[ONT]College Point 11356: indoor ONT install Tri.Play photos

Click for full size
Fios install tech on the ladder at the next pole making the fiber connection
Click for full size
Fios van in our driveway near the service panel area w various coaxial runs
Click for full size
Thin, black fiber cable with preinstalled connectors
Click for full size
Couldn't use the existing hole so quickly drilled one next to it to fish the Fios run into the basement
Click for full size
The messy surface panel area & plywood board
Click for full size
ONT on the board & getting wired up
Click for full size
Power supply & connections to the BBU
Click for full size
Indoor ONT installed & working, extra fiber coiled in the rear compartment
Click for full size
Alcatel-Lucent 1-211M-H (Feb. 2012) GPON Gigabit ONT indoor
We finally got Fios installed at our 2 story house (within NYC) this Monday, after a 3+ years wait as there had been limited & selective availability within our zip code. Neighbors one block north had been live for a year+ before we saw Fios trucks & vans on our block running fiber, etc. Copper DSL just wasn't cutting it so we switched to TWC 17 months ago without contract, got our 12 mo. promo pricing & negotiated the "deal" to stay as prices continue to climb. Online ordering to actual install time took about 3 weeks in our case - we are very pleased with the overall results. Here's a quick recap of our order, the hardware & work involved, and sampling of our end results.

This is based on VZ's Triple Play, special promo price of $84.99/mo x 24 months based on auto-pay for Prime HD, 25/25 and digital phone with a new local number chosen (no porting.)

Typical install for 2 neighbors on our block already served by Fios is an outdoor ONT on the side of the house/driveway via aerial drop - send a note to install tech. requesting indoor ONT if possible, apparently msg. wasn't passed along or read. He called 15 minutes to 9 AM to reconfirm that he will be arriving shortly, and he was parking across the street as I went outside to greet him. Quick discussion of the intall, special request & survey of the basement/interior & driveway, after asking my particular reasons for asking to install ONT indoor. I explained that as my preference as all the existing coaxial, wiring & power outlet are already inside near the service entry & involved fewer drilling, etc. He agreed and said he will need to get an indoor ONT from nearby once he make the fiber connection to the nearby post, about 40 feet away. The entire job was scheduled for 4 hours or mroe ...

He measured & used a precut fiber from his van, climb up and bring it down the side of the house, tested it for signal on his portable meter, and after a few minutes, disconnected the TWC's cable run outside, "fished" and pull the black cable into the basement, and proceeded to work inside. The BBU and power supply was mounted along with baseboard next to the grounded outlet, and stapled neatly go up to the ONT - mounted on the plywood board (2" wide by 4" wide by 1/2 in.) A new indoor ONT was finally delivered as his depot ran out of them but it ran into issues with provisioning the ONT once it was hooked up, resulted in calls & about 30 minutes later, it was up & running.

Then, it was a matter of hooking up the wireless modem/router, and the STB's - programming & giving quick demo, and then cleaning up upon loading the apps/widgets from his USB jump drives onto our desktop PC & leaving us with a bunch of guides & booklets, etc. From arrival to finish, the job took about 7 hours - probably could've been done in 5 to 6 hours had everything worked exactly as planned, but he was within his allocated time for the job.

I wasn't sure what he will bring, but we ended up with the newest Actiontec MI424WR Gen3 (Rev.I) wireless "N" router with dual antennas - using WPA2 security as default. For our free DVR for life promo/discount with free STB included, we ended up with the Moto 7232 DVR & QIP2500-3, and 2 HD STB, the Moto QIP7100-2, and 4 identical VZ P265VZ RC for the boxes. This is turely excellent & values for our money for the next 24 months @ $95/mo + taxes/fees, easily saving us $60 to $70 a month with a similar package from TWCNYC.

The wireless N signal is excellent & solid, I changed a number of settings and did my port forwarding for the security camera system, and everything is working as I wanted them to be.

