on Can Broadband when they announced new packages. This happened before one could even conclude that these small ISPs would generate a constant and overwhelming flow of messages on Can Broadband (has had been the case with that ISP I can't name)

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON

said by jfmezei:

There is no point in discussing this. DSLR owners do as they wish with their BBS system. If they feel that some ISPs should be shoved into some obscure forums that don't appear on the list of canadian ISPs, there is nothing we can do about it.

/me shudders at the spectre of forums like digitalhome with assine policies.

But the fact is true, forum owner(s) will do as they please with their boards. And it really shouldn't be a huge obstacle, because anyone who wants to can go off and host their own forum on their own server eh? Plenty of product vendors host forums for their customer support issues.

--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.

Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1, Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1, Dupont POI, eXtreme Cable Pr0 28/1:4/4 Unlimited.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
Purgatory
reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

I feel sad for those ISPs condemned to those obscure forums, having been guilty of getting their 15 seconds of fame on Can Broadband when they announced new packages. This happened before one could even conclude that these small ISPs would generate a constant and overwhelming flow of messages on Can Broadband (has had been the case with that ISP I can't name)

Sigh.

Who's condemning them to the cover forums? In this case, the members in this forum are by advocating that everyone post over there instead of here.

I think there's a general lack of understanding on how the ad-hoc forums work, so let me try to clear it up. The ad-hoc/cover forums aren't created because there's a need, or because someone asked for them, or because "we" (DSLR) want to limit providers to those forums. They're created automatically when a new member review is published for a company. It's an optional place to contain the discussions related to the provider.

If that "ISP I can't name" chooses to contain themselves in their cover forum, then it's their choice. We never told them to stop posting in CanBB.

History

@videotron.ca
reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

Actually I found it pretty stupid that they (both Ebox owner and users) spammed everyone who posted here to instead post in the other cover forum. I always found that it brings less exposure and less people will be aware of them. After-all, not everyone hangs out here daily to know what's going on.

The people who spammed the Ebox threads here... well... Dumb.

But each to their own, I guess.

In regards to the "ISP you can not name" and in regards to what The furry blue guy said. I don't think the furry blue guy knows you were threatened by one of teksavvy's lawyers (if this was true) to keep your mouth shut and not participate in CRTC filings. Thus you never uttered their name again. So that is a bit of history for those who don't know, like the bug fuzzy blue guy.

So having explained this, one has to also realized the volume of posts teksavvy had. You are well aware of this and you are starting sh*t here for nothing by playing dumb and even thinking they should have a full forum.

TSI had their own cover forum, just like Ebox. However TSI's cover forum was actually used. Not just a tiny few posts. It was full.

In addition to the cover forum being full of posts daily, this forum was also filled daily with TSI posts.

So we had two forum completely over-run with TSI posts and any other ISP in this forum was drowned out (except when Rocky would threaten JP of Ebox, that was fun).

Then the mod's locked all the TSI topics and moved all topics to the newly created TSI forum. All we seen was locked topic after locked topic. IT WAS A LOT. Not a piddly 4 posts or so.

So JF, I was around for that as were you. Yet you seem to equate the piddly 4 posts the the dozens and dozens as justification for your remark.

So to quote you:
said by jfmezei:

This happened before one could even conclude that these small ISPs would generate a constant and overwhelming flow of messages on Can Broadband (has had been the case with that ISP I can't name)

It's not often I will call you out as fulla chit, but this happens to the case right here and right now. AND you know this.

However, if you want to state that most of the posts and reviews for "the ISP whom you cannot name" was BS and the owners asked people to create these posts and reviews in the forums to generate hype, that I will agree with since I was once of them asked.

Why not play fire with fire instead of making up things that weren't actually true? I mean come on, Even JP and Paul knew this was happening. Paul was in on the spam game as well.

Ths is the DSLr history, these were the fights by the 3 owners of certain ISP's going on in this very forum. And this is how it went down. You know all this, yet you chose to pretend it isn't so.

So now maybe people have a better understanding of what you were saying as well.

History

@videotron.ca
reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

See here you are again playing the game as was stated in my post above.

No where has anyone stated they need to be in their own cover forum.

The only people "forcing" this is A) the owner of the ISP if they choose not to post here and instead post in a cover forum B) Customers (and even non-customers) spamming topics created here telling people to post to the cover forum instead.

No one else is "forcing" anything, as you put it.

History

@videotron.ca
reply to state

said by state:

Sigh.

What he is getting at is that Ebox should have their own forum just like TSI because they have 4 or so topics and not a lot of exposure.

He's playing a game here.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to state

said by state:

If that "ISP I can't name" chooses to contain themselves in their cover forum, then it's their choice. We never told them to stop posting in CanBB.

Quick question for you... assuming I was an ISP, could I request my own "non-cover forum" irrespective of the volume I was generating?
--
I'm watching District 9 again, and I've come to realize something: Wikus's got it all wrong. If I were morphing into a 9 foot tall hyper-dextrous alien that can shoot lightning bolts and get high off cat food why would I ever want to become human again?

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC

"History" you misred understood what I meant.

That ISP I cannot name had the volume of messages that was not only high, but also constant in Can Broadband to justify creation of its own formal forum.

Neither Ebox nor Start have this. They had a small spike of messages that was not sustained and nowhere near the level of activity that TSI generated on Can Broadband.

By moving the small ISPs to the hidden forums, it will prevent them from growing to a point where DSLR will judge they are big enough to warrant having their own "real" forums.

The solution is either to "unhide" those forums by listing them in the Cananadian page and/or at the top of Can Broadband, or leave discussions in Can Broadband until these ISPs demonstrate they have such high volume of discussions that they warrant their own real forum.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
Toronto, ON

Like I said earlier... If you're providing a product and you also want to provide customer forum support in relation to said product, one can always set up a server and install your own forum software, and place your own authorized staff to work on it. Its no really huge biggie.

History

@videotron.ca
reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

"History" you misred understood what I meant.

If I misunderstood, or read it the wrong way then I offer my apology.

But...

said by jfmezei:

Fess up to what?

said by jfmezei:

Who is shoving who where?

said by jfmezei:

I feel sad for those ISPs condemned to those obscure forums

Who condemned them exactly? Could it be some kid behind a kybd telling people not to post here and the sheeple actually listen?

said by jfmezei:

By moving the small ISPs to the hidden forums

Come on, JF, no one was moved anywhere. Nor was anyone put in a hidden forum. Even when the "A to Z index" existed, and was easier to use and find on DSLr, they were there and made one post a year.

Nothing moved. No one hid anything. No one shoved anything anywhere. There is nothing to fess up to. No one was condemned.

The choice is made by either the Ebox owner or even the Start owner as to what they want to do and how they do it. Not some kid in front of a kybd.

I don't think I misunderstood you. You know all this. Or i really need more coffee because I really don't grasp what you are saying.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
Purgatory
reply to El Quintron

said by El Quintron:

Quick question for you... assuming I was an ISP, could I request my own "non-cover forum" irrespective of the volume I was generating?

The simplest answer is no, it doesn't really work like that.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by state:

said by El Quintron:

The simplest answer is no, it doesn't really work like that.

At which point I'm going to have to nag you to find out exactly how it works, because although you tried to explain it earlier I didn't quite get it.

Specifically what makes a "listed" forum for an ISP?
--
I'm watching District 9 again, and I've come to realize something: Wikus's got it all wrong. If I were morphing into a 9 foot tall hyper-dextrous alien that can shoot lightning bolts and get high off cat food why would I ever want to become human again?