Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

1 recommendation

Noah Vail to ConstantineM

Premium Member

to ConstantineM

I run a Pentium 4 3GHz HT for my home router

But then I have a mail server here and 2 Hyper-V servers hosting 12 VMs that users RDP into.

My pfSense router is on an old Dell P4HT that absolutely rocks in performance.

It fends off between 15k and 50k spam attempts every day.

I can have multiple instances of uTorrent with the QoS keeping my VoIP and RDP solid 100% of the time.

My uTorrent and Spam blocking require just under 500k CIDRs tabled in memory. They get referenced against most every packet.

At the same time I have squidGuard running as a content proxy and Unbound delivering DNSSEC to every machine here.

All the while my CPU avgs ~4-8%. I'm not sure an Atom would keep up with the demand.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

said by Noah Vail:

All the while my CPU avgs ~4-8%. I'm not sure an Atom would keep up with the demand.

[att=1]

My atom runs fine, no matter how much I do with my box (HAVP, Snort, squid). It's also dual core unlike your Pentium 4.

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by fifty nine:

My atom runs fine, no matter how much I do with my box (HAVP, Snort, squid). It's also dual core unlike your Pentium 4.

While HT isn't Dual Core, it isn't zero either - at least on this platform.
I've compared pfSense on P4s w/ and w/o HT and the performance gain was substantial.

Above P4s, I either run an AMD64 box or Dual Xeon 800MHz FSB w/ RAID 5 SATAs.
Whatever is cheap.

I've already got 8-10 Windows boxes at home + 2 HP 4000 Laserjets and who knows what else.
My customers are in Officeplexs and Industrial warehouses.

The $30 in power savings just isn't a strong selling point for me.
I do the environment thing by keeping old stuff out the landfill.

and
Today I added an IKE VPN to my pfSense config. 2048 bit PSK 3DES wrapped around a Blowfish encrypted ESP layer and the CPU still doesn't budge. Nyah.