Will be calling TWC later today to cancel services & then a quick trip to the local office to return the equipment so that the credit adjustment/refunds can be processed.

UnnDunn
Premium
join:2005-12-21
Brooklyn, NY

That ONT appears to be pretty f'n huge for an indoor install. I also have an indoor ONT, but mine seems to be significantly smaller.

Cmfko

@verizon.net
reply to mking128

What is a VZ P265vz rc?

mking128

join:2005-08-10
College Point, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to UnnDunn

Click for full size
You are right about its overall size, it looked big but it's flatter than the outdoor ONT installed for the neighbor across the street earlier this year. Tech. used whatever was available in their depot (and delivered by another VZ van) as I wasn't sure if this is the same model he picked up himself initially. The box sure can be made smaller as it has extra room for cables & wiring (provisions for up to 4 telephone lines) and the backup battery, with the extra fiber coiled in the back housing - the small, lower piece could be snapped off as it hide the power supply that's been moved close to the wall outlet near the baseboard about 10 ft. away.

I've seen those cute, small indoor ONT units used for condo/coop installation, and would've been happy if given one. What's important to me is that this is out of the way, protected against the weather & elements: on the bottom of basement stairs next to the electricals & coaxials. Now that the work is done, I will be cleaning up the telephone blocks and the rest of "messes" neatly over to the plywood board if possible. If it's just for Fios, a 2' by 2' plywood would be adequate but I left room for the satellite coaxials that we are keeping for international programming - further out, we will run cat6 wires thru the sheetrock walls & up the ceilings, and add a shelf or two w. brackets for the router(s). When all is done, I wanted to close up that sheetrock cutout with a hinged panel for easier servicing when needed ... (and fully re-insulate that part of the exterior wall/basement as we do get a cold draft in the winter & experience some heating losses)

mking128

join:2005-08-10
College Point, NY
kudos:1
reply to Cmfko

Ooops, it's the Remote Control - we got 4 identical ones so it's easier to use whether we are using it for the MR-DVR, HD-STB or SD-STB.

Cmfko

@verizon.net
reply to UnnDunn

I also have an indoor ONT.

My electric meter is indoors, so the ONT is grounded directly to it, simpler and no need for the power adapter shown in picture number 7.

My ONT is smaller because it does not have the bottom attachment shown in picture number 8.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to mking128

From an engineering design POV I'm not thrilled that they have now placed the battery within and above the ONT. Batteries do leak at times and Ive seen afew that have (heat and age). Sometimes cosmetics and price win out over better design.

Anyway good luck with your FIOS..

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by bohratom:

From an engineering design POV I'm not thrilled that they have now placed the battery within and above the ONT. Batteries do leak at times and Ive seen afew that have (heat and age). Sometimes cosmetics and price win out over better design.

Anyway good luck with your FIOS..

Leaking is not common. I've yet to run into a leaking battery from the dozens of UPS batteries I've I've used over the last seventeen years. My ONT battery is over 4.5 year old and fine as well.

If the battery were to leak and cause damage, FiOS would just replace the whole unit. If there were a problem they would eventually change the design.

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

said by aaronwt:

Leaking is not common.

I didn't imply it was common. Just pointing out that these type of batteries can leak especially due to heat/age. With the older design all they lose is a $100 dollar PSU but now they could lose the ONT which runs around $800-$1K depending on vendor.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16

SFU ONT's are not that expensive - less than $200 total at most....

bohratom

Red Bank NJ

said by nycdave:

SFU ONT's are not that expensive - less than $200 total at most....

Good to hear their prices are much lower now.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3
reply to bohratom

said by bohratom:

said by aaronwt:

Leaking is not common.

I didn't imply it was common. Just pointing out that these type of batteries can leak especially due to heat/age. With the older design all they lose is a $100 dollar PSU but now they could lose the ONT which runs around $800-$1K depending on vendor.

And now after 6 years and seeing several thousand installed batteries, I have not seen one that has leaked.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”