Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44 to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew

Re: House ran off Line extender

Test point on a line extender? Line extenders only have one output and the test point around here would be the tap hooked to it. They more than likely moved the line when it was cut. They probably layed the temp and had a guy come out later with a scope and sniffer. Probably gave it max signal when they used the sniffer.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by rody_44:

Test point on a line extender? Line extenders only have one output and the test point around here would be the tap hooked to it.

You must've gotten all the cheap ones. Every one I've seen from SA, Arris, GI, Texscan, and Magnovox have them. On the input and output side.

Problem is getting to them without opening the lid as not many lids have pass-through ports now, since it's optional and cost extra.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Inside yes, but i worked for comcast for more than 10 years and now work for service electric. Never have i seen the test ports outside where a drop can be hooked to it.
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to DocDrew

to DocDrew
there was a F connector on the top and one on the bottom that looked like a standard cable connector, and next to it was a couple of large ports where the really thick feeder cable tied into it.. this is an older SciAtl LE I guess they where pass through ports, not exactly sure, only going by what the line man said he was pretty shocked it was connected there, he called out someone else and that person was the one that said just leave it connected to that.. *scratches head* I duno, all I know is the power levels coming out of that port are +24db after it goes through the grounding block and the temp patch they put in for now (line was cut) it loses a bit of signal... they checked the signal at the other ped and it was going out at +10db but it only had two connectors on it and they didn't seem to want to switch it out for a tap with more ports... since this is getting retrenched, I'd rather have it done right then done "quick"... all this was done under adelphia previously... this is the first time comcast worked on this leg of the network since then apparently where a reconfiguration was needed
neufuse

neufuse to rody_44

to rody_44
There was an about 3/4" thick cable going in the top of it, and one the same width going out the bottom.. there was no tap in the ped, the cable that is hooked up to the "test port" I'm only calling it that because the line guy called it that., is the old cable that was cut, he was suprised it was hooked up there as there was no tap... we don't have a temp cable yet, all they did was patch the cut on the old cable so far with a RG6 cable and ran that to the house, so from the patch to the Ped is still the "320" cable which is underground

SeaSeaTee5
join:2010-05-06
Maryland

SeaSeaTee5 to rody_44

to rody_44
The GI's we have here have screw in plugs in the housings to access some if not all of the test ports on an LE. They can be useful for checking noise on the return leg output. 1 port cap to unscrew instead of 6 bolts to loosen

flwpwr
@comcast.net

flwpwr to rody_44

Anon

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Inside yes, but i worked for comcast for more than 10 years and now work for service electric. Never have i seen the test ports outside where a drop can be hooked to it.

Go look at the old General Electric stuff then, removable cap on the front cover that opens a hole directly to the internal test ports. And I mean OLD stuff had this, newer moto still has it, since they bought general electric and use basically the same case designs, if only it was more exact since a lot times they just don't line up to a usable level. Making it better to just open the case instead of risk wasting time.

As to the OP, possible he is coming out of a Pin2F off the actual output of a LE or more likely Bridger. And yes this is stupid any noise from loose fittings, bad fittings, whatever, you shoot straight into the system then. Which should be a REAL MEN OF GENIUS commercial all to itself. Sacrificing the entire network stability for that extra 3 dB - real men of genius.

QR320 off of a output port on a Bridger = maintenance is going to kill them when they find them after tracking down the HSI/CDV outage from noise when they screwed up the QR 320 fitting. YAY. You either have a long drop and they though you needed the extra omph, or they just did not want to cut in a tap, probably a contractor who gets paid piece work, typical idiocy they do...
flwpwr

flwpwr

Anon

bah extra 13 dB >
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to flwpwr

to flwpwr
I wouldn't consider a ~100ft drop a long drop, but that's me *lol* it was a whole 100ish ft from the grounding block on my house to the ped in my yard... I think they just didn't want to bore under the road to get to the closest ped

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to DocDrew

MVM

to DocDrew
Nice Arris shots. I forget sometimes they bought CCOR. CCOR bought Magnavox too, so there's many Magnavox housings here with CCOR guts in them.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by cypherstream:

Nice Arris shots.

They should be, they're off the Arris website.

Although I've used both of those amp types from the original makers with the lids that have test point passthrough covers on them.

I've also used that rebadged Magnavox LE housing in a "micro" node type function with fiber in and RF out.