how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY

1 recommendation

What is this guy talking about?

I've had an Asus RT-N16 for years now and I'm a hardcore gamer. I push terabytes of traffic every month. I just checked and its uptime is 183 days. It's only an $80 router and it seems to be getting the job done just fine.

Just get one of these these things, toss DD-WRT on it, and call it a day.

Going to the effort of building your own router and configuring a Linux install is rather ridiculous for the home user. I am the definition of a power user and this stock router with DD-WRT has served me just fine.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

said by 45612019:

I am the definition of a power user and this stock router with DD-WRT has served me just fine.

that definition created by you.
Do you use ipsec point to point vpn tunnel? or 1:1 nat? how about outbound firewalling rules? captive portal? ldap authentication?
how many users are on your network? how big is your states table? how many concurrent connections do you have right now?

just because RT-N16+ddwrt is enough FOR YOU, doesn't mean everybody should be using it.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

tomato

@rr.com
reply to 45612019
Yep, awesome little white box. It only goes down quarterly when I reboot it to update the Tomato build (Toastman). QoS allows me to keep my VoIP line, web browsing, and gaming unaffected by BitTorrent traffic. I run an OpenVPN server off the box, which allowed me to shut off a PC I kept on for that purpose. Finally the print server means I don't have to keep that same PC on for network printing.

Emiya

join:2006-03-30
Southington, OH

1 recommendation

reply to 45612019
Uh-huh. Lets see you run Snort on that. DD-WRT is great for turning a Linksys into a ghetto managed switch with an access point but it's implementations of just about everything have a lot of bugs in it. Even running Optware your still lacking a lot of features like intrusion detection.

QoS is barely usable when it's not broken. Your lacking the ability to throttle individual IPs or subnets, unless you want to get into some advanced scripting.

Also, unless your running Kong's builds, WAN routing throughput sucks and if you've got more than 50mbps down DD-WRT will be a bottleneck. Tomato is superior in this respect.

Don't get me wrong, it's fine if it works for you. My wireless AP is a E3000 with DD-WRT, but compared to my pfSense box it's a toy. Just because it fits your needs doesn't mean there is no room to improve for users who have the skills or those looking to learn.

Davesworld

join:2007-10-30
Everett, WA
Snort? Why would you run Snort on anything? Most of the rules end up being bogus plus you waste 100MB of memory per monitored interface.