Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2
reply to odog

Re: Not worth it

said by odog:

good point... I had no idea how much money I was spending until I switched back from a monowall box to a Netgear WNDR3700.... it was costing me about $10 a month to power it!

Newer hardware is significantly better, particularly the Intel Sandybridge CPUs. A G630T system w/ DDR3 ram, SSD storage, and high efficiency power supply will idle around 20W and absolutely obliterate an Atom processor in benchmarks. Most handy if you want to run snort and other services on the box.

I actually run my linux router image as a Xen VM on a box that I use for home NAS to get the biggest bang for the buck.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by espaeth:

Newer hardware is significantly better, particularly the Intel Sandybridge CPUs. A G630T system w/ DDR3 ram, SSD storage, and high efficiency power supply will idle around 20W and absolutely obliterate an Atom processor in benchmarks. Most handy if you want to run snort and other services on the box.

Wait...you're suggesting using that hardware for a router? Crap. I just had almost that exact same hardware (G620T instead of the G630T) delivered today as my entire HTPC.