telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Re: [DTA] Disney Jr.?

said by telcodad:

Yes, the reverse case is what's happening with the TCM and truTV channels in many areas this year - they have been moved to the Preferred Digital tier and customers have found they are now missing on their DTAs: »[DTA] TCM Moved from Dig. Starter to Dig. Premium

So far, these channels are still working on my DTAs. I read somewhere that these channels were always on the Preferred Digital tier in original Comcast systems, but were grandfathered on the Starter/Expanded Basic tier for systems that had been taken over by Comcast.

The cable system in my area was originally operated by Storer Communications (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St ··· ications), so that's why we probably can still watch TCM on our DTAs. Don't know how much longer this will last though.

Looks like there may be another reason that I still can watch TCM with my DTAs (there is FiOS in my area):

FCC: Cable operators charge 31% less for expanded basic channels in competitive markets
FierceCable - March 20, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/stor ··· 12-03-20

"The FCC concludes that the significant decrease in price per channel that cable operators charge in markets where they face competition from cable overbuilders shows that "operators in effective competition communities carry more channels on expanded basic than operators in noncompetitive communities."

Comcast and other pay TV distributors have moved niche networks such as Turner Classic Movies and some regional sports channels from expanded basic to more expensive programming tiers. The FCC data shows that operators are less likely to kick expanded basic channels onto more expensive tiers in highly competitive markets, where they are more apt to market a large package of expanded basic channels to customers.

For the year ending Dec. 31, 2010, cable operators in markets that faced competition from both satellite rivals DirecTV and Dish Network, in addition to at least one competing cable provider such as Verizon, offered 129 expanded basic channels to subscribers. In non-competitive markets, cable operators carried 112 expanded basic channels, according to the FCC report."

Mountlaurel
@comcast.net

Mountlaurel

Anon

I would like to see "Boomerang Channel" added to my area