how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

n2jtx

join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

Get Ready To Pay

I have a sneaking suspicion that once users are able to be identified individually through a SIM type card, that billing the individual for usage will become much easier. Also, will carriers supply these cards (for a fee) or will they be included with the device at time of purchase.

I am all for not having to enter user id's and passwords but anything that makes billing life easier for the carriers has to be viewed with caution.
--
I support the right to keep and arm bears.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

I agree, it's about making more money. If they wanted to make it simple then every company offering free wifi just has to publish the AP name and password and use the same for all locations. If they default it into the pho.. targeted SIM carrying devices settings then it just connects with no hassle but lacks that old time cash register cha-ching.

I'll also add that I don't think these likely paid services should be hogging up the public wifi channels either. If they're targeting 3G and better devices (SIM cards remember), then they can put their own damn mini cell site in and backhaul it on the same internet connection they're leaching for the wifi.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
reply to n2jtx

said by n2jtx:

I have a sneaking suspicion that once users are able to be identified individually through a SIM type card, that billing the individual for usage will become much easier

Yep, you're absolutely correct. Here's the real motivation. Now they'll switch you back and forth between WiFi and carrier network and still charge you for all of it.

Even better: Your ISP will also charge you for it when you're on your own Wi-Fi so you get to pay *twice* for the usage.

Huzzah. Isn't the lack of competition and market failure grand.
--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

en103

join:2011-05-02
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to firephoto

I'm sure that carriers like At&t (and others) will use this to save and make money at the same time.

1. SIM card authentication (better/simpler control) - device limited
2. You can effectively be forced to wifi by default (unless you disable WiFi ) - I wonder if this will 'override' WiFi disabling ?
3. Less secure? Targeted devices with WiFi SIM auth - can your SIM be sniffed ?

Since WiFi is relatively cheap (corporate DSL ~$50/month to backhaul), and equipment is cheap, spectrum is effectively free... I see carriers getting into this BIG time.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to n2jtx

SIMS are a basic component of all GSM phones, if your on AT&T or T-mobile you already have one, also 4G LTE uses sim cards my verizon phone has a sim card, by the time these are deployed all new devices will already come with a sim card.

As for charging for wifi I wouldn't put it past them to put caps on wifi usage as well, maybe just a higher cap on wifi usage to encourage you to turn wifi on most of the time.

Of course your old home and work wifi will still be available and free you'll set that up the way you always did.