Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

[Tech] monolight pc sync issue..

While the mono light (interfit EX100A) has a slave cell it's not right since when the flash fires I see nothing from the monolight.. However it seems with the pc sync cable connected it will fire whenever it wants to. I read 3.9 V on the PC-sync connection on the 10D body.

pkalona
Wannabe GWC
Premium Member
join:2002-06-29
San Carlos, CA

pkalona

Premium Member

Re: [Light] monolight pc sync issue..

Could it be being triggered by a pre-flash in slave mode?

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Yeah it was the pre-flash.. if I did the pre-flash manually by pressing the button I could see that it fired in sync and showed up in a test picture.

But tell me if this is normal since it's been so long since I've done so.. I can't tell if it's still a bad cable or what..

If I fire the camera at the monolight with the flash down and PC-sync cable in the strobe fires.. However if I face the camera away and take a picture the strobe does not go off.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

Sure it's not a bad cable? Shifting the camera could be causing a disconnect inside the sheathing, or breaking contact with the camera or light at the ends.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

Could be..I should of thrown in that pc sync cable with my order.
Subaru

Subaru

Premium Member

Ok now I think it's a issue on the 10D...

I'm playing with the strobe now..

with the sync cable plugged in the strobe fires with the ring and pin are grounded every single time.. it has a voltage of 3.7V.

I'm not sure what's going on with the 10D other then it's not doing what the strobe wants..

pkalona
Wannabe GWC
Premium Member
San Carlos, CA

pkalona to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
It sounds like the strobe is still triggering off the flash even when the pc sync is connected. Is there a way to disable the slave triggering from the camera flash? It just sounds like some setting is wrong. You could try using a hotshoe adapter to link to the strobes and see if that works.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

it's always been like that from day one I'm talking about if I short the pin and ring terminal on the sync cable while it's plugged in it triggers the strobe.

No setting on the monolight it's basic.. I'm about to move it to highlight a background subject and get two others for the main.

pkalona
Wannabe GWC
Premium Member
San Carlos, CA

pkalona

Premium Member

The polarity for a 10D sync cord needs to be reversed for studio strobes. Its on page 106 in the 10D manual.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

See PM