spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

finz883

@covad.net

[Line Problem] earthlink myvoice call waiting is flawed

With MyVoice, if I enable the call waiting feature, and then choose to ignore a caller when they beep in, I get Disconnected from my original caller. This is a big problem. (I just tried connecting with EL support, and got nowhere so I thought I'd write in case someone else out there has figured out the magic solution...)

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

FSWE

join:2002-02-13
reply to finz883

There are two EarthLink voice products, neither of which are called myvoice:

EarthLink TrueVoice, which is a standard VoIP service where you use your current broadband connection and then lay dial tone over it via a separate box (known as an ATA, the model should be a Sipura 2100).

Then there is DSL and Home Phone Service, which is a product that EarthLink gets from Covad (now Megapath). This service is where your copper lines carry both a DSL and dial tone signal to your home. You use a regular phone, there is no ATA, etc.

Myvoice is a website that EarthLink uses so their voice customers can look at their call history, features, etc. and it is not a voice service, per se. Just a website.

And now to the main point: I believe that you have DSL and Home Phone Service. I have heard customers complain of this call waiting issue before. Covad/Megapath needs to basically reset your SIP profile, and I have seen this resolve this issue for all customers.

Call in and ask that this be done. Agents don't come across it very often, so unfortunately sometimes they don't recognize it. Let me know if you get it fixed, I'll see if I can help guide you a little.....

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

2 edits

said by FSWE:

There are two EarthLink voice products, neither of which are called myvoice:

That's partially correct, but not about the myvoice feature. Earthlink myvoice is part of the DSL & Home Phone Service Bundle. It is not a separate package and no-one claimed that it was a standalone or separate product, but it is an integrated part of their DSL & Home Phone Service Bundle.

»www.earthlink.net/access/voice.faces
# Includes 11 popular calling features
(a $40 value) see all

said by FSWE:

Then there is DSL and Home Phone Service, which is a product that EarthLink gets from Covad (now Megapath). This service is where your copper lines carry both a DSL and dial tone signal to your home. You use a regular phone, there is no ATA, etc.

Earthlink DSL & Home Phone Service is VoIP using a ATA, however the ATA is not in the customer's premise, it is remote located in the DSLAM so that the customer sees dial tone on their line and doesn't have to install or configure a ATA.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

FSWE

join:2002-02-13
reply to finz883

D.O.:

Didn't mean to create confusion there, sorry - I thought the customer was calling their actual voice service "myvoice". You're correct in that myvoice is a "feature" (for lack of a better term) - it really is just a website that customers go to who have one of the EarthLink voice products - either EarthLink TrueVoice or EarthLink DSL and Home Phone Service. The myvoice website shows their current features, call history, etc.

Also - I know we're all about full disclosure here on DSLR, but I think you know what I meant when I said that there is no ATA "at the home". I don't think any customer cares that the ATA is actually the DSLAM. It's just an easy way to differentiate between ETV (ATA at home) and DSL+HP (no ATA at home).

Anyway, my point is still valid. This call waiting issue can be fixed by having Covad change their SIP profile in their network. I haven't encountered any customer that this didn't resolve.