Premium
join:2004-11-29
Corpus Christi, TX
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to neonturbo

Re: [Rant] $&!%* Re-Captcha!

said by neonturbo:

I get the point of the Captcha, but they don't have to swirl it so much that it looks like something from a 70's acid trip.

As a site administrator myself and a forum admin on a website I help out I can tell you that helps prevent hundreds upon hundreds of spam bots from signing up every month. It's something I have to deal with on daily basis and its not fun. It's something I have been going very easy on with my site. I don't have it set that strict so some do get through the captcha.

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN
reply to sivran
The second word is actually a word scanned from a book that was not recognized by the OCR software. If you get the actual captcha word right they assume the word scan is right and update the online book scan word. That is the "Re" in Re-Captcha, using it for more than just security validation.

I can tell you that without captcha the site would get spammed into oblivion as I have had to resort to it on many of my websites as well just to slow down the stem of spambots etc.

Hopefully there will be a better way someday.
--
Onsite Computer Support in Memphis
»www.memphispcguy.com

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
kudos:1
reply to jester121
What's wrong with using those things like what's 4+2=? type questions?

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
said by Subaru:

What's wrong with using those things like what's 4+2=? type questions?

bots can be coded to solve math stuff.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to jester121

We all know who to blame for these captchas: FUCKA SPAMMERS

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
reply to CptGemini

Re: [Rant] $&!%* Re-Captcha!

said by CptGemini:

said by neonturbo:

I get the point of the Captcha, but they don't have to swirl it so much that it looks like something from a 70's acid trip.

As a site administrator myself and a forum admin on a website I help out I can tell you that helps prevent hundreds upon hundreds of spam bots from signing up every month. It's something I have to deal with on daily basis and its not fun. It's something I have been going very easy on with my site. I don't have it set that strict so some do get through the captcha.

for the user account creation? does it have the whole "if you cant read this, or hear this, click this link to have us create an account for you" thing? if so, does any one actually monitor that account? ive had a few places where i just flat out could not make out the captcha at all and tryd that method, never heard from them.

i get using it to help prevent spam bots, but as a wordpress blog owner/admin i know that akismet works better than captcha, youd be surprised by how many bots get past the captcha thanks to "services" that pay people to sit on the computer and solve captchas all day...

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
reply to jester121
Ya think that's bad, check this one out....

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
reply to thedragonmas
our forum uses phpbb, i have tried to add mods to it to help prevent more spam but they all take too long. i wanted to use re-captcha since it does a better job at fooling the bots but it doesnt work right now. it'll show captchas for a bit then it won't be there at all.

ive personally just resulted in to banning entire IP blocks (not just single IPs) of the ones that actually post something once they get through.

Sukunai
Premium
join:2008-05-07
Reviews:
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 recommendation

reply to jester121
The point of a captcha, is basically the same as the point of anti piracy software.

And what is truly sad, is captchas work precisely as well, which is not at all.

I go to a game site precisely to laugh at the total lack of success they have in defeating automated spam bots that leave messages that almost look like a human typed them. It's incredible how they get spammed every damned day. It's a commercial forum, and yet they are defenseless against the spam. They have a sub forum for news announcements, and yet the site seems to have not one person that has the ability to understand 'you can always disabled comments and lock the threads out to all bu the management'.

So as a result, seeing that a new comment has been made to a news thread, usually just means it was spammed. It kills the worth of a news sub forum. Does a fine job of making the company management also look clumsy and unskilled too.

There ARE methods that can defeat captchas, but the site management requires sufficient brains and IQ level to elect to use them.

But that is the same deal with anti piracy methods I suppose. Just because a company was capable of opening business, doesn't mean the company is run by people with brains. Fools and their money are soon parted. And the business world is full of fools indeed.

I loathe captchas, and generally will walk away when required to employ one. I rarely need something on the internet that badly.

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN
reply to CptGemini
said by CptGemini:

ive personally just resulted in to banning entire IP blocks (not just single IPs) of the ones that actually post something once they get through.

Add ZBBLOCK to your php based forum. It is amazing.
--
Onsite Computer Support in Memphis
»www.memphispcguy.com

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
reply to jester121
After dealing with brain-twisters like

»captcha

I joined the Captcha Brotherhood. It's a mechanism where we solve recaptchas for each other when we have time. You get points for every recaptcha solved and points are deducted when others solve the recaptchas for us. Right now it works only with file hosting services.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19

1 recommendation

reply to jester121

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
I found that cartoon the other day and sent it to a colleague of mine, was good for a laugh. I'm not sure our vendor would be amused, however.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to caffeinator
That's pretty easy to read. Probably for bots too.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Archivis
WOW who would actually go through the trouble of finding those symbols?

LOL @ it

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA
reply to sivran
said by sivran:

That's pretty easy to read. Probably for bots too.

Easy to read the characters, yes. But, you only can type the letters with the *asterisks*...which is a PITA.

