dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

dogma to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor

Re: [poll] where will Peyton Manning play next season?

Just what about Denver would be more attractive than S.F.?

People wonder why Manning didn't choose the 49ers-a team that possesses the most amount of talent among the three suitors and were an overtime session away from playing in the Super Bowl. One would think that Manning would take the 49ers over the edge and put them in a similar or better position than the one Alex Smith put the team in last season. There had to be something that turned Manning in the other direction.

What would that be? John Elway's sweet talk?

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by dogma:

a) possibly more 'freedom' in Denver
b) no Manning-bowl unless in SB
Maybe he'll talk about it some day

Spork35
join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA

Spork35 to dogma

to dogma
said by dogma:

Peyton doesn't want to play in the NFC. I'm sure if that was his only option he would but with Denver in there it negated all NFC options.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

How come if Tebow was that good there are no takers for him? Most teams would have to blow up their system to fit Tebow. Denver did it last year, but if you look at their games, its stressful for the defence. Denver could only win if the game was close. High scoring teams like NE, Saints, GBP, Detroit, Atlanta, Eagles would make mincemeat out of them.
Miami & Jacksonville would be a good fit for Tebow. They need to spice up the gate and he's very popular in Florida. He's more of a Carnival act than a NFL type player. Sure he took Denver to the play offs and beat an injury ridden Steelers team. I like the guy but not on my team.
A good fit would be NE Patriots. There you have Satan (Bellichick) & God (Tebow) on the same team. Maybe Tebow could be a positive influence on Bellichick and the Coach could teach him to throw. Then if Brady has a lousy few games the New Englanders would not scream for Tebow.

Spork35
join:2011-07-13
Methuen, MA

Spork35

said by capdjq:

How come if Tebow was that good there are no takers for him?

I'm no Tebow fan and actually dislike him but there were 5 teams who called about him within 24 hours of hearing about Peyton.

»www.nfl.com/news/story/0 ··· vailable

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

Is Thomas who is not a great route runner a great fit for Manning? It looked like in the past he did well with receivers with great speed and IQ. Thomas seems to be more of just a beast. Decker may do well esp. for fantasy. Not much left in the FA pool for receivers unless they are going to give up a lot for Mike Wallace.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Spork35

to Spork35
said by Spork35:

said by capdjq:

How come if Tebow was that good there are no takers for him?

I'm no Tebow fan and actually dislike him but there were 5 teams who called about him within 24 hours of hearing about Peyton.

»www.nfl.com/news/story/0 ··· vailable

I don't have the link any more, but I read an analysis last night saying that the Jaguars would be the perfect team for Tebow for several reasons, with one of them being that he should boost their lagging ticket sales. It all depends on the price because Denver will not just release Tebow.
quote:
“Tim Tebow is a great kid. If I want someone to marry my daughter, it would be him,” Elway said. [ ] “But I think with the opportunity to have Peyton Manning’s services, we had to take advantage of that. Now that it’s happened, we have to go back and address Tim and see what the best situation is for the Denver Broncos as well as him.”

Although disappointed at Manning’s decision to come to Denver, Tebow took the news in stride during a phone conversation with Elway.

“He’s said, `Well, we’re talking about Peyton Manning. I understand exactly what you’re doing,”’ Elway explained. “He was very, very positive.”

The next step in the process may be finding a trade partner, but the Broncos are in no hurry to do so. As for an outright release, well, the Broncos said no way.

“He’s a first-round pick,” Broncos general manager Brian Xanders said. “He’s just won the division, we were 1-4 at the time, he’s got a guaranteed contract. I can’t see that.”

Tebow’s base salaries for the next few seasons are very cap friendly: $1.942 million in 2012, $2.266 million in 2013 and $2.590 million in 2014.
Given that he is not a pricey player, I think there's a non-zero possibility that Denver might just end up keeping him around for a little while if they don't get a reasonable offer for him. I think we can assume that Peyton will be healthy, but he could be just a hit away from forced retirement, so Denver want to make sure to have a capable backup.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by aurgathor:

I don't have the link any more, but I read an analysis last night saying that the Jaguars would be the perfect team for Tebow for several reasons, with one of them being that he should boost their lagging ticket sales.

Since Im the expert now on where Peyton ended up , Im also leaning 75% that Teebow will be traded to Jacksonville for numerous reasons.

aurgathor
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to dogma

to dogma
said by dogma:

People wonder why Manning didn't choose the 49ers-a team that possesses the most amount of talent among the three suitors and were an overtime session away from playing in the Super Bowl. One would think that Manning would take the 49ers over the edge and put them in a similar or better position than the one Alex Smith put the team in last season. There had to be something that turned Manning in the other direction.

What would that be? John Elway's sweet talk?

If you haven't seen it yet, this describes what made Denver more attractive than SF.