Search similar:

uniqs

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon

Moving to the Monterey Area...

In about 4 weeks I'm moving to the Monterey area for a job.

I will have about 1 week to locate myself an apartment or house for rent from 4/14 - 4/21.

What are the areas I should stay away from. I obviously don't want to be near groups of apartment buildings that accept Section 8. Like Northeast Marina.

I would prefer a single family home, 2br, for $1500/mo or less - but it looks like most of these are in Salinas. And a friend told me that I probably want to stay away from there although there are some good areas...

If I can't get a home, I'd at least want a fairly large apartment - 2br, no less than 1000 sq. ft and hopefully a nice sized master bedroom (that would fit a cali-king size bedroom set)

Can anyone suggest or recommend local rental companies I could speak with in advance of coming out there to prepare a list of properties to look at?

I've been dredging craigslist but I am aware of the scams and will not be putting any money down to "hold" a place unless of course it's through a reputable agency.

- FM

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Jtmo

Premium Member

Can't help, but nice area though a weeeeee bit colder than Long Beach, less people, much more laid back. Have fun.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon

Trying to find out how much this place costs...

»www.rereader.com/listman ··· 46.shtml

Apparently it's furnished. I could save the cost of a Uhaul trip and use that money towards any extra rent due for at least the first 6 months there...

- FM

shinjuru

join:2000-10-29
West Coast

shinjuru to FutureMon

to FutureMon
There are a ton of nice rentals in the Pacific Grove grove area. Closer to Monterey coming from Salinas, off of California State Route 68 could be a lot of possible rentals. The Marina area has went through a ton of changes when Fort Ord closed and changed over to Cal State Monterey Bay. I wouldn't completely rule it out as a possible spot for renting, now that it's a college town.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon

Think I've settled on a place.

for $985/mo with a 6 month lease I get a furnished studio apt. It's pretty small @ 345 sq. ft, but includes a full kitchen.

At the top, east end of Seaside, and it's only about 6 miles from the job straight down the general so-and-so highway past the airport.

»maps.google.com/maps?q=5 ··· 955&z=16

There was a furnished studio apartment in pacific grove about a block from the beach going for $1295/mo - but the drive to work would be right through the middle of PG and Monterey; adding about 20 minutes minimum to the morning commute...but it comes with "ooh ahh" the beach is a block and a half away and it's nestled amongst lots of trees.

I'd rather save the cash and set it aside for a bigger better place later on down the road.

Anyone got any feedback on the cable/internet company Suddenlink?

Apparently my only choices are Suddenlink or AT&T for cable and internet.

- FM
FutureMon

2 edits

FutureMon

So now I have a dilemma.

I got an email back from the lady in the apartment complex who was going to rent a room and a bathroom to me for $600/mo - the one who lives in the same apartment complex as the one I essentially just chose for the furnished studio @ $985/mo.

I had sent her an email previously saying that I had found a furnished studio in the same complex for $985/mo and that I was probably going to take that instead. She replied "I was looking forward to meeting you; Thought you'd have been a good roommate..."

So now, I'm wondering if the extra $385/mo for my "own place" is really worth the difference. Have access to a much larger 2br apartment with a private room and bathroom or be in a 345sq. ft place I can call my own and do what I want when I want.

The studio comes with a 6 month lease, so I'm stuck there that long even if I find a better place sooner than that.

The sub-let would be month-to-month and I'd be saving more than the additional $385/mo in the process by not having to carry my own cable/internet and utilities...

I'm trying to get her to answer my question regarding whether or not she was going to tell apartment management about the sub-let or not. She's apparently had people in there before, and the last thing I want to do is get in trouble or be told I can't stay because she got in trouble by not telling them. I don't like trying to hide things like that.

Next question; if I were to take her up on the room and stay there for say, 3 months, when I find a new place how do I account for that period of time in the new rental agreement "prior residence" listing. If the sub-let is all on the up-and-up with the apartment then it's no big deal, otherwise it seems like I'd be "off the grid" and it might be a problem to who I try to rent from next. Even with utilities it's sort of like that auto insurance question "how long have you had continuous insurance..."

I don't have a lot of experience when it comes to things like this.

- FM
FutureMon

FutureMon

She did get back to me and stated that it would all be on the up-and-up, that the apartment complex would be notified of my stay, so I'd get my own access card etc etc...

so it looks like I'll probably take her up on the offer. Going to drive out this weekend to take a look at the room to see what's there and what I may be able to fit of my own stuff...

- FM

Jtmo
Premium Member
Novato, CA

Jtmo to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
Unless you are into wild sex in your room, go with the roomate and save the money. Bigger place, someone to watch your stuff when you are gone.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon

I did ask what her policy was on overnight guests other than "can't be every night" and she said her current roommate does not have them and that she likes her privacy on the weekends, so the whole wild sex thing is out the window (unless of course it turns out SHE likes me in that way...lol)

...And that's not the most important thing for me to be thinking about right now. One month after my start date I will finally have health insurance and I'ma be spending a lot of time fixing issues that I have been putting off...but yeah, she's got me to watch the apartment when she's not there too.

- FM

AlphaOne
I see
Premium Member
join:2004-02-21

AlphaOne to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
Are you going to sign a lease with her?
Just a thought. Make sure you're protected.
It should be clear on what things you're responsible for, and what things are included in the lease. Put these on writing if you don't have the proper lease agreement.

And also, make it known to her that you can leave anytime without further obligations after you leave, aside from your monthly rent of course.

Renting room is great, saves you money while just familiarizing yourself with the new place.

Good luck.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon

Yes I asked her if she and I were going to set up our own agreement (nothing as intricate as what Sheldon from big bang theory would create lol) but something. And I asked her how she would want to handle my initial rent since I'd presumably be moving in on the 14th.

Still waiting on her response to my coming out tomorrow for a visit. I may have to call her when I get home instead of waiting for an email response. (Her # is on a prior email that already downloaded to my home machine)

- FM

Jtmo
Premium Member
Novato, CA

1 recommendation

Jtmo to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
Cohabitation Rider

Gets activated when Leonard starts "living with" a girlfriend in the apartment.

"A girlfriend shall be deemed "living with" Leonard when she has stayed over for A: ten consecutive nights or B: for more than nine nights in a three-week period or C: all the weekends of a given month plus three weeknights."

Upon implementation the clause activates the following provisions:
a change in the distribution of shelves in the fridge (instead of Leonard and Sheldon having two separate shelves and one communal shelf, the three parties will then have one individual shelf each and the door becomes communal
apartment vacuuming shall be increased from two to three times a week to accommodate the increased accumulation of dead skin cells
a change in the bathroom schedule

The girlfriend also has to sign that:

"she does not now nor does she intend to play percussive or brass instruments"

Or you can go with the less intrusive:
»www.lawdepot.com/contrac ··· odXUY82g