That example was a bit clearer than most. Try this one late at night:

yikes!

It's basically a type of a human readable challenge question like I use on one of my forums. But theirs is evil.
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
That one looks pretty easy to me too. Maybe I'm just better with red on black.

CptGemini
Inside your computer
Premium
Corpus Christi, TX
reply to MemphisPCGuy
said by MemphisPCGuy:

said by CptGemini:

Add ZBBLOCK to your php based forum. It is amazing.

You aren't kidding lol. I noticed a huge performance boost in page load times once I put it in and I only put it in on the ucp and viewtopic pages. It may of been something else though that caused the boost in page load times on the forum. Sometimes our server for some unknown reason uses up like 99% of 8GB of ram and I know it can't be anything I am running.

It's not 100% accurate but you can see some server info here: »www.akaskriller.com/phpsysinfo/i···=dynamic

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
kudos:2
reply to caffeinator
i don't see how that would be hard for a bot to decipher. ocr detection of the characters would be extremely easy. then you simply program the bot to loop through the first string and store the position of the asterisks in an array: {0,2,3,4,6,7,9} Then you loop through the second string appending the characters at each position identified in the array to a string that is then inserted into the text field on the page.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Sukunai
said by Sukunai:

And what is truly sad, is captchas work precisely as well, which is not at all.

You don't run any internet discussion boards or blog sites, do you?
No Captcha - many many Spam posts & spam comments. Captcha - nearly no spam posts or spam comments.

It works very very well.

re-Captcha usually includes "get an audio challenge" too, if you can't read the weird stuff.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to jester121
you have to weigh evil captchas VS spam bots.. I my experience running forums and publicly open pages with comment fields, you HAVE to have some way pf defeating machine based spammers.

The captcha is a decent way currently ( we also use a q&a and Topic Knowledge based questions on our big forum)

thing is now, we're seeing a bunch of new levels of spam where the spammer manually signs up or where re-captcha is hacked and getting through, posting their ugg or Jordan chinese shoes, watch rip-off, NFL jerseys, and so on.

with out this it would be a insane spamfest on any user content based site.

Learn to deal with them - love em or hate em, you will have to use them.
--
Webmaster - Steve
- - - - - - - - - - - -
»www.1-gb.net
»www.ppnstudio.com

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 recommendation

reply to thedragonmas
said by thedragonmas:

being legally blind, i absolutely DESPIZE captchas. oh sure some of them have the "alternate audio method" that i have to crank my speakers to max and hope to hell i figure them out.

No offense, but computers are inherently visual tools. The ADA already shackles businesses and government with ridiculous and disproportional requirements. I have a chronic gastrointestinal disease, but I don't ask for special toilets.

thedragonmas

join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA

1 recommendation

said by ctggzg:

said by thedragonmas:

being legally blind, i absolutely DESPIZE captchas. oh sure some of them have the "alternate audio method" that i have to crank my speakers to max and hope to hell i figure them out.

No offense, but computers are inherently visual tools. The ADA already shackles businesses and government with ridiculous and disproportional requirements. I have a chronic gastrointestinal disease, but I don't ask for special toilets.

"shackles" ? really ?

point of sale machines are inherently visual tools, i guess if i cant see them the clerk shouldnt be required to give me assistance? so i can just walk out with out paying right?

cross walks, are inherently visual, but i guess we dont need laws that state blind people with canes get right of way no matter the color of the traffic light. after all, if they get ran over, to bad for them right?

i guess it costs a business billions a year to help out a blind person at a point of sale machine, and to put in ramps for wheelchairs (one time cost during construction, amazing shackle huh?)

let me guess, we should obolish the ada and civil rights laws and let businesses do as they please, after all, theyl all "do the right thing" right?

and i guess im supposed to pay people to do these things for me right?

and exactly how did the ADA fit in to this any way? at no point did i state that any law needed to be wrote, simply that i dispized captchas because of my vision.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA
reply to jester121
Click for full size
This is weird.

Google ReCaptcha now even wants to know the house number, snipped out of Googles street view...

thegeek
Premium
join:2008-02-21
right here
Probably to more accurately determine addresses. I know that when I enter my address it used to be off by a couple houses. But now it shows correct.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jester121
May not be related to this thread, but I have been getting them on my Droid X2 for past few months.
Seems random when they appear but how the heck are you supposed to enter those tiny swirly characters on a cell phone with the tiny keyboard ( that my fat fingers mess up anyway )?!

Are there any known apps that can cause these things to appear?
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Emerging Research
join:2000-08-06
DSotM
reply to jester121
Now this is a captcha!

»random.irb.hr/signup.php

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
reply to jmorlan
What can you spend those credits on?

caffeinator
Premium
WA, USA
said by dvd536:

Math camp?
--

My 9/11 Tribute..online since 9/14/01
Need an Avatar? Check out Wafen's Avatar Pages

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA
reply to dvd536
said by dvd536:

You trade them to other members when they solve re-captcha's for